Josh Freese to be replaced by Ilan Rubin

blinkboxplant

Trent Reznor recently announced that, starting in January, Ilan Rubin of Lostprophets will be filling Josh Freese's shows as drummer for NIN nails. In October, Freese announced he was leaving the band at the end of the current tour to spend more time with his family.

Reznor's statement:

"With great pride and excitement I announce the addition of Ilan Rubin to the lineup beginning next year. I had the chance to see Ilan playing his ass off at Reading and Leeds a couple summers ago and he blew me away. We recently invited him out to rehearse with us and he blew US away - the perfect guy to pick up the sticks after Josh leaves us at the end of the year."

Rubin also released his first multi-instrumental solo effort "Coup" as "The New Regime" on November 18, where he sang and played every note on the album. The record contains all original material and is available digitally on most digital download sites. A few of the songs can be previewed at www.myspace.com/thenewregime.

Rubin auditoning for NIN.

ilan-nin-705391.jpg

As a big NIN fan, I can say that losing Freese is a loss. A massive one - it would be to any band. I'm not fan of the Lostprophets, not by a long stretch, but I think Rubin may well have it covered. If so; good for him. That's a huge gig.

Old news .

Sorry if I posted something that had already been posted here. I did a "search" and didn't see anything on the subject, so I posted the news.

Silzldrummer, Rubin is 20 and is putting together a nice career. If you get a chance, listen to his solo stuff. His skills on all the other instruments he plays are exceptional.

As a big NIN fan, I can say that losing Freese is a loss. A massive one - it would be to any band. I'm not fan of the Lostprophets, not by a long stretch, but I think Rubin may well have it covered. If so; good for him. That's a huge gig.

My thoughts exactly, but they're some pretty damn big shoes for Rubin to fill...

My thoughts exactly, but they're some pretty damn big shoes for Rubin to fill...

According to Reznor, Rubin is the guy to fill those shoes. I know they looked at other drummers and that Ilan was hired on the spot, so I'm sure Reznor wasn't over-hyping when ge said Ilan blew the whole band away.

Since then, Reznor has also said they'll be doing something new for the NZ/Aussie shows, so hopefully he'll be incorporating Ilan's style of playing in whatever he has planned.

Listening to a bit of Rubin's solo stuff - It seems to me that he'll be a pretty good fit with Reznor. No disrespect to Freese of course, he's certainly not going to be hurting for gigs whatsoever.

That blows. The only reason I was going to that show was to see Josh. Not that the new guy is bad, but?

Interesting. I actually went to see lostprophets recently and the bloke can do pretty good bass/tom rolls i must say. Obviously just because it's LP means that it's not gonna be able to be the most amazing drumming but what he could do, he did pretty well.

Ilan Rubin is definitely a groovin' drummer with skill and feel. I admire him a lot. Interesting enough also that he is an open handed drummer. Has interesting style... Go Ilan Rubin!!!

As a big fan of NIN, I would say that it doesn't matter who plays the drums when you're re-creating electronic music where no specific drummer or specific style matters in the slightest.

A much bigger example would be like when Joey Castillo left Queens of the stone age. His drumming style really influenced the music more so than a lot of drummers, and it's never really been the same. I think that Josh was actually looking for less style and more precision... Which is what he got with the latest change.

Back