Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone?

Hi all,

Excuse me for bumping up a not so recent thread. It's justified though.

Has anyone used the Carmichael throne for other non-drumming purposes, as a chair/stool at home for example, at the dinner table or whatever else? Does it work?

I'm considering ordering one for myself but my wife actually has a far greater need for a "spine saver", unfortunately. So perhaps I should order two.

I know Carmichael produce proper office chairs based on the same concept but they're out of our price range, especially since I'm ordering from overseas. It would be cheaper to buy just the seat top and then add on a throne base and possibly a backrest.

What do you think?

When you have a need and it pertains to your health price shouldn't keep you from relief, especially if the pricy stuff works.

If your wife sits for long periods and has back issues, drop the cash and get her a good CARMICHALE chair. The CARMICHALE stuff works, its a 'cry once' purchase. When there's positive physical relief the debt you went into doesn't have a negative effect, you can live with and conquer it. I say spend the money, even if you don't have it, relief is worth the price.

If you're thinking double duty wife/you drumming, yes a CARMICHALE throne with a back rest is a workable option, once she gets used to feeling good and that's the effect of floating spine seating, she's going to want her own seat though.

I purchased the Carmichael throne seat. I have Roc N Soc thrones with the backrest so I only had to get the seat itself. It is very well made and the claim of relieving pressure is true, it feels great. It is also great for balance, especially when playing double bass. But, I am very sorry to say that the seat is too firm for me. It makes my rear-end go numb if I play over 20 minutes. I am very disappointed. I want to be clear that I would recommend to anyone to try one out to see for yourself. I have used if for a month and a half. I tried my best to adapt to it but it's just not for me.

I got the top while I was at work, and I thought it was great. My top is the 15" one.
I do Graphic Design, so I am at a computer a lot. It felt great for a "work chair", but would be better with a back rest for an all day thing, or puzzling out some issue that leaning back seems to aid in...

The office chair version would be awesome, but it's too expensive for me.

I received my CT-201-13BV hydraulic throne yesterday - here's some pics (so-so quality - lighting wasn't that good at the time I did the pics).

Assembly was super easy. Unpacking, unfolding the base legs, mounting the plate to the bottom side of the seat top (using the 4 bolts provided in the package), putting the seat on top of the base, fastening 2 handles at the plate, thus tightening the seat/plate to the top of the base - that's it! I used a multi size tool to fasten those bolts which I once bought for guitar applications.

Have been using it while working at the PC for a few hours now - feels great.
The hydraulic system works and feels great, too - the quality is evident. I went for the hydraulic version for more options and the extra charge is super low (some $13 I think).

The upholstering feels a bit stiff/hard but it works. I noticed that my back would get tired after a while but that wasn't at the kit but still at the PC where there is hardly any need to move/rotate etc. 13'' is perfect for me but I guess the bigger 15'' version would work fine, too. "Quality exists when the price is long forgotten" - Agreed, what was the price again?

Delivery was exactly 1 month - I went for the cheapest (out of 4) delivery option.

Attachments

• CT-201_01.jpg
    CT-201_01.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 5,346
  • CT-201_09.jpg
    CT-201_09.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 5,155
  • CT-201_08.jpg
    CT-201_08.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 5,037
  • CT-201_07.jpg
    CT-201_07.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 5,041
  • CT-201_06.jpg
    CT-201_06.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 5,138
  • CT-201_05.jpg
    CT-201_05.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 4,956
  • CT-201_04.jpg
    CT-201_04.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 6,228
  • CT-201_03.jpg
    CT-201_03.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 5,081
  • CT-201_02.jpg
    CT-201_02.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 5,018
I purchased the Carmichael throne seat. I have Roc N Soc thrones with the backrest so I only had to get the seat itself. It is very well made and the claim of relieving pressure is true, it feels great. It is also great for balance, especially when playing double bass. But, I am very sorry to say that the seat is too firm for me. It makes my rear-end go numb if I play over 20 minutes. I am very disappointed. I want to be clear that I would recommend to anyone to try one out to see for yourself. I have used if for a month and a half. I tried my best to adapt to it but it's just not for me.

I've found you cannot wear tight pants with the CARMICHAEL b/c the the channel will cause a slight tightening effect on already tight fitting pants.

I prefer a firm seat when drumming, the last thing I want is a throne top that has give/compression which creates instability. The CARMICHAEL will eventually 'break in' and still provide support, not like other brands that compress and keep compressing till the foam is shot. My CARMICHAEL feels better every time I sit on it

Try the CARMICHAEL with some looser fitting pants, you might like it.

I prefer a firm seat when drumming, the last thing I want is a throne top that has give/compression which creates instability. The CARMICHAEL will eventually 'break in' and still provide support, not like other brands that compress and keep compressing till the foam is shot.

Fully agree with you there , Les.

Got my Carmichael seat top today. My first reaction: "Damn it's heavy. More weight added to my hardware case"

Then I picked up my Gibraltar seat top and had my moment of epiphany...
The Gibraltar felt cheap and way too light compared to the solid build of the Carmichael.
Yes, the Carmichael is a little firm but that's how it should be. Just like any good mattress or sofa, a good throne top needs to have enough material density to be able to support your weight. Especially since almost your entire weight rests upon a small area.

I've noticed that a Gibraltar throne base alone costs almost as much as the complete throne with seat top. In other words, their seat top isn't worth very much, and I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case with other brands.

I can also confirm that the Carmichael seat top fits perfectly onto the Gibraltar throne base (the spindle model).

The 13" seat top is a perfect fit for average height/weight drummers I think. I can sit almost right in the middle without losing any leg mobility.

