Just bought my double bass pedal...

Omnivium

Just bought my first double bass pedal, PDP 402's.

Anyone wanna tell me stuff I should know about double bass pedals?

Just general stuff really thanks, I don't really know what to ask so just give me random stuff I should know haha

You put your right foot on the right pedal and your left foot on the slave? When you push down the beater will hit the drum head....doubles will allow you to do this with both feet? I dunno mate, what on earth do you want to know that you can't find out by searching through one of the 16,567,980,923 existing double pedal threads here on DW?

If you have something specific, by all means ask.....if not, go play the damn things man. It ain't rocket science, you put your feet on them and play. Adjust the set up to suit your own comfort........just like you would on a single pedal....only now you have to do it twice.

You put your right foot on the right pedal and your left foot on the slave? When you push down the beater will hit the drum head....doubles will allow you to do this with both feet? I dunno mate, what on earth do you want to know that you can't find out by searching through one of the 16,567,980,923 existing double pedal threads here on DW?

If you have something specific, by all means ask.....if not, go play the damn things man. It ain't rocket science, you put your feet on them and play. Adjust the set up to suit your own comfort........just like you would on a single pedal....only now you have to do it twice.

Anything specific about the tension? Should they both be the same?

Anything specific about the tension? Should they both be the same?

Spring tension is specific to the player, some guys like it tight, others loose and others just about everywhere else in between. Play around with it and see what fits your playing the best.

For a more consistent feel, I'd certainly have both pedals set up the same.

Ok, let's be helpful here...

Well, the Sun is... Oh, we already had that ;-) Talking double pedals...

That Virgil Donati book is great but quite challenging - I even haven't started using it.

Make sure your technique is correct - learn it from the best tutorials out there (although technique is something you would need to adjust to your own style to some degree.

As for DVDs, THE monster tutorial on foot technique is Tim Waterson's tutorial:
Technique, Motions and Applications for Bass Drum Playing
http://www.twothreeonetwomusic.com/

I also recommend the DVDs of George Kollias and Derek Roddy (assuming that you're into heavy rock/metal/more than that) - both are not only on double bass playing but you'll find all the stuff/patterns/exercises you need to get jump started:
http://www.hudsonmusic.com/hudson/products/intense-metal-drumming/
http://www.hudsonmusic.com/hudson/products/blast-beats-evolved/

This stuff will keep you busy for some time! The Tim Waterson DVD will be shocking when you watch it, but be prepared that after watching it there won't be much stuff out there which will floor you again. That DVD has the most foot techniques demonstrated I know of. The other 2 mentioned are great also but they not only deal with the motions but contain lots of concepts and patterns, e. g. to develop great balance on the throne (you'll need that, not only for double bass).

Start with a medium spring tension as every technique thing will work with a medium tension. Go from there, experiment and you'll find what you like. Most likely you'll readjust spring tension (and maybe other parameters) as you progress - or simply develop. That's a normal thing, some guys keep on experimenting after the basics are down, too.

Back