Manu Katche

This is music.

I love how he hits the instruments, he is not a basher at all, and what a sound !!!

Seriously, if there is a drummer that embodies the best the words finesse and taste, it 's Manu !

Please, I want more of this !

Vive la France !

Last edited by a moderator:
Manus' solo here is quite brilliant. I've seen him many times in the past and have read alot of peoples' reactions to his playing and I don't remember ever seeing anything written about his bass drum work. He's got fabulous bass foot technique. Am I the only one who notices this? His all-around style is beautiful and passionant as he just flows right through the songs and solos. But I'm really impressed with his bass foot. Thanks for a great video, guys! Play on!

Manu Katche is a great drummer , and a great musician , he got every thing in his playing , i don't feel there is some thing missing in his playing , he is just a great musician \ drummer and i love his playing , maybe in some concerts that i saw him he was kind'a " dead " but it's very hard to take over Vinnie's place....

I just bought his album Neighborhood and i think it's really good and his playing on it is so amazing

what do you guys think of him

Couldn't agree more in regard to what Manu brings to Gabriel's musical table. I think Manu's drumming voice, however, is not as clear in the work that he did with Sting. The playing is as great as you would expect from anyone occupying the Sting throne but his playing always sounded a little more generic than on other work. I especially love his playing on "Somewhere Down the Crazy River" by Robbie Robertson (mentioned above) and on the studio version of Tears for Fears' "Bad Man's Song" featuring the great Oletta Adams (also astutely mentioned above).

I think he is one of the more unique players in a professional world dominated by great drummers but who tend to sound very similar to one another.

Paul

Couldn't agree more in regard to what Manu brings to Gabriel's musical table. I think Manu's drumming voice, however, is not as clear in the work that he did with Sting. The playing is as great as you would expect from anyone occupying the Sting throne but his playing always sounded a little more generic than on other work. I think he is one of the more unique players in a professional world dominated by great drummers but who tend to sound very similar to one another.

Paul

Paul,

I am going to have to disagree with on the Sting records; specifically " The Lazarus Heart" and "Rock Steady" off of Nothing Like the Sun. To me these somngs changed my playing and I stumbled onto Manu by accident. I also read somewhere that Neil's favorite players at the time were Manu Katche` and Phil Gould. Since I was into Neil, I started checking these two guys out and never looked back!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=78564594

I also don´t dig Manu with Sting that much - Vinnie has done that job so good, it was a perfect fit. Anyway, I prefer Peter Gabriels music and don´t care that much for Sting. i think what he did with the police was great, most things that happend afterwards I think are not that good. Now please don´t slay me for this - Its just an opinion and I know his music pretty well (I got all his records).

I suggest that everyboby listen to "The book of my life" from the Sting's album "Sacred Love". The playing of Mr Katché is just mind-blowing and full of life and breath.

For me Manu Katche is a living legend. He can play all kinds of styles very well. You see him with Sting and then with Jan Garbarek. He is simply amazing. Did you see the video on this site where he is playing with Jan Garbarek. Its a really good solo.

So i traveled to Paris 3 days ago to see the great Goove Master Manu Katché, took photos and even filmed a little with my pocket camera...The show was just amazing, the acoustic in the theater great. They actually did not amplify the drums, so it was great listening to Manu 'acousticaly'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPDIUu875rI

WOW! This statement is now in my top 5 of the dumbest ones I ever read here on Drummerworld!

Well, how about this: If he really was playing like a music store drummer, how exactly do you think he made it onto one stage with Sting or PG?? Are you saying that these two guys are so untalented and unaware of what their Drummer is doing that they just didn´t realize that the guy couldn´t play??

Hmmmm... I guess that you must be such a great musician that you never listen to such untalented people like Sting or PG because their music isn´t rather special, is it?

Next time you post don`t forget that you are posting something on the most famous drumming board on the Net. Some of the guys that we are talking about here actually do read this and answer to some posts. If I was Manu and had to read your stupid statement, I´d be really annyoed by the fact that some punk who doesn´t know anything about me posts such bs. Well - as far as I know Manu, he probably wouldn`t care a bit.

Yeah...I think I'll add that to my top five dumbest too. Come on man....Listen!

Has anyone heard the Joan Armatrading album "Whats inside" this to me is by far his best work.. I love his Drumming.. a true inspiration

Hi - I did a search for Manu Katche on this forum but found only 2 short posts. I have been extremely impressed with what I consider his unique, musical playing style and love what he did with Peter Gabriel. To me something very magical. Wondered if there are are drummers out there that know more about Manu who could add their thoughts? Cheers.

I LOVE Manu's playing very much. The guy is so musical, so subtle and so killin all the time. Folks treat yourself - go listen to Sting's "Lazarus Heart" - the playing on that tune is so tasteful and grooving/swinging like mad. When I heard that I was blown away man - I mean the stuff he plays to propel that tune and compliment everything else happening is just pure drumming genius.

His solo album on ECM is really great as well - check it out.

Cheers,
Byrne

Have you brought Manu's most recent album 'Playground'? Its an excellent example of his subtle and tasteful playing. I got tickets to see him at Marciac jazz festival but unfortunately there was a storm on the night of the concert. I was crushed!

If you want a real treat, find Manu Dibango's Wakafrica. Mr. Katche is an absolute groovemaster on that album. The album is on my continuous rotation list. I never tire of listening to Manu's drumming.

Back