Good self-recorder?

ProggyFunk13

Hey guys I'd really like something to use to listen to myself play because that seems like one of the best ways to critique myself. I have a camera that is capable of recording me playing, but I think something audio-only would be suitable.

The two main things I'm looking for are a clear sound of the drumset (not just noise), and it would be handheld and not too expensive (like $20-$60?)

To my knowledge, I don't really think that's possible: to have something handheld that can record an entire kit at decent quality. If you are to crit yourself, you will want to be able to hear everything clearly, and you will need multiple mics for that. Hardly cheap or handheld at all.

You get what you pay for. Something cheap that records well? We all want that!

Anyway check out portable recorders on musicians friend, then look on ebay for them used. I have used the Edirol R09 alot and you will be suprised how good it sounds.

Well scratch the cheap idea. I wouldn't mind paying a good amount for something like this, especially when a set of mics doesn't look feasible for right now.

The Zoom h2 and h4 look nice. Any real quality difference? The h4 is about $50 more and has 4-track recording...

Hey guys I'd really like something to use to listen to myself play because that seems like one of the best ways to critique myself. I have a camera that is capable of recording me playing, but I think something audio-only would be suitable.

The two main things I'm looking for are a clear sound of the drumset (not just noise), and it would be handheld and not too expensive (like $20-$60?)

Get the Zoom H2; you won't regret it. If you can score a second hand one, all the better.

To my knowledge, I don't really think that's possible: to have something handheld that can record an entire kit at decent quality. If you are to crit yourself, you will want to be able to hear everything clearly, and you will need multiple mics for that. Hardly cheap or handheld at all.

A handheld stereo recorder will make the most realistic recording: after all, your ears are just a stereo pair and I assume you can hear an acoustic drum kit just fine. A single stereo pair will record the kit exactly what it's going to sound like at a distance, and you can't use any studio magic to mask your flaws. If the sound is out of balance and unclear, it's the player's problem, not the recorder's!

Last edited:
The Zoom h2 and h4 look nice. Any real quality difference? The h4 is about $50 more and has 4-track recording...

The H2 is more simple and more portable, and it is able to record surround sound with its four onboard microphones. You can also choose between the two stereo pairs (at 90 and 120 degree angles) according to your recording needs. It's great for recording solo instruments and bigger ensembles.

The H4 is bigger and has some extra functions. You can record four mono tracks (two stereo tracks), but only two at a time. You can use two external mics simultaneously, but you can't use them together with the onboard mics. The option to use two separate microphones gives the unit more versatility: you could opt to use an overhead mic and a bass drum mic to get more control of the mix.

I have used a Zoom H2 for recording my gigs, band rehearsals and practice sessions (I recorded the audio to this video with the H2), and I've been very pleased with it. It's perfect for quick and simple (and high quality!) recordings.

I like my Zoom H4. I use two ext. mics which allows me to keep the unit in my hand or close by and still put the mics at the distance of the XLR cable away.

Back