A "DOH!" moment

M

Matt Bo Eder

Some of you may recall I was asking advice on demo-ing my patio room to re-build it as a soundproofed drum studio.

I felt like it would end up being a pipe dream since I don't have $30,000.00 to spend lying around. It was.

Theoretically, I don't really need the soundproof room. My neighbors don't object to my practicing, just so long as I end at a reasonable time (before 9PM). So I really thought about what I absolutely needed.

My patio room doesn't enjoy the central AC that the rest of the house does, so consequently, with the drums out there, in the summer heat of California, I don't play them daily (although I practice on a pad in the cool house).

Fast forward to a couple of days ago, we decided the one home improvement we can afford this year is new carpeting. So we make that happen. As we're moving things out of all the rooms prior to the carpeting crew coming in to remove and replace the carpet, both the wife and I realize there's a bunch of furniture and things we just don't need (funny how you accumulate a bunch of stuff you don't need over the years).

Now that the house is empty and the carpeting crew is here installing the new carpet, my wife says, "why don't you move your drums back into one of the bedrooms, then you can practice in the house with the AC on".

Talk about "DOH!" moment. So now I'm making plans on getting some acoustic foam for one of the rooms to spiff it up as a practice room. I'll enjoy the AC and can practice on any day. I'm now looking really forward to this. To think we've lived here for over ten years and I never thought about commandeering a bedroom just for the drums because I wanted the space the patio room to rehearse with any band I may have the chance to rehearse with. I realize that I've not had as many rehearsals as I thought I would, and that's only because I'm usually subbing for someone, or going out and sight-reading whatever they have.

But with this realization, I'm looking forward to being able to play my drums (and not a pad) at any time during the day when I'm home before work. I've neglected playing on a kit daily like I used to, so this really feels like a whole new era for me!

But really, DOH!

Nice of the wife. When we moved from NJ to Pittsburgh six years ago our extensive house hunting was prefaced by this to the Wife......."Find a house you like but I pick the drum worthiness in the end." ;)

Nice of the wife. When we moved from NJ to Pittsburgh six years ago our extensive house hunting was prefaced by this to the Wife......."Find a house you like but I pick the drum worthiness in the end." ;)

wow - good for you. My wife couldn't care less about accommodating my drum needs when reviewing eligible homes. Thank God for rehearsal studios!

Has your wife got a nice, single sister, Matt?

I'm afraid I'm single again and, being older and less tolerable than when I was young, I'm looking for someone who will be understanding towards me... and my tubs...

Hope you have some nice workouts in the bedroom... the spare one with the drums I mean, of course.

I regret not making more use of the room I had at my disposal for two years.... hindsight...

It's nice when you want something and you already have it.

A practice space is essential equipment if a person is serious about drums.

I could never fully relax if I thought people could hear me practice. I decided a long time ago that a place where I could feel comfortable playing was an absolute necessity. And be in a relationship that accepted my drumming with open arms. I know more than a few talented, really good players whose significant other is very jealous of that aspect, and very restrictive to their spouses. I think they call it being PW'd.

This would be a perfect time to do something special for Debbie to show her how lucky you feel that she totally supports you.

And to reinforce positive behavior :)

It gets so hot at my house that I haven't practiced in the garage since last April. If it's 87 degrees F outside, like today, then it's gotta be 10 degrees hotter in the garage. Screw that!!

Congrats on having such an understanding wife. She knows who butters the bread at least.

Even if it real hot, as long as I have my squirrel cage (and squirrel powered!) fan on me, I'm good. I need air movement.

Even if it real hot, as long as I have my squirrel cage (and squirrel powered!) fan on me, I'm good. I need air movement.

In my old age, I think we've grown dependent on central AC. It's not Vegas hot out here, but it's uncomfortable in a house without AC. When I tried to practice despite the heat in the patio room, it just becomes miserable.

I may even attribute the internet to filling up the time when I wasn't able to practice on the drums, so this may be a big coming change for me to eliminate using the internet so much, and that would be a good thing.

Now I'm shopping for some acoustic foam for the walls.

They have Auralex at the Home Depot. 184$ for 12 2'x2'x2" panels.

I always thought auralex was one of the biggest ripoffs out there. Don't you need mass for more effective sound containment?

I always thought auralex was one of the biggest ripoffs out there. Don't you need mass for more effective sound containment?
Not sure but we used Auralex in the warehouse studio and the sound is amazing, but I was told to use egg cartons.

Not sure but we used Auralex in the warehouse studio and the sound is amazing, but I was told to use egg cartons.

And I'm not referring to the sound inside the room, Auralex works fine for that, but again, way too overpriced for me. I'm referring to the sound escaping from the room, saying Auralex isn't made to contain that.

Egg cartons...I'm pretty sure the Fire Marshall would definitely not condone that. They do very little for sound containment, but make the room less reflective, like auralex.

Not that auralex is any better in a fire, it's mostly air.

And I'm not referring to the sound inside the room, Auralex works fine for that, but again, way too overpriced for me. I'm referring to the sound escaping from the room, saying Auralex isn't made to contain that.
Oh shoot, I didn't know that. I'm just trying to be helpful. It works great for bass drums too. Haha!

None of that stuff by anybody is designed to contain the sound. It simply provides more baffling for sound waves to go through on its way out and hopefully quiet it by the time it reaches the outside walls. It'll never contain it.

None of that stuff by anybody is designed to contain the sound. It simply provides more baffling for sound waves to go through on its way out and hopefully quiet it by the time it reaches the outside walls. It'll never contain it.

True. A wall of books, stacked like they would be in a library, but only you point the exposed pages to the inside of the room, not the back of the shelf, is effective. That would do a much better job in reducing decibels outside. Mass is the key.

In my old age, I think we've grown dependent on central AC. It's not Vegas hot out here, but it's uncomfortable in a house without AC. When I tried to practice despite the heat in the patio room, it just becomes miserable.

I may even attribute the internet to filling up the time when I wasn't able to practice on the drums, so this may be a big coming change for me to eliminate using the internet so much, and that would be a good thing.

Now I'm shopping for some acoustic foam for the walls.

I'm very used to a lot of heat from having to go in attics in August to replace attic fan motors. Some guys won't do it. I just guzzle water and it literally pours out of me. Sometimes it's so hot that I need a wet towel as well. If I feel my head tingling from being up there too long, I get out.

But yea, I like the A/C too. Nice dry, cool air.

Load the room up in soft surfaces, that goes a long way as far as your neighbors are concerned.

If your neighbors aren't concerned by you practicing in your patio room, why worry about acoustically treating the bedroom?

I envy you getting to have real A/C when you play. I'm out in my garage and play/practice with a 20" fan blowing from my right side. It's not too bad if I'm out there before noon during the summer, but later in the day the garage gets really hot if I keep the door closed. Consequently, the door stays open during the rest of the day if I'm home - I'm in and out of there all day anyway.

I would love to finish the garage with insulation and sheetrock, but that's a pipe dream. :-(

Back