Nick Menza

How is Shawn a lazy drummer? He's spot on with everything. He plays like a metronome. His work on Endgame was really good, too. It was a big step up from his drumming on United Abominations. Check out "The hardest part Of letting Go". He doesn't have the pure raw intensity that menza brought but he plays everything perfect live.

He is dead accurate, of course. Like a clock. Endgame is great, but I don't know, I listen to some Menza era songs, then Drover era and Nick's style was precise also, but kinda more interesting. Nick would change a pattern of bass drum/snare a bit in 2nd verse for example where Shawn plays the same pattern.

But like I said, nothing against Shawn. I love the guy. I just find Nick's style a bit more suitable for myself and Megadeth.

Nothing against Shawn, but didn't you notice he's kinda lazy? Compare him and Nick and the result is that Nick owns Shawn big time. I'm talking about two people as drummers, not persons. We all know Shawn is the nicest guy there is. But his playing doesn't fit Megadeth as did Nick's.

Dace Mustaine calls Shawn a "true metal drummer", a "guitarists drummer", and claims he is the best drummer Megadeth ever had.

I'll take the band leader's opinion over your opinion.

Dace Mustaine calls Shawn a "true metal drummer", a "guitarists drummer", and claims he is the best drummer Megadeth ever had.

Honestly, Dave says that about everyone who is in his band at a particular point in time.

Well, I've seen the videos Menza posted recently. I gotta be honest, the whole 'I don't wanna be associated with Megadeth but here's my new book, DVD, covers and stuff and it's all MEGA' isn't really my cup of tea.

What he did while in Megadeth was really inspirational. Now 20+ yrs later here he comes with the videos to show us how to play Holy wars, Conjuring and stuff...

I thought he was gonna show us the Voelker rack and those huge kits he had that kept me interested in his 'return'.
While I'm not even a fan of Megadeth anymore, I could agree with what Mustaine said in an interview when he saw Menza's videos and said it's unfortunate.

What's your opinion on stuff that's happening with him recently?

I'm a huge Menza fan too but let's be honest, his career started and ended with Megadeth and essentially defines his career as a working professional. What else can he be doing or talking about that would attract people's interest?

He's kind of like the metal equivalent of Pete Best, known for being in a famous band that fired him. It's a shame he was never able to build on those great albums he played on.

I'm a huge Menza fan too but let's be honest, his career started and ended with Megadeth and essentially defines his career as a working professional. What else can he be doing or talking about that would attract people's interest?

He's kind of like the metal equivalent of Pete Best, known for being in a famous band that fired him. It's a shame he was never able to build on those great albums he played on.

I agree. What he's doing now could have worked if he did it in 1998 perhaps.
Everything he does has to be Megadeth related or people wouldn't have any interest at all. I have a feeling that not too many people are interested anyway (not counting the South Americans :D)

My guess is he isnt interested in coming in a fill in or tour drummer. He likely wants to be on the ground floor of something he can put his name all over. In the last ten years just about every thrash band has changed drummers at least once. Are you telling me that Testament, Exodus, Overkill, Machine Head, etc. wouldnt love to get Nick in behind the kit. There is either a major character flaw keeps people in the industry away or they called and he said no.

My guess is he isnt interested in coming in a fill in or tour drummer. He likely wants to be on the ground floor of something he can put his name all over. In the last ten years just about every thrash band has changed drummers at least once. Are you telling me that Testament, Exodus, Overkill, Machine Head, etc. wouldnt love to get Nick in behind the kit. There is either a major character flaw keeps people in the industry away or they called and he said no.

I don't know, man.
Perhaps he's not dependable. If I remember correctly, Mustaine said somewhere that the shows with Nick were hit or miss. Ofcourse, I don't know the truth since I wasn't there :)

His tenure with Megadeth was legendary, but this 'comeback' is kinda lame. I had a higher opinion of him while I didn't know where he was or what he was doing. Or maybe I grew up. Or both.

That could be true, but how has he supported himself since then? Is he getting significant royalties from the old albums; was he credited as a songwriter even?

