Breaking sticks

Re: Best Sticks For Powerful Drumming?

I second the Thomas Lang signatures. Just as advertised, they create a massive 'BOOM' on the toms and an ear-crunching CRACK on the snare!

zildjian_dude101 said:
Hey now, I love Ahead sticks. ..........., don't use them if you play rimshots. I only use them for my Metal and Punk drumming.

I have alot of metal in my background and it shows through in my playing.....No rimshots in metal???? What is wrong with that picture????

aahznightsky said:
for any kit drumming actually, i wouldnt recommend thick sticks.

with practice anyone can get a big sound out of their toms, its not about the size of the stick but the skill of the stroke (ever seen Hernandez live? huuuge sound, and his sticks are super thin)

so i recommend thinner sticks ... because they allow for quicker movement between different drums, allowing you to be more nimble moving around different pieces of the kit

I totaly agree with ya man. I use 727's. Its thin....but not toooo thin. I find a 7A a bit to thin though.

thomas lang sticks, huh? i might just have to go get a few pairs of those.......

i used to use the vic firth " anton fig" rock crushers....those sticks were amazing....wish they still made those....i like thick sticks just because i can't just seem to get the feel i want from a thinner stick........

all a matter of preference, i guess................

Thanks for some interesting replies. I think I will go for the Thomas Lang sticks. Are they natrually white or are they finished in white?

Regards

I have tried Alot of sticks. I used 5a's for the longest time...then tired out a few bigger sticks(5b's 2b's) and the Thinner sticks are the way to go!!!!The promark 727 White oaks are the best , strongest sticks i have used. I play eveyday for 2-3 hours and i just got a pair of 727's about 2 weeks ago. They havent even chiped in one spot...and alll other oak/hickory sticks chip after the first rim shot!!! Very Durable!!!!! plus they have a great feel and They are balanced. I also use 7a's for practice...... but i feel like i am playing with pecils when i bring em to the kit. Oh yeah....and AHEADS are Really horrible. The rim shots are not right. They will destroy your cymbals if you dont keep up with the sleeves..they feel weird when u play with em. They leave black plastic debre everywhere. And if you hit em just right....they snap off without Any effort. I can get 5 pairs of Promarks 727 oaks for the same price of the AHEADS... The promarks sound better, Feel better. They are just Better All around sticks. This is not an opinion ...It Is A Fact!!!!!!!!!

Try the AHEAD Tico Torres Signature Sticks.I love them,but they're very heavy too.I think they're like 1As.

I play thrash metal, and I usually use pro mark 5A's, but I recently tried the A Head 5A's and they're amazing. They are balanced, they don't really require any adaptation, (they are balance and play the same as wood sticks), they are very durable, and they don't leave wood shavings everywhere, so they won't put any sort of hinderance on your drums' sound (since the shavings sometines get caught under the rims of the drums and require cleaning every so often). I just baught a pair ; you can't go wrong!

I like vader 5b although I did recently swich to the los angeles 5a and I'm still getting plenty of power and they are less taxing on my wrists. Don't use ahead they trash your cymbals and they do break.

Re: Breaking sticks left and right...

I have never broken a stick.. I have though, on multiple occasions, played a stick so long that the head was no longer there,.... it didn't break of, it just slowly chipped away till it looked like it was a dagger, lol.

Re: Breaking sticks left and right...

I wouldn't worry about breaking new sticks. Buy a brick of some nice hickory sticks (5A or 5B) and you'll be all set. When I first got my Tama set, I spent $6,000 customizing with 3 mounted toms, 3 floor toms, a snare, 2 bass drums, and 4 octobans, all remo heads on both sides(except the octobans), a tama drum rack, and 10 Sabian AA, AAX, and HHX cymbals, a mic for every drum, 1 mic for every 2 cymbals, and 4 amps, I went balliz-tic on my drums. I made sure I got what I paid for, and I have had so much fun.

I buy 1 brick of drums stick every month, for 3 months, then wait until most of the pairs are broken, then continue the cycle.

Wondering how a 16 year old paid for a $6,000 drum kit? Here's the answer. I have a job that pays $12.00 per hour. I saved up every month, and each month, I bought a new item. First I spent, about 2,000 on a kit with 1 bass, a 2 mounted toms, and two floor toms, and a snare and 4 cymbals on a drum rack. Then, i would buy either a new cymbal and stand, or a new drum each month. I make about $300 a week, so at the end of a month, I would have made about $1200, but about $600 to spend (the price one drum with a mount or a small cymbal pack and new cymbal stands). I took me almost two years, but I accomplished it. Also, eBay helps a lot.

drumbig said:
Don't use ahead they trash your cymbals and they do break.

Are you serious?This rumour is soo old,and so wrong.Aheads do not break your cymbals faster than any wood stick,and this is fact.
Please don't buy any sticks,because all of them will break...someday ;-)

If you're looking for really BIG sticks, try the Vater 3S. I bought them once to get some power practicing doublestrokes on a pad.

for powerfull drumming i use lars signature ahead sticks,ahead sticks are made of some type of cast metal with a rubber sleeve and screw off tip,best about it is you never throe the sticks away just the rubber sleeve and replace it and there are dif types of screw off tips to get diff sounds,they cost alot to begin with but i have mine now for 6 months and id say they will last for another 6

The Anton Fig signature model from Vic Firth is hefty and plenty loud! It is a bit longer then most and that is what I like about them the most. They are a tad on the heavy side though.

J P

Butter said:
Are you serious?This rumour is soo old,and so wrong.Aheads do not break your cymbals faster than any wood stick,and this is fact.
Please don't buy any sticks,because all of them will break...someday ;-)
It is a fact that they do break more cymbals and I will tell you why. The edge of the cymbal sometimes cuts thru the plastic sleeves and the aluminum puts a little dent in your cymbal's edge and this is where a crack can easily start. I used to use the Tommy Lee signature aheads and I quit after breaking three Z customs and those are some tough cymbals.

That's why you should get a new sleeve after a few months.I don't know anybody who broke a cymbal with his Aheads,and I know many friends who're playing with them ;-)

They don't destroy heads,too.

Try the Vater Fusions. They have a very loud crack and are only a little thicker than 5a. I play nylon and you wont have ANY problem getting volume out of them.

Back