Moongel Alternative

audiobeachstudios

Apologies to Mods if this is too commercial a post, so please feel free to move it or remove it or contact us directly if we should place an actual advert with you!

There's always threads about Moongel alternatives on this forum. We found some, and we're bringing it to the UK (fresh from Italy!)

The debate is always around tuning properly, and that's always the most important thing. But say you're a function drummer, constantly playing different styles. Or a studio that has one kit. Do you want to change your heads every gig? Nope. You want a nice open sound for your jazz band, but a dry fat sound for your rock band. THAT'S why you use Moongel. But it's, what, £7 a pot?

Nope. The alternative, "The Hand - Drum Gel", is £5 per pot and is being sold in the UK by a non-profit, Lottery funded recording studio so you know it's value for money AND you're helping out a good cause when you buy a pot AND you know it's been tested by professionals in a busy studio!

You can find it here http://shop.audiobeachstudios.com/ with FREE POSTAGE!

Don't take this the wrong way, but if it's being marketed as an "alternative" to Moongel - what makes it better than the other alternatives, i.e. those large packs of gel window stickers that one can get for about 2 quid?

Honest question, as I've not seen the "The Hand" before . . . better adhesive? A £5.00 pot gets you 200g of gel? What's the USP, other than it's cheaper than Moongel? I'm looking to buy and if it's genuinely a better proposition then I'm interested.

This is the same material as those kids sticky hands toys. I just bought 144 of them for 5 bucks. That will be a lifetime supply ;-)

stickyhand.jpg

When I get them we will see ho well thy stick, that is my only concern. 5 dollars is not a huge risk to try them.

I went and spent three dollars on a bunch of sticky hands and similar gel toys at the dollar store. Darned if they don't work just as well, for a lot less. Knocking $2 off the price of moongel is no deal as far as I'm concerned.

I think the hands will just be cool, remove a few fingers and you can express your self in many ways ;-)

I got 144 of them for that price, thats more than 2 dollars by far

The clear version of this new product is pretty cool, though.

I totally get all the questions, and I've had a tonne of them already!

I guess if you're happy with kids things on your drums, then go for it. But it is a slightly different material used for Moongel and The Hand - i.e. the colour doesn't transfer, it doesn't dry as quickly as the kids things if left on a drum for ages, it's likely to do less damage to a drum head, especially Fibreskyn heads.

But it's all personal preference. I know I wouldn't want a farm yard all over my kit when playing! A little bit of The Hand Drum Gel does what I need in the studio nicely, and looks a little more professional!

Still, we ship in the UK & the USA now so you're welcome to give it a go. Free shipping in the UK so for £5 I guess you can try a pot. If you don't like it, you've not lost a huge amount!

Any questions welcomed to [email protected] :)

Last edited:
Clear looks cool, and they say it lasts longer than MOONGEL. The problem with this stuff isn't lastage, its losing them and for that matter the cheap window gels are a viable alternative.

Window gels come in a myriad of shapes and colours too, you can even get seasonal with the designs, way more fun than plain old squares!

Window gels are sized different too, the bigger ones on bigger drums etc. can't do that with squares, they're all the same size :(

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    209.8 KB · Views: 7,119
  • Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    138 KB · Views: 6,205
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    185.9 KB · Views: 6,164
Last edited:
This is what US$8 (roughly £5) gets here in the States, compared to $7.95 for the 4 Moon Gels in the center:

gel_assorted.jpg

The size advantages alone make this preferrable for me, and I don't mind some of the goofy shapes. Nobody ever accused me of not being professional because of my muffling choices. :)

Bermuda

I think the hands will just be cool, remove a few fingers and you can express your self in many ways ;-)

Let's see there's the peace sign, the hitch hikers sign, the pinky swear sign, the devil horns sign, there's the thumbs up, the thumbs down, the Vulcan live long and prosper sign, the I got my fingers cut off on a table saw sign, the high five, the high four, three and two....I feel like I'm missing some...

Duct tape and a bar napkin are what I used to use. Almost free.

Duct tape and a bar napkin are what I used to use. Almost free.

The alternatives have rendered that look 'unprofessional'.

Attachments

• Picture 7.png
    Picture 7.png
    136.2 KB · Views: 6,110
...looks like Ronnie Tutt isn't using duct tape anymore, or MOONGEL.

Attachments

• Picture 8.png
    Picture 8.png
    318.6 KB · Views: 6,124
I'm a fan of the bar napkin, much easier to throw on the snare on the fly while at a gig. I just wipe my brow with it so it'll stay in place.

I'm too lazy to search for it but Bermuda had a great thread that showed all the moongel that he got from dollar store window clings, just cut them into squares and blammity, cheap moongel.

Worth noting that there is a difference between gel as a damper, and a napkin/kleenex pad held on with gaff tape.

Gel tends to vibrate with the head, so there is a more controlled dampening. Sometimes it's not enough, and which case either more is needed, or go to the napkin & tape, which really damps the head and provides a short, tight muffle.

Rings are another effect as well, attenuating the harmonics that live at the edge of the head, and accentuating the funamental punch.

Bermuda

You actually do get two sizes with the Drum Gels - 3x 2.4cm and 2x 3x3cm :)

Yeah, you can easily see that in the red gels, closest to the can are slightly larger... but still no hearts, moons, clovers :(

We yanks like a little magic :)

Good selling point tho, use it. MOONGELS are one size fits all.

Ladies(Les?) and gentlemen, I feel the need to bring this up although I have mentioned it in other threads.

The best alternative I've come across so far has been the gel backing from an Air Gun target. I actually got this idea from another post on some drum message board (can't remember).

I bought the aforementioned target at a sport shop. It cost me $14 and tax. I have had it for about three years and never run out of gel. AND this gel functions identically to OTC Moon Gel.

I've attached a pic of the carved up target along with a freshly harvested piece of gel. Not a pretty sight but certainly very economic, You are able to cut much more customized pieces out of whatever size slab you cut out with a safety razor than the gumball rubber hands....unless you like you're drums having little rubber hands on them (....not judging. LOL!)

I like what Moon Gel does in very small doses and this solution is just great when you consider the price and value.

My .02

Jim

Attachments

• moongelalt.jpg
    moongelalt.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 6,041
This is what US$8 (roughly £5) gets here in the States, compared to $7.95 for the 4 Moon Gels in the center:

gel_assorted.jpg

The size advantages alone make this preferrable for me, and I don't mind some of the goofy shapes. Nobody ever accused me of not being professional because of my muffling choices. :)

Bermuda

Honestly, Jon I think these would almost be required on Al's gig. If you use two floor toms having "Happy Birthday" on one and 'Champ' on the other would be magic for any top drum cam shots.

I'll say it again - magical!.

Jim

Back