Ludwig Classic Maples?

robthetimekeeper

My newest kit.
This kit was advertised as Ludwig Rockers and even though all the heads are Rockers heads, I'm pretty sure they are not Rocker shells.

I have been trying to figure out what they are but I get confused because they have the long lugs. Also, there are Standard, Classic, Super Classic, Maple Classic, etc.. I can't tell the difference.

I think they are 6 ply maple with the outer layers being much thinner than the inner ones. Would the bass drum hoop be the same as the shells?

Sizes are 10x9 12x11 14x14 20x16. Came with a 14x5 supra.
All the badges are Monroe with serial numbers of 332xxxx
The bass and toms have black ink "105" inside and the snare has "095". What does this mean?

I'd really like to know what they are, when they were made, and how much they are worth.
Any info would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 975
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 1,132
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 741
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 742
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 733
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 745
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 740
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 743
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 740
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 735
Kit is mid-'80s or later, those are the dreaded 6-ply "thick" shells. Not as horrible as everyone thought, they were actually great rock drums. But the thicker shells and heavy-duty hardware robbed them of any jazz or quietish, expressive sounds that the older 3-ply drums had.

Fusion & rock, yeah. Jazz trio, no.

Bermuda

...6-ply "thick" shells. Not as horrible as everyone thought, they were actually great rock drums.
Yup .... 6 ply. With the Mach lugs .... and modular hardware. I think about 85, was when the Classic line moved to Monroe. The 6 ply shell came out in 1976, and the modular hardware came out in 1980.​
Nice tubs.​

Kit is mid-'80s or later, those are the dreaded 6-ply "thick" shells. Not as horrible as everyone thought, they were actually great rock drums. But the thicker shells and heavy-duty hardware robbed them of any jazz or quietish, expressive sounds that the older 3-ply drums had.

Fusion & rock, yeah. Jazz trio, no.

Bermuda

i was just gonna mention, "why do the lugs look massive on the floor tom?"

those are the dreaded 6-ply "thick" shells. Not as horrible as everyone thought, they were actually great rock drums. Bermuda

Definitely not for jazz. They are very heavy! Won't know what they sound like till I get some decent heads on the toms. Those rockers heads aren't very pleasing to my ears.

Nice tubs.​

Thanks! I dig the natural finish and the smaller sizes.

i was just gonna mention, "why do the lugs look massive on the floor tom?"

Apparently, they were offered with either classic lugs or mach lugs. I think the mach lugs were more rare. Maybe because nobody wanted the extra weight!

If you got them at a Rockers price then you did real good.

They were practically free. ;) Couldn't pass 'em up!

Back