Nylon vs. Wood tip

My stickbag has a mixture of both.

It also contains about 5 sets with the tips completely broken off and like Pollyanna, I often play with these sticks using the butt end.

I usually use nylons just for practice because I can't afford to go through woods like candy, which I usually do. I can get a wood stick to last me about 2-3 weeks. I still havent broken my nylons, and Ive had them a week now so so far so good. The sound of the tips doesn't really bother me because I don't really like my ride and I'm going to get a new one, but it already sounded weird(very dark and earthy) so whats the difference. And I just use them for practice. So really whether I like the sound or not, nobody else has to hear it. But long story short I use nylons for practice and am considering using them all around because I really like the ping it gives

it´s really about a combination of the stick and cymbal (or head) and finding a combination that works with you.

as a newb myself, i have gone through a few sticks in the past 4 years (i´ve broken Marching Band sticks). i´ve never liked wooden tips or even wooden sticks, but i found that the shape of the bead, as well as whether nylon or wood is a factor.

i never thought that wood would ping like i want it to, but i found that some wood sticks ping better than nylon tips. anything is possible.

however, now that i´ve found my Ahead Studio Hybrid AB´s all my problems are solved as far as sticks are concerned. i do however tape up the butt end of the stick with electrical tape.

your kit is a system with components...you will find out what works for

a) your sound
b) your technique
c) your cymbal
d) your heads
e) other : )

happy thumping.

Wooden tips are the only serious choice.

Not feeling particularly diplomatic today,
8Mile

Thanks for the link to the video. The difference actually was a little more subtle than I imagained, at least in this demonstration, but that does help.

I like nylon tips but I haven't used them in forever because the tips keep flying off the stick. Are there any brands that don’t do this?

And thanks for that mike johnston vid. The "Teardrop" tip sounded bright like nylon, but had a very beefy sound to it. "Acorn" sounded warmer, with alot of body to it. Now if only there was a hybid...

I much prefer wood tips because to me they sound better. However, due to a change in finaces (my wife retired), I went with nylon tipped because they last much longer. But I found a solution: Pulse drumsticks at Musician's Friend. They are Vater seconds. Vater rejects any stick with color variation, which does not bother me at all. The other musicians I play with said they like how the Pulse sticks look. They may say "Pulse", but they came from the Vater factory. I am on the second pair, and so far they last as long as any other wood-tipped stick I have ever used. At six pairs for twenty bucks, I can afford to use wood tips again. Peace and goodwill.

I like nylon tips but I haven't used them in forever because the tips keep flying off the stick. Are there any brands that don’t do this?

QUOTE]

I have used nylon sticks for 15 years and found that Pro-Mark makes some pretty durable ones...I found that Vic Firth and Zildjian sticks had the 'tip flying off' problems like crazy, at least in my experience.

I wear down the shoulder of the stick before the tips wear out, so I choose based on sound rather than durability of the tip. For me, that's generally a wood tip.

I had that problem with Vic Firth, but I got Vaters and have not had one fly off yet. I would get some of the Vaters at Guitar Center and see how you like them

I wear down the shoulder of the stick before the tips wear out, so I choose based on sound rather than durability of the tip. For me, that's generally a wood tip.

I do the same. Some of the shoulders on my sticks look as if a beaver was chomping on them.

Dennis

Pulse drumsticks at Musician's Friend. They are Vater seconds. Vater rejects any stick with color variation, which does not bother me at all.

They also reject Crooked sticks..........................so............

Last edited:
Hey, sorry for the bump, but I now use nylon tips exclusively for everything. I really love the ping you get from them, and I like how durable they are. So far the Vaters and Promarks have been the toughest sticks I've used, holding up to all the abuse I put them through

OK so I haven't seen one post in this thread addressing the application of clear nail polish to your wood tips for longevity purposes. Anybody do this? I've never done it. Don't really feel the need..I will have played 90 total gigs this year and I think that I used a total of 3 pair, 1 of which I am still wearing down. Wood tips. The nylon tip sounds different to the player, but I don't think it really matters 10 feet away.

Back