Hurricane Susan

Last news I heard was that the National Weather Center was downgrading this thing from a Hurricane to a tropical depression once it hits land. We will see. Updates on the hour. Yes I know I have a face for the radio. Right hand on ear like old radio dudes.

Decided to assemble my 76 WMP Luds that I got last Christmas. Got the kick and floor tom done. God do I love a 24" kick. Still have power. Still not quite here yet.

As of 7:10 Eastern time, Sandy is no longer a hurricane but will still cause major damage. CBS news.

8PM Eastern Standard time I lost power. I expect at least 4 days without power, due to sheer overload on the utility part of things. Generator running, internet unaffected, trees holding, so far, as good as can be expected.

Manhattan got hammered. Water running down the streets. Lower Manhattan lost power. NYU Medical Center evacuated due to loss of backup power.

Hardly any rain but over 2 feet higher storm surges than the previous high set in 1821. The ocean just came roaring in and flooded tunnels, subways etc.

My home and business are safe and sound for now.

Power went out a few times last night but ultimately stayed on. Surveyed the damage this morning and there appears to be no serious casualties. I haven't been following the news that much but it sounds like the storm jogged north a bit and hit Jersey instead of DC?

I barely got any rain, some, not torrential by any stretch, pretty gusty winds though. It's not even rainy or windy here now, just chilly. Power continues to be out 13 hours after losing it, 1 broken branch that is laying across the utility wires in my yard, but the wires aren't touching. One tree went over in the woods behind my house, other trees are propping it up, poses no threat even if it fell. I got spared. I thought it was gonna be like Dorothy in Kansas from what they were telling me. The storm was bad for New Jersey.

Got pounded with rain and wind all night but amazingly didn't lose power in my neighborhood, though many thousands in my town did. Many people on my street has collateral damage from trees falling and wind blowing pieces of houses off so I consider myself lucky.

Not much sleep from all the noise but happy as a clam that I'm in a much better shape than most.

Hope I'm wrong but I'm willing to bet Anthony (Gvd) got hit much harder.

I hope you guys are doing well so far.

The news articles and flashes about the hurricane have been kinda extreme so far.
I don't know how they do it in the States, but here in Sweden a lot of newspapers tend to write pretty extreme and "scary" headlines. Today the headline about the hurricane is "THEY DIED IN THE STORM" and yesterday it was "PEOPLE WILL DIE!"

Some article said that the americans are yet to connect the hurricane to global warming and such. Have there been any talk about global warming, or carbondioxide, or discussions about how we destroy our planet? A journalist wrote that after this hopefully the Americans will "understand" what we're doing to mother Earth. Have the press connected the disaster to global warming yet?

Last edited:
Great that the effects are more limited than the media suggested!

After the Italian verdict you wonder if disaster experts will ever dare say "Is is safe" again. Seems to me that we'll get a "boy who cried wolf" effect. I'm wondering if they have any adjectives left to warn of a disaster of the sale of the Boxing Day tsunami.

A journalist wrote that after this hopefully the americans will understand what we're doing to mother Earth (and take bigger responsibility for it). Have the press connected the disaster to global warming yet?

Absolutely not. Not even a single word. Amazing. You make a good point. I recall recently that the owner of a popular cable tv channel called The Weather Channel came out against the global warming theory. So their channel won't even mention it. It is so ridiculously political. Dumb. Stupid. Oil companies own the politicians so it seems like nothing will ever be done. We pray for the vicitms of the hurricane of course, but let's discuss why. Frustrating.

This articl;e was from yesterday. There has been discussion for some time,

WASHINGTON — Climate scientist Michael Oppenheimer stood along the Hudson River and watched his research come to life as Hurricane Sandy blew through New York.

Just eight months earlier, the Princeton University professor reported that what used to be once-in-a-century devastating floods in New York City would soon happen every three to 20 years. He blamed global warming for pushing up sea levels and changing hurricane patterns.

New York "is now highly vulnerable to extreme hurricane-surge flooding," he wrote.

For more than a dozen years, Oppenheimer and other climate scientists have been warning about the risk for big storms and serious flooding in New York. A 2000 federal report about global warming's effect on the United States warned specifically of that possibility.

Still, they say it's unfair to blame climate change for Sandy and the destruction it left behind. They cautioned that they cannot yet conclusively link a single storm to global warming, and any connection is not as clear and simple as environmental activists might contend.

"The ingredients of this storm seem a little bit cooked by climate change, but the overall storm is difficult to attribute to global warming," Canada's University of Victoria climate scientist Andrew Weaver said.

Some individual parts of Sandy and its wrath seem to be influenced by climate change, several climate scientists said.

Scientists in denial. Really nothing on the national news, television networks. Endless hours of titillating coverage and nothing at all. Really sad. They just chalk it up to "it's natural." Climate change isn't meaningfully discussed. Presidential candidates ignore it. Why? Follow the money. While towns are wiped out politicians can rest easy knowing that the oil companies who bankroll their campaigns will always be there as long as they keep delaying and delaying meaningful discussion and action concerning global warming. They can be "inconclusive" forever and just let our grandkids deal with it. Pathetic.

Now back to drumming.

Global warming and its effects and causes will be debated for ever. For every study that says man is to blame, there are three to say it is natural and vice versa. In this election year no one wants to touch this with a ten foot pole.

Back