Philly Joe Jones

Most people who know Philly's stuff know this, it's pretty obvious. Philly was the 'poster boy' for how you can make rudiments musical!

Very cool about your teacher studying with PJJ.

G

That's very true, you can hear it in his solo ideas. When I took a lesson with Steve Rucker from UM we talked about trading 2s, 4s and phrases like this, the first person he mentioned was Joe Jones and his ideas from Milestones. When I bought this album I was sold that his playing was extreamly innovative for his time in playing. His playing has inpsired me greatly when it comes to soloing and just grooving with a group. I enjoy his playing. his touch and especially his incredible abilities with brushes. I too am suprised that this thread was not made long ago.

If you guys are interested getting PJJ brush artistry booklet in PDF just PM your email address and it will be a pleasure for me to sent it to you (about 2 Mb pdf files).

I was just thinking, "What on earth's toteman doing posting in a Philly Joe thread?", but I see you still managed to work Donati in there. Good effort :)

I would honestly like to know just what that is suppose to mean....

Am I restricted from enjoying jazz, and Philly Joe Jones? I just don't understand...What's the problem with mentioning in a "Philly Joe Jones thread" that he happend to teach Virgil Donati when he was 19 years old...Is that a problem? I thought it would be helpful to the thread by bringging more infromation about him.

I would honestly like to know, just what that is suppose to mean....

Am I restricted from enjoying jazz, and Philly Joe Jones? I just don't understand...What's the problem with mentioning in a "Philly Joe Jones thread" that he happend to teach Virgil Donati when he was 19 years old...Is that a problem? I thought it would be helpful to the thread by bringging more infromation about him.

PJJ taught Donati? Looks like Donati wasn't listening.

G

I would honestly like to know just what that is suppose to mean....Am I restricted from enjoying jazz, and Philly Joe Jones?

Of course not! It's just that I mostly see you talking about guys like Donati and Weckl, so I was surprised when I saw you in this thread. I was then less surprised when I saw you mention Donati. It wasn't meant to be an insult man.

Gregg shares my other thought though: I can't imagine what on earth PJJ taught Donati.

I always loved Philly. Especially what he recorded with Hank Mobley. As far as I am concerned those recordings are required listening for any serious drummer. I feel it is some of the most definitive hard bop playing on record.

*bump*
I feel I should jump in here as I know/heard something about this.

My teacher in Aus (Graham Morgan, bit of a legend in Aus and the teacher to go to for learning jazz) taught Donati when he was very young and also happened to do some study with philly. They were good friends, and I believe it was Graham that gave the idea to Donati to study with 'philly' as that is Grahams favourite player and someone that he has studied and teaches about extensively.

As for Donati not learning anything, I believe that PJJ actually recommended to Bill Evans that Donati take over from himself when he stopped playing with Evans. Interesting huh? I couldn't believe it. But, Graham has also said that he was a fine jazz player and alot of his early gigging work in melbourne was jazz stuff before he moved into rock/fusion/prog stuff. Though you certainly can't hear the influence.

I don't know...who knows? It is interesting to hear these things. I can't really stand Donati's music to be honest. I guess because of his 'talent' for the more complicated stuff he is now pigeon holed as being a one trick pony so to speak. But, it's odd hearing of his early career and then to see something so completely different.

Now before anyone hassles me, don't kill the messenger. I'm neither for or against Donati. To be honest I don't really care about peoples like or dislike of him either. I just thought I'd pass something on that I'd heard for the sake of anyone interested.

Anywho, back on topic. I've always been astounded at the way PJJ put together his phrases. Graham has transcribed...everything and each time we go over something I'm amazed anew at his rudimental inventiveness. Jazzgregg is right though, I thought it was widely known that PJJ was big on the rudiments and wilcoxin etc.

I can state categorically that YES, Donati spent a lot of time playing jazz gigs. I know, I witnessed many of them.

What's the name of Philly's brush method book? I never knew he even had one, and I'm interested to give it a look.

What's the name of Philly's brush method book? I never knew he even had one, and I'm interested to give it a look.

i have that book too, its a nice intro to various brush patterns. if you missed it, i believe there is a post on here where the person said he'd be willing to make a copy for anyone interested.

i have that book too, its a nice intro to various brush patterns. if you missed it, i believe there is a post on here where the person said he'd be willing to make a copy for anyone interested.

Really?? Could you please show me! :)

If you guys are interested getting PJJ brush artistry booklet in PDF just PM your email address and it will be a pleasure for me to sent it to you (about 2 Mb pdf files).

Guys take the good habit to read every post in threads...

I came on here looking for album suggestions, because I just picked up Hank Mobley's WORKOUT...and wow....Philly is so smooth....wow! So...now that I have a few more albums to listen too....it's off to the record store!

Hey...out of the Miles CDs ....the Workin' etc...series....which one is anyones favorite? Steamin, Workin, Cookin', Relaxin' ??

Thanks all.........

Last edited:
I came on here looking for album suggestions, because I just picked up Hank Mobley's WORKOUT...and wow....Philly is so smooth....wow! So...now that I have a few more albums to listen too....it's off to the record store!

Hey...out of the Miles CDs ....the Workin' etc...series....which one is anyones favorite? Steamin, Workin, Cookin', Relaxin' ??

Thanks all.........

Those are all excellent sessions - why not pick them all up (used on Amazon is next to nothing)?

I like Working the best, personally. Red Garland and Philly trade some stuff that is just so hooked up it gives me chills to listen to it.

One album I really dig is Dexter Gordon: Dexter Calling. I just picked up the Blues for Dracula album the other day and I really dig it. Besides the monologue, there is some really great playing on there. The solos on "Ow" are really tastey, probably the best use of space I have heard from Philly Joe. I also really like his drumming on "Gone, Gone, Gone" from the Miles Davis Porgy and Bess album. He was definitely a character...in addition to being a beast of a drummer.

I'm reminded of an amusing story about Philly Joe Jones and Keith Moon of all people. Apparently Philly lived, or at least taught in London during the '60s. Moonie came to Philly for lessons. Philly asked Moon to sit down on the drums and play. Moon did his thing for a few minutes and Philly just looked at him and said (paraphrasing) "If you can make money doing that, there's nothing I can teach you."

I'm reminded of an amusing story about Philly Joe Jones and Keith Moon of all people. Apparently Philly lived, or at least taught in London during the '60s. Moonie came to Philly for lessons. Philly asked Moon to sit down on the drums and play. Moon did his thing for a few minutes and Philly just looked at him and said (paraphrasing) "If you can make money doing that, there's nothing I can teach you."

Hahaha - that's great. Seems like Philly was quite the character as well as the player.

Back