Gibraltar Practice bass pad

Remobeater

I was looking into getting this (Gibraltar GBDP Bass Drum Pad) to work on some footwork. Right now I have a DIY electric pad for the bass which is basically a 12" shell with a Roland Mesh head and a small bit of muffling. I had complaints before because the two support legs seem to create a little pounding on the floor below. Would the Gibraltar practice pad work better and be quieter in general? That clicking on the mesh head can get a little annoying to the suite neighbors as well.

Thanks,
Ian

It's about as quiet as using a regular practice pad with your sticks (I use felt beaters). It does tend to wobble a little bit (unavoidable) so I just put 2 dumbells, one on each side on it and that takes care of that. I love mine

Oh really, well that is pretty quiet then. I heard mixed reviews about the noise so I wasn't sure. Darn, thats too bad, one just past for about $40 on ebay. Thanks for the feedback. I have felt and plastic with my DW5002.

I heard the feel is pretty good as well? It might be slightly less responsive than the Roland mesh head but probably better practice anyway.

Ian

heh, i made my own bass pad stand, that i can just screw my practice pad onto at adjustable heights :) its lovely and only cost $5+the practice pad, to make :).
Maybe you could look into doing this if you know someone who owns a bit of scrap metal, a welder, a drill and a metal saw. Have a go if you can, you'll be proud of yourself :)

Oh really, well that is pretty quiet then. I heard mixed reviews about the noise so I wasn't sure. Darn, thats too bad, one just past for about $40 on ebay. Thanks for the feedback. I have felt and plastic with my DW5002.

I heard the feel is pretty good as well? It might be slightly less responsive than the Roland mesh head but probably better practice anyway.

Ian

I like the feel. It's close to a bass head but slightly different. I feel working on this pad is actually harder, which in turn helps when playing on the kit even more.

heh, i made my own bass pad stand, that i can just screw my practice pad onto at adjustable heights :) its lovely and only cost $5+the practice pad, to make :).
Maybe you could look into doing this if you know someone who owns a bit of scrap metal, a welder, a drill and a metal saw. Have a go if you can, you'll be proud of yourself :)

Oh I'm sure I could, I'm a Mechanical Engineer at an engineering institution (ie. access to a lot of sophisticated equipment). I built the Roland mesh head bass pad myself but its a little noisy and not that easy to move around. I want to resort all of my free time to practice, not building, during the school year as well.

I'm just looking for something with the best feel, no strong vibrations sent into the floor, portable and that is as quiet as possible.

Back