Steve Smith

I recently purchsed his DVD History of US Beats and have been watching it for a week now. I've gained much new respect for Steve's drumming. I love the fact that he is so passionate about his drumming. His DVD is very informative in regards to technique, and grooves. Well worth the money.

Just got the old Steve Smith DCI work on DVDs and for any fan of him one should know that there is some bonus footage that wasn't on the videos thats really cool....

Solos from Zildians Days and from Journey are on there plus some extra Vital Information performances....its worth the replacement if you haven't done so already...

Also for me the pre-Gruber version of Steve is a little easier to breakdown than he is now - kinda the same way as with early Weckl cause this virtuoso Gruber stuff leaves me in a state of confusion...

KR3 said:
I recently purchsed his DVD History of US Beats and have been watching it for a week now. I've gained much new respect for Steve's drumming. I love the fact that he is so passionate about his drumming. His DVD is very informative in regards to technique, and grooves. Well worth the money.

Yeah, i borrowed this DVD from a friend of mine, and it's great. He really shows you how you can play certain stuff (first slow, then faster)...the best part for me was his explanation on syncopation, it was great.

Steve is definitely one of my all time favs. I was able to attend a masterclass/clinic and Buddy's Buddies show recently and he is a true professional. It seemed that working with some of the kids that day inspired him, because he was absolutely on fire that night during the Buddy's show. He had a standing ovation after song #1! Anyway, here is a pic of Steve and I that day during class:

Attachments

• twostevessmall.JPG
    twostevessmall.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,985
Steve Smith Clinic! now with report and pics!

So... Whos going?

I just bought my tickets, and cant wait!

Re: Steve Smith! Wembley Drum Clinic!

What, where, how, when? Details please!

Where do I get a ticket and what is the best way to get to Wembly Drum from a train from Leeds??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stu

Yay not just me going then!

Steve Smith is one of my favourite drummers aswell, i just love the way he plays with this buzz of life.

just got back and it was amazing.
didn't see any DW members there but if they were like me their eyes were not scanning the audience and their jaws would have been firmly on the floor.

benny went first with solos and playing along to his new CD. there is no doubt in my mind that this 26 year old is one of the truly great drummers of history already. a lot of the guys around me felt sorry for ol' steve who had to follow such a sublime performance.

they needn't have worried

steve smith showed us all why he is a living legend. his jazz history drumming lesson was superb. he played a jazz beat from the 1900's and while talking over the drums he gradually transmogified it through blues bebop rock and into modern funk including a humourous rip off of the new breed like benny.

he then did a solo that started off er um typical of steve and his old guard but gradually he got weirder and more amazing until he was doing with one bass pedal what 90% of all drummers would be proud to be able to do with two. a real class showman.

then he and benny performed an astonishing duo. they put their two snares at the front and did the jazz standard ''salty nuts'' brush solo. the showmanship and humour made the actual skill more stomachable. i was only metres away and i saw brushes doing what bits of metal have no business doing. the brushes seemed to just play themselves.

then they did a great duo on just hihats. it was crazy and funny.

then they bought on pete locket to play tabla while the two guys went onto drums. the world of tabla opened up before me and beleive it or not i saw just two drums that look like they take more skill to play than a thomas lang sized kit. pete is a genious. and the whole trio together were amazing.

after the show i wanted to meet them but the line was too long and it was getting late. besides i had a splitting headache...not from the drums mind. but from the total concentration of nearly three hours. i think my eyes were red from not blinking in case i missed anything.

no photography was allowed but i snapped off a few so here they are:

BG

MASTER'S PLACE

APPRENTICE RUNNING AMOK IN MASTER'S PLACE

BG, PL and SS

Re: Steve Smith Clinic! now with report and pics!

Man I cannot wait until DrummerLive!

I have been craving seeing Benny play and it sounds like it will be an experience not too miss!

Great report Nutha!

cool.

i'm trying to remember all the things i learned yesterday but you know how clinics are. too much info too fast. the main reason to go is to be piled up with inspiration. already this moring i've put in three hours concentrating just on my feet.

one of the things steve said was that if he could somehow see himself practicing he would probably think he was not a good drummer. when he practices at drumtech students look through the door window and suddenly he catches himself performing rather than practicing. which he says is bad. if you are not sounding comfortable and great when you're practicing then you are probably practicing the right thing.

j

Wow, they are two of my favourite drummers! I'm envious to say the least! Nutha, were you kind enough to abide the international laws of getting on other peoples kits?! I notice you don't have your own snare or cymbals (athough if I had the chance to sit on a legends kit, I'd uhhhhh... "forget" all my stuff, but somehow remember my sticks).........? Hehe, kidding.

Hehe, sitting on B. Greb's kit, eh? I imagine that would have been experience. The only thing I don't like on his kit is that inverted splash, very little attack. It's good for how he uses it, but it's too hard to tell where it starts....... Is that tape on his ride? He has amazing ride sound, from/assisted by tape?! Wow, didn't see that coming.

I'd imagine clinics would be throwing you into the deep end....... with a weight...... Especially when sometimes you would just want to watch in awe as they send their sounds your way. I would find it hard to concentrate. With all that great drumming.

I find what Steve said about practicing interesting. I much prefer to practice home alone, because I feel I can open up a bit more when I'm not annoying anyone, and no matter how much I try to think that most people don't know what makes good drumming, I still have that thought nagging at the back of my mind.

Thanks very much for the pictures and information, things like this make this site even more special. This site is great, man, you guys do a wonderful job. I hope to go to one of these clinics someday, not much happens drumwise in my little corner of the world...

Great stuff!

Back