Electronic drum solo video # 2

CLK

Greetings, I posted an electronic drum solo video here a few months ago and I just got around to making another one. I've been experimenting with different synth modules I've connected to my e-drum kit. This new one is kind of ambient. The video sync is a little weird after I uploaded it to YouTube.....I'm gonna check into it. Let me know what you think.
Thank you my friends
-CK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPHUQJSoYqk

Let me be clear, here. I hate you. ;o)

Not really.

That is a very cool piece of work. I'm on that bandwagon! I love to see drums used in this way; exploring new worlds with this relatively new instrument. As I say in one of my YT videos, composing electronic drum kit solos as if they were acoustic drums makes little sense, Okay for gigging cover tunes in cramped places, yes. But look at the acoustic guitar versus the electric guitar. It's just plain dumb to try to shred a heavy metal tune on an acoustic guitar. So why bang on electonic kits as if they were acoustic? Use the tools provided.

Kudos to you on this. I give it a 15 out of 10. Keep pushing the envelope.

BTW this would be excellent video game music...

Thank you for your comment OriginalSim. I like being able to trigger synth sounds over the percussion sounds in a variety textures and styles to create an interesting 'sound scape'.
Playing my e-kit in this manner has completely changed my approach to drumming where I now find myself playing rhythms and patterns I never thought my hands and feet could perform before. It also translates very well to my acoustic percussion. For me, it's been a very enjoyable evolutionary drumming experience. :)

-CK

... It also translates very well to my acoustic percussion.

I would be interested in hearing a bit more about that. I can understand how drumming techiques would be translateable - hands and feet doing polyrhythms, etc. But (unless you have triggers on an acoustic set) it would seem that the mental approach to composing something (like you performed here, for instance), would be almost totally alien. I play keyboards and drums and, when I compose ambient stuff especially, it's always "do the drums and add the soundscape" or "add drums to soundscape". With the electronic kit, those two merge and I find myself interweaving the two concepts because I can adjust a tonal sound here and a rhythm there. And being able to do that actually seems an entirely other place than composing on keys or drums.

And so that leads me to my current soapbox. The tools are different, but hardly anyone is doing anything with it. I guess I'm ready for it to move from "novelty" to "performance".

Again, tho, great work !!!!

Back