Cymbal stand noises driving me crazy!

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
I bought three new Yamaha 700 series cymbal stands and when the cymbals are rolled on with mallets I can hear internal rattling in the hardware. Got felts on top and bottom and the wingnut is removed. The sleeve is new and the cymbal touches no metal parts.

Anybody got a suggestion to fix this?

Yeah man, my Mapex stands sometimes do that... At first I didn't know where to look at... After some time I found out that a wingnut would loosen up ever so slightly and that caused the rattling.

Be careful though, don't overtighten everything 'cause you may break it. And maybe it isn't your problem. But as a first advice: Check every single wingnut and adjust it firmly.

Cheers.

I bought three new Yamaha 700 series cymbal stands and when the cymbals are rolled on with mallets I can hear internal rattling in the hardware. Got felts on top and bottom and the wingnut is removed. The sleeve is new and the cymbal touches no metal parts.

Anybody got a suggestion to fix this?

I'll bet this won't happen if the stand is fully extended to its highest. My bet is that your stand is currently set lower and the bottom end of the male tube is rattling against the inside of the female tube.

Extend the stand as high as it will go and do this again. If I am correct, you will be able to stop the problem by putting a rubber ring around the bottom of the male tube, or cutting it down to shorten it.

There's a lot of hardware that exhibits this type of rattle, some much worse than others.

Dennis

There should be a plastic/vinyl sleeve at the end of the stand lengths (take apart stand, look at the end of the pipe, no sleeve?) You may have found them about the house from time to time, "what are these for?" and toss them away. Just add electrical tape to the end of the pipe to take up the gap.

I'll try these ideas. Thanks guys!

Back