Steve Judd

You were there? Lucky! Karnivool is such an awesome and under-appreciated band. Steve Judd's drumming (and Drew's on Themata) is some of the most creatively awesome drumming I have ever heard and I would love to see some more love for them on DW.

first of all, kudos to the threadstarter for bringing forward Steve Judd's from awesome oz band Karnivool. I was quite frustrated at times (lol) about drummers who dont know who the hell is Steve Judd.. I love caudal lure from sound awake album.. how he manipulate 4/4 into the song's groove.. its quite applausable. Dont you agree? :D

Of course!! The Caudal Lure has one of the coolest grooves that I have heard in a while. I learned it not too long ago but I can't make it feel quite as good as Steve can. It is mostly in 4/4 but one complete cycle of the groove squeezes two measures of 3/4 in there. Here's to hoping we get a new Karnivool album in 2012!!!

P.S. Does anybody know if Steve has any side-projects or anything? I'd like to hear his playing in another context.

Just an update on Steve's work in Karnivool. They are almost finished recording their third album so it should be released within the next few months! Below is a link to a video of them playing one of the new songs from the album. This was like six months ago so I wouldn't be surprised if the song has changed a lot since then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U10Nf673fe8

Got to see Karnivool for the 5th time I think, about a month back, and this was actually the first time I'd seen them at an inside venue, and holy shit, Steve had some sort of trigger on his bass drum that made the whole room rumble, I felt like I was being punched in the balls.... but I liked it.

Other than that, Steve's kit sounded incredible, especially, his stack. I've been a fan of this trashy sound for a long time and I'm now in the position of cymbal purchase, went down to the drum store today, played around with a couple of stacks, best one I got was stacking a Kahzan 14" China inside a Kahzan 16" China, I feel the 'cheaper' brands tend to have a trashier sound and more to what I'm after.

I was having a look at some closer pics of Steve's kit and didn't notice any immediate stamps/badges, does anybody have ANY idea what he's actually using for his stack?

793728_10151462884991163_509972294_o.jpg

793867_10151462882896163_981841953_o.jpg

I'm amazed that they can write what they write.. To me they're the ultimate progressive band. I knew Drew recorded drums for Themata but didn't know he was primarily a drummer. I'm sure having a drummer writing guitar riffs has made this band what it is.

And of course I love Steve Judd and his sound.

Steve is one of the grooviest, most fluid drummers I know.

Anyways, for the stack- I'm going to guess 20-22" china, 18-20" crash, 12-14" splash. If you're going for new stuff, Wuhans (or the like) would probably make a good set, or maybe a Byzance Traditional China, Byzance Vintage Trash/K EFX, and an AAX Aero splash or Classics Custom Trash Splash. Honestly, I'd probably use less stuff, since we have no idea what that stack sounded like before EQ, processing, etc.

For even further reference, Simple Boy is the song that he utilises the Stack the most (throughout a whole song, anyway)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV_mkTn4fb0

and then he plays it at the end of Change

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuvF50INiZs

(Starts around 12 min, when he jams out on it)

Then there is actually a camera shooting from underneath it and it looks like a 20" crash/ride with a smaller crash on top and then a splash.

Either way, it's going to be a long day at the drum store, when I start experimenting with Stacks :D

For even further reference, Simple Boy is the song that he utilises the Stack the most (throughout a whole song, anyway)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV_mkTn4fb0

and then he plays it at the end of Change

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuvF50INiZs

(Starts around 12 min, when he jams out on it)

Then there is actually a camera shooting from underneath it and it looks like a 20" crash/ride with a smaller crash on top and then a splash.

Either way, it's going to be a long day at the drum store, when I start experimenting with Stacks :D

alright, so a crash/ride then instead of a china. you're going to need some small bells!

alright, so a crash/ride then instead of a china. you're going to need some small bells!

Well I was trying to wrap my head around how someone would put a Crash on top of a China? I just can't see that happening very conventionally...? and Wuhan china's are inverted oppositely to how any other China is.

With a Wuhan, it'd have to be with the china in the inverted position (flange down) and the crash just on top of that- normal in Steve's case or inverted for a Halpern-style stack. You'd need a fair bit of real estate on the cymbal post for the first one though.

Does anyone know what type of hat it is that Steve Judd usually is seen wearing virtually all the time when playing? (Ironically he's not in the picture above).

Random question I know. But yes he's one of my favourite drummers and a very musical player.

Back