Die cast hoops

ANIMALBEATS

Silver Member
What are they for and when are they useful...?

And would they soud good on dw keller shells...?

They dry out a drum, making it more punchy and less resonant. They are also more stable at holding a tuning.

Whether the change in sound they make is an improvement or not is a judgment call. Alas, it's damned expensive to experiment with them.

tuning is a dream.
j

I've got one kit with diecast and one with triple flange. I like them both equally.

I find that the diecast is harder to tune, due to them being so rigid, less flexible. I've heard a lot of other people say that, too.

I've got one kit with diecast and one with triple flange. I like them both equally.

I find that the diecast is harder to tune, due to them being so rigid, less flexible. I've heard a lot of other people say that, too.

You find contrary to the law of physics...More rigidity equals even tensioning across the head even in between the lugs as opposed to less rigidity allowing the hoop to flex in between the lugs and the head tension to be reduced at those points.......

My experience has been that they are easier to tune and maintain a tuning longer, where due to the rigidity when one lug loosens up, it affects the over all sound or tuning less...

I think this is one of the things they are known for in comparison to triple flanged hoops...

I like them on my snares too, I noticed a big difference when changed to diecast, but toms I can't really tell much of a difference. I think they tune easier, they flex less than triple flanged. I can't explain why I notice more of a difference on snares than toms, but I definitely do.

You find contrary to the law of physics...More rigidity equals even tensioning across the head even in between the lugs as opposed to less rigidity allowing the hoop to flex in between the lugs and the head tension to be reduced at those points.......

My experience has been that they are easier to tune and maintain a tuning longer, where due to the rigidity when one lug loosens up, it affects the over all sound or tuning less...

Yeah, it's easy to see how a rigid hoop would theoretically have equal tension everywhere, but that's assuming that all the components are perfect: the hoop and bearing edges perfectly flat and in-round, and the head made well. Let's say the bearing edge dips down in one spot, or the hoop bumps up, it's harder to correct for that than with triple flange.

But I agree completely that they hold a tuning longer.

Yeah, it's easy to see how a rigid hoop would theoretically have equal tension everywhere, but that's assuming that all the components are perfect: the hoop and bearing edges perfectly flat and in-round, and the head made well. Let's say the bearing edge dips down in one spot, or the hoop bumps up, it's harder to correct for that than with triple flange.

But I agree completely that they hold a tuning longer.

True!! It cannot fix out of round drums, nor can it fix bad bearing edges nor bad heads...

I don't think they were intended for that... I think it is just an alternative....

I have them on all drums and all my snares have been converted to diecast...

They tune up easy and quickly...

Peace!!

I think part of the plan is that they will take more of a beating and just last longer. I have them on my Renowns, and my 14 inch tom weighs more than my 16 inch Catalina Maple tom.

Thats right GRUNTRESTAD, You cant kill a die cast hoop. Heavy and solid! I prefer them to stamped. They feel so solid when you play a rim shot. I like cast hoops that bend over the lip of the drum toward the inside.

Die cast hoops do not make a drum less resonant. They focus the tone some by reducing overtones, but they don't force the heads to literally ring for a shorter amount of time.

I think part of the plan is that they will take more of a beating and just last longer. I have them on my Renowns, and my 14 inch tom weighs more than my 16 inch Catalina Maple tom.
Thats right GRUNTRESTAD, You cant kill a die cast hoop. Heavy and solid! I prefer them to stamped. They feel so solid when you play a rim shot. I like cast hoops that bend over the lip of the drum toward the inside.

I've got Renowns, too, and I also love the sound and feel of playing on the hoops, and getting a nice solid rimshot on the snare.

But then I've got some Vistalites with triple flange hoops, and I also love the sound and feel of that kit.

interesting to note dw dont believe in them...?

There are pros and cons to both kinds of hoops but I can't figure out why DW doesn't offer them either. They are a custom drum builder after all.

I have them on most of my snares. Love 'em

interesting to note dw dont believe in them...?

Not really.... I imagine DW probably believes they are the best drums in the world also...

As to why they don't put diecast on their drums. I am sure they have some explanation as to why....

I am sure its hype or jive also....

There are pros and cons to both kinds of hoops but I can't figure out why DW doesn't offer them either. They are a custom drum builder after all.

DW will make drums with die cast hoops for you, you just have to ask.

DW will make drums with die cast hoops for you, you just have to ask.

I guess I hadn't looked closer at the Jazz Series and most of their drums have triple flange hoops so I assumed.

Good to know that they will give you a custom spec if you request it.

Die cast hoops do not make a drum less resonant. They focus the tone some by reducing overtones, but they don't force the heads to literally ring for a shorter amount of time.

Perhaps this is a semantic issue. I did not mean to imply that drums with diecast hoops have less sustain than with triple flanged hoops. To my ear, though, they do have less resonance--less roundness and fatness to the sound. That's another way of saying "more focus." You hear more of the heads and less of the shell, due to the added weight and the physical placement of that weight.

Even a switch from 1.6 triple flange to 2.3 triple flange has an obvious effect in that regard, while leaving the sustain pretty much unaffected.

Back