I won't say anymore since I haven't had a chance to really "drum test" the throne yet but first impressions are good.

... just had a week off work and finally had some drumming time. Can't say that the Carmichael made me "feel years younger" or that I suddenly became a better drummer but I suppose the long term affects will be noticed later. In the short term, it's more about what I didn't feel. Previously, I always felt significant discomfort bordering on pain during/after playing. I did several 2 hour sessions last week, including full setup and breakdown of my kit. I'm pleased to say that I felt no serious strain on my back, a little fatigue perhaps at the end, but nothing that I would consider worrying;
For my feeling the Carmichael has just the right amount of space between the two "butt rests". There's enough space to create enough relief for the spine, but not so much as to make the seat feel awkward or anything. I remember something that I heard a long time ago, that apparently humans only started to have serious back problems once they started sitting on chairs. It's not natural apparently. Well, this throne feels kind of natural to me. 'nough said.

Last edited:
Hi fellow Carmichael owners,

Do any of you carry your seat top in a drum bag by any chance?

I'm considering getting either a Stagg 12" drum bag , or a Protection Racket bag for 10" tom with rims. I reckon the latter might be big enough (10" tom + lugs + rims mount = 13" diameter?)

Does this sound like a good idea?

For those interested, I updated my previous post now that I finally got to use the Carmichael in action.

Last edited:
Mine is on the seat--actually, I can't get it off. It's on a Pearl base FWIW.

I haven't had to baby it (just careful), it's pretty thick material.

LOVE this thing! One of my best purchases of the year. If I had a rehearsal kit in another location, I'd get another one so I wouldn't have to lug it around though :)

Mine is on the seat--actually, I can't get it off. It's on a Pearl base FWIW.

I don't get it. Do you mean that you can't detach your Carmichael seat top from the throne base because the two are somehow permanently attached to each other?

Yeah. It's on there so tight I can't get it apart. I haven't tried a hammer yet, but I'm not going to either haha!

I always left the seat together, and transported it that way separately anyway.

I currently have a Tama Ergo Rider hydraulic throne. Will the Carmichael hydraulic top fit on the Tama hydraulic base? Thanks!

I purchased the carmichael drum throne hoping to have it help or relieve my mid back pain. I'm sorry to say that I've been playing on this for a couple months now and I don't notice or feel any sort of relief. For me personally, I don't feel the price was worth it.

I purchased the carmichael drum throne hoping to have it help or relieve my mid back pain. I'm sorry to say that I've been playing on this for a couple months now and I don't notice or feel any sort of relief. For me personally, I don't feel the price was worth it.
You're repeating yourself. You just posted in another thread...

1) Did you see a doctor? If so, what's actually causing your back pain?
2) The Carmichael is easily among the best thrones out there. What if it's not the throne but something else? See 1) - address your problems _physically_ - provided this is possible, instead of blaming the throne.

If it can be helped physically - I'd suggest strengthening your core muscles. And maybe checking your posture. And keep the Carmichael for some more time as it might not be the culprit.

Last edited:
I just pulled the trigger on one. I had back surgery last year (herniated disc at L4/L5).
I'm just now getting back to lengthy sessions behind the kit and decided i should try one.

I'll provide a review when it arrives.

I just pulled the trigger on one. I had back surgery last year (herniated disc at L4/L5).
I'm just now getting back to lengthy sessions behind the kit and decided i should try one.

I'll provide a review when it arrives.

You should love it. Got mine due to a back injury, this top has actually improved my posture, I never come of the kit with my back sore like my old throne tops.

The best piece of gear I own, irreplaceable.

Hi all,

Excuse me for bumping up a not so recent thread. It's justified though.

Has anyone used the Carmichael throne for other non-drumming purposes, as a chair/stool at home for example, at the dinner table or whatever else? Does it work?

I'm considering ordering one for myself but my wife actually has a far greater need for a "spine saver", unfortunately. So perhaps I should order two.

I know Carmichael produce proper office chairs based on the same concept but they're out of our price range, especially since I'm ordering from overseas. It would be cheaper to buy just the seat top and then add on a throne base and possibly a backrest.

What do you think?

My employer just bought me a Carmichael CT-580 Mesh back Executive Chair..................had it for about a week now and it feels pretty good.....................a little firm, but my back does feel better.

It will probably be a few months before I can give an honest, thorough evaluation.

This is the model:

https://backpainchairdirect.com/Off...e pain treatment, treatment for tailbone pain

Currently torn between a Roc N Soc nitro with backrest or a Carmichael hydraulic with backrest. Can anyone elucidate further on comparisons? Anymore reviews or thoughts from folks who got a Carmichael? It's difficult to decide without test driving, so to speak.

Also, does anyone know if these two seat tops can be mounted onto a Pork Pie base?

Many thanks.

Currently torn between a Roc N Soc nitro with backrest or a Carmichael hydraulic with backrest. Can anyone elucidate further on comparisons? Anymore reviews or thoughts from folks who got a Carmichael? It's difficult to decide without test driving, so to speak.

Also, does anyone know if these two seat tops can be mounted onto a Pork Pie base?

Many thanks.

CARMICHALE is paired up with ROCK N SOC and uses their brackets, so 7/8" post will fit.

CARMICHALE is a serious throne top, comparatively ROCK N SOCK is outdated 20 century design technology that doesn't come close to the ergonomic support the CARMICHALE design provides.

So why would you want to sit on a piece of foam when you can sit on a piece of foam that doesn't compress your spine? I've owned ROCK N SOC's in the past and I can tell you the CARMICHALE blows them away.

Thomas Lang in the pic below.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-21 at 12.19.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-21 at 12.19.47 PM.png
    450.9 KB · Views: 3,480
Back