Favourite Vocal Harmonies

[email protected]

Hey guys, just wondering what songs contained some of your favourite vocal harmonies. For me, when judging a song, I always look for vocal harmonies, and how good they are. One of my favourite things for sure!!

Well these are oldies but goodies...whenever I think of harmonies the first one I think of is the Mama's and the Papa's California dreaming...sweet!

And The Beach Boys Good Vibrations is at the top of my list as well.

Obvious choices but they are always first to pop into my head when I hear the word harmony, so I guess that means something.

Well these are oldies but goodies...whenever I think of harmonies the first one I think of is the Mama's and the Papa's California dreaming...sweet!

And The Beach Boys Good Vibrations is at the top of my list as well.

Obvious choices but they are always first to pop into my head when I hear the word harmony, so I guess that means something.

California Dreaming is a great song!!!! great harmonies!!!! For me The Beatles did some really great harmonies, but i really think some unsung heroes in the harmony department are Super Tramp on Goodbye Stranger and Yes in a number of their songs. (Going for the One has some great harmonies at the very end).

'Us and Them' by Pink Floyd is the first thing that springs to mind. There are so many though.

'The Lamb' by John Rutter. 'Crown of Roses' by Tchaikovsky.

Songs are too many too mention. But I've always been impressed by the vocal harmonies by the following groups.

The Beach Boys and Mama's and Papa's have been mentioned......great vocal work.
The Eagles had some awesome harmonies at play.
Crosby, Stills and Nash (and later, Young).
Simon and Garfunkle.
Toto.
The Who
The Hollies....their harmonies were totally fabulous.
The Beatles had some good stuff too.
Queen.
Fleetwood Mac.
The Travelling Wilburys
And I've always been really impressed with the loose, raw, blues/country-esque harmonies that Keith Richards provided.....especially that late 60's/early 70's Stones era.

I'm sure I'll think of a heap more now that you've raised the question.

Beatles, Queen, 10CC, Indigo Girls, The Who.

I'm not a harmony connoisseur and I can say for sure that the worst harmonies I've heard have been done by bands I've played. My voice sounds like the whine of a blocked vacuum cleaner - on a good day :(

Someone's watched Anchorman...

What about Eagles - Seven Bridges Road

Someone's watched Anchorman...

What about Eagles - Seven Bridges Road

Actually, no. I don't admit this too often, but I actually have the 45 RPM single on vinyl that I got in 1976. But I only listen to it in the late late late late evenings on an old elementary school record player....

Queen, Mamas and Papas, Everly brothers, Beatles, Beach boys, Alice in chains...to name a few that come to mind right away....

Actually, no. I don't admit this too often, but I actually have the 45 RPM single on vinyl that I got in 1976. But I only listen to it in the late late late late evenings on an old elementary school record player....
I don't get your reply...

Do you not agree with me or do you agree?

Steely Dan got Michael McDonald to do a lot of the backup vocal harmonies on their ablums. Absolutely awesome stuff.

Some of my favorites that feature the backup vocals:
Peg on Aja
I Got The News on Aja
Bad Sneakers on Katy Lied

Pure awesome.

Last edited:
Back