New BB

R

RenaissanceMan

Just picked up this Ludwig Black Beauty 6.5x14. I must say, it is the best sounding snare (tuned high or low) that I've ever owned..........and I've owned my fair share.

DSC03151.jpg

DSC03152.jpg

DSC03153.jpg

DSC03154.jpg

Congrats! Now throw away those rubbish Ludwig heads (and in my opinion, the snares too) and make it sound even better :)

I've got the same snare, definitely a great buy!

Well at least you didn't completely copy me. Congratulations. I think you will like it. :)
Oh, and I actually like the stock head sound on mine. My wife likes the way the head looks.

Well at least you didn't completely copy me. Congratulations. I think you will like it. :)
Oh, and I actually like the stock head sound on mine. My wife likes the way the head looks.

Didn't completely copy you, but, I did get it at the same place you just picked up all of your new drums.

I also am happy with the stock head. Usually use Evans Reverse Dot heads on my snares, but, for now I'm going to keep the stock head on it. Tuned right, it is killer.

Didn't completely copy you, but, I did get it at the same place you just picked up all of your new drums.

I also am happy with the stock head. Usually use Evans Reverse Dot heads on my snares, but, for now I'm going to keep the stock head on it. Tuned right, it is killer.
Guess I should get a commission then. :) Have you dealt with them before? They have a tone of stuff.

I just got one of those a month ago. I've tried and tried to dial it in. I just don't like it. I'm gonna try a coated Emperor on it.
This is the first snare I have taken out of the box and liked how it sounded without changing anything about it.

Sticks, you should consider putting die cast on it. You may like it better. IDK if you like that tone, I love it, all my snares have die casts.

I like the "2 ply coated head w/die cast hoops" sound on all my snares. My snares just sound too thin and unfocused with stamped hoops and single ply heads on them, to my ear.

Sticks, you should consider putting die cast on it. You may like it better. IDK if you like that tone, I love it, all my snares have die casts.

I like the "2 ply coated head w/die cast hoops" sound on all my snares. My snares just sound too thin and unfocused with stamped hoops and single ply heads on them, to my ear.
What I should do is get a set of 14" die cast hoops that I can try on all my snares to get an idea of the sound.

All that drum gear and you have zero 14" die cast hoops? I'll bet you a Canadian dollar that you'll prefer the tone. Just changing the batter hoop makes all the difference. The bottom die cast hoop is optional, but knowing you, you'll have to match everything. I would try just the top first, and then put the bottom on if you need it.

All that drum gear and you have zero 14" die cast hoops? I'll bet you a Canadian dollar that you'll prefer the tone. Just changing the batter hoop makes all the difference. The bottom die cast hoop is optional, but knowing you, you'll have to match everything. I would try just the top first, and then put the bottom on if you need it.
Just because you asked me to I will. :) I'm actually pretty easy to get along with. Nah, not really.

I am in the process of putting in a Kelly Shu in the Monster at the moment. Wish me luck. :)

I wished you luck. You didn't specify which kind, so I'll leave that up to Ms. Karma.

Nice BB - classic,versatile drum... I'm amazed at how great these drums still sound. It's not just the vintage ones that sound great - nice to see Ludwig still putting out an excellent snare.

caddywumpus - you're the first person I've heard, who isn't happy with their BB. Ludwig hasn't been known for their QC lately - have a look at the shell and make sure everything is ok...

sticks/larry - another option is brass hoops - I bought some for my BB and it sounds really nice.

Back