Jazz Snare Head help

Class A Drummer

Pioneer Member
Hey guys I'm going to be drumming for the show 'City of Angles' soon, and I'm currently working with a Pearl session Kit.

I'm looking for advice/favorites for jazz snare heads.

I want a dry crack out of my snare if possible.

Advice?

"City of Angels'...not Angles, correct? :)

If you are talking swing stuff, any single ply coated head will do.

Remo coated Ambassador, Aquarian Satin Texture coated, Evans coated G1. Other than that basic recommendation it's personal taste

Tuning and/or the use of rim shots will make more of a difference in crack. 'Dry' crack isn't necessarily swing era period correct. If you want 'dry' for personal reasons maybe the Evans ST head? Or adjust dampening with moon gel or gaffer's tape.

I don't recommend too much predampening (Powerstroke 3, Studio -X, EC2, etc). You'll be gasping for highs out of one of those types.

Jim

"City of Angels'...not Angles, correct? :)

If you are talking swing stuff, any single ply coated head will do.

Remo coated Ambassador, Aquarian Satin Texture coated, Evans coated G1. Other than that basic recommendation it's personal taste

Tuning and/or the use of rim shots will make more of a difference in crack. 'Dry' crack isn't necessarily swing era period correct. If you want 'dry' for personal reasons maybe the Evans ST head? Or adjust dampening with moon gel or gaffer's tape.

I don't recommend too much predampening (Powerstroke 3, Studio -X, EC2, etc). You'll be gasping for highs out of one of those types.

Jim

great i'll look into it. I'm just really into a nice crack, and relativley loose sound when I play jazz. I love the feeling of a rimshot with a nice thin head. The sensitivity is what I need the most I feel

Back