Club Date project begins

I check this thread 10 times a day.
Well, makes me happy to see this thread has some "devoted" followers. So today, the 12 got sanded. Both toms are dated 1966 ... the kick is dated 1940. The bearing edges will be left factory. I'm being "very" careful, not to screw them up. I won't even try to take the paint off the tom edges. They will remain "old school".​

Attachments

• 12 resized.jpg
    12 resized.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 852
I like them better seeing that gorgeous grain. The Duco was in bad shape. Plus they were mismatched orphans. You are doing these drums a solid, a kindness, making them into a family and giving them a whole new lease on life. They will be happy drums again.

You said the kick is from 1940. Would that be a mahogany shell?

They will be happy drums again.
Indeed, happy drums.​

You said the kick is from 1940. Would that be a mahogany shell?
Every Duco drum I've ever come across has maple underneath. Mahogany is too porous, and would require extra steps (priming and sanding) to get a smooth finish. Cheaper to use maple than pay for the extra labor, is what I figure. Now, the kick has "darker" wood than the toms, for sure. Don't know if that's because of the age, or what .... but best I can tell, it's maple inside and out.​

So,,, Uhh,,, Are you done yet?
I figured that we would be seeing Youtube vids of this kit by now :)

Sorry about the delay, gents. The weather right now (and all week) has been down right hot. And even hotter in my garage. So it goes. And so I go to the beach.​
Perhaps tomorrow, or Monday, UPS will be bringing me some Ludwig 3 ply's. Keystone badge, 20, 13, 16, 1969 vintage. Clear maple interior and exterior. Pics to follow, on that, as well.​

Great. You're down at the beach, tanning yourself, living like a king and here we are desperately waiting on you while you live it up. Hey, it's OK, take your time, whatever. We understand. :)

OK .... good news and bad news. The bad news is I still haven't worked on the Club Dates. Too hot. The good news ...... just because it's hot don't mean you can't buy more drums. In this case, 1969 Ludwig's ..... 13" rack, and a 16" floor.​
And oh, by the way, the beach has been fantastic.​

Attachments

• 69's resized.jpg
    69's resized.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 655
Yea, the 13 and the 16 will really work with that bass.
I love my 22, 13, 16, Club Date 2012.

Yea, the 13 and the 16 will really work with that bass.
The 26, 12, 14 .... that's the Club Date project. I also scored a beautiful 20x14 (birdseye maple) Club Date Luddie shell w/hoops.​
The "newest" 13/16 will be replacing my Luddie 6 ply 26, 13, 16, 18 kit. Two drums down, two to go.​

Harry, I just wrote to tell you that I have lost all hope in this thread and seeing those beautifully restored vintage luddies. So I leave this thread along with all my hopes and dreams. I wish it well.

...also your floor tom is still upside down.

In lament,

The Red Menace

Harry - we're waiting with bated breath as to how this project is progressing. We need some visual stimulation.

...also your floor tom is still upside down.
But at least it's a different floor tom.​
Harry - we're waiting with bated breath as to how this project is progressing. We need some visual stimulation.
Yeah, I'm a bad, bad, boy, and I need to be spanked. No more progress on the Club Dates. Life has it's way of throwing a wrench into the works .... but visual stimulation, I can provide. (and no, I'm not going back to motion avatars) I landed a 26x14 Gretsch kick. Gonna turn it into a round badge. I love my 20, 13, 16 .... but a 26, 13, 16 .... that's more my kinda kit.​

Attachments

• reso resize.jpg
    reso resize.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 372
  • batter resize.jpg
    batter resize.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 397
Back