At some point, financial necessity trumps career aspirations.

That could be true, but how has he supported himself since then? Is he getting significant royalties from the old albums; was he credited as a songwriter even?

At some point, financial necessity trumps career aspirations.

Music business is a B____!

Nick's been my favorite Megadeth drummer so far the next guy would be Jimmy Degrassio
I know I didn't. spell it right but you know who I mean LOL When Dave had Nick & Marty on lead they had a great sound they really knew how to mesh together great chemistry, you can have great players but if they can't. mesh it might as well as never happen IMHO.

Bonzolead

Firstly I find this very difficult to believe but Nick Menza passed away at 51. Unbelievable.

Without a shadow of a doubt my favourite Megadeth drummer, Vinnie excluded as he only recorded one album so never a member, though I am keen to see what Chris Adler will do. I am not a fan of Lamb of God but I do quite like Chris Adler's technique.

Currently listening to Holy Wars. Nick Menza, A very inventive drummer.

I was interested to know what others' thought of him.

Also if anyone has listened to OHM this perfectly highlights why I rate Nick Menza's work so highly. The fact that he can play metal as well as any metal drummer and then turn his hand to fusion is impressive. Shades of the great Bill Bruford and a little of Tony Williams the monster jazz drummer in his style with OHM.

That is almost right. He said he was asked to come back but he was not impressed with the terms.

“They send this ridiculous proposal which pretty much said, ‘You’re not going to get paid until the touring’, so basically I was going to be working on the new record for free, but then I had intended on leaning towards that anyway and then I thought to myself I’m not going to break, I’m not going to sell myself short for something that is going to be huge, you know.”

Menza went on, “They gotta realize the longevity of it, and then the whole thing just became silly, I didn’t even get a chance to negotiate about anything, they just cut it off and said ‘that’s it’ and afterwards I couldn’t get hold of Dave [Mustaine] or anybody, he blocked my emails.”

Sounds like a case of Dave Mustaine being Dave Mustaine

No that is not true listen to his work with Chris Poland in OHM. He shows the world he is much more than just a metal drummer with some nice jazz ride patterns.

Well, I've seen the videos Menza posted recently. I gotta be honest, the whole 'I don't wanna be associated with Megadeth but here's my new book, DVD, covers and stuff and it's all MEGA' isn't really my cup of tea.

What he did while in Megadeth was really inspirational. Now 20+ yrs later here he comes with the videos to show us how to play Holy wars, Conjuring and stuff...

I thought he was gonna show us the Voelker rack and those huge kits he had that kept me interested in his 'return'.
While I'm not even a fan of Megadeth anymore, I could agree with what Mustaine said in an interview when he saw Menza's videos and said it's unfortunate.

What's your opinion on stuff that's happening with him recently?

I think he was playing better than ever with OHM until his sad death that is

Last edited:

Yes and he recently said that same about Chris Adler and he also said it about Jimmy DeGrasso but the truth is Nick Menza was the Megadeth drummer. His style not only defined Megadeth but Rust in Peace started the whole math metal side of things and Nick was a large part of that.

Dave Mustaine's favourite drummer is the one he is working with at the time.

I remember listening to CTE for a few days in a row and enjoying the sheer power Nick delivered on every track. It got my spirits up like it did 10+ yrs ago. That particular weekend I came home after a trip and found out he passed away the day before. I kept listening to Mega albums a few more days he played on just to remember how his playing had an impact on me. Sort of a 'thank you Nick' from my side.
His playing with OHM was really something and it looked like he found a suitable group of cats that had chemistry between them.
RIP Nick

Yes and he recently said that same about Chris Adler and he also said it about Jimmy DeGrasso but the truth is Nick Menza was the Megadeth drummer. His style not only defined Megadeth but Rust in Peace started the whole math metal side of things and Nick was a large part of that.

Dave Mustaine's favourite drummer is the one he is working with at the time.

+1

BTW It took me years to discover I was (and still am) a fan until 1997. All the albums after Nick are wasted money more or less if you ask me.

Back