THE GOOD SNARE THREAD

Re: SNARE HELP

definately check out black panther snares, they have so many snares you can choose from, im sure youd fine a sound you love in one of them. i just picked up a premium birdseye maple 5x14 and its amazing. and personally, i wouldnt get a piccolo. theyre fun for a while, but they soon get old. the first new snare i got was a piccolo, which i really liked at first, but after a while i was really craving the sound of a regular size drum.

G-MaN91 said:
definately check out black panther snares, they have so many snares you can choose from, im sure youd fine a sound you love in one of them. i just picked up a premium birdseye maple 5x14 and its amazing. and personally, i wouldnt get a piccolo. theyre fun for a while, but they soon get old. the first new snare i got was a piccolo, which i really liked at first, but after a while i was really craving the sound of a regular size drum.

Something goofy about the finish seclection.
Birdseye maple has a distinct, and beautiful grain.

This is craviatto natural birdseye:
200431822297.jpg

Here is the mapex
products_premium_birdseye.jpg

It's just twisted and sick to paint FLAT BLACK over a woodgrain like that.

At least yamaha had the sense to make the black over musashi oak a transparent color to show the grain.

What's next? Gloss neon lime wrap over waterfall bubinga?

yes, i agree. but that picture does the drum no justice. you can still clearly see the grain and it looks great with the black hardware.

G-MaN91 said:
yes, i agree. but that picture does the drum no justice. you can still clearly see the grain and it looks great with the black hardware.

Do you go to Daddy's in Portsmouth, or into Manchester for drum gear?

I stopped by blue mtn guitar center in West Leb last july. They have quite a few yamaha kits.

Keller shells is in NH as well...

Thinshells said:
Do you go to Daddy's in Portsmouth, or into Manchester for drum gear?

I stopped by blue mtn guitar center in West Leb last july. They have quite a few yamaha kits.

Keller shells is in NH as well...

if im buying i a big item (new kit, cymbals, snare) i go to the Drum Shop in Portland, ME. if im just going to get new heads or sticks, something like that, ill got to Earcraft in Dover, NH (about ten minutes away from somersworth). i hate going there though because the people who work there are absolute jerks and there prices are pretty high. Daddys i dont really like either, nor does my drum teacher, or other drummers and musicians ive talked to. i dont think they have the greatest stuff instock and i dont think the workers are very helpful or polite. never been to a place in Manchester. where is Keller shells located in NH?

G-MaN91 said:
if im buying i a big item (new kit, cymbals, snare) i go to the Drum Shop in Portland, ME. if im just going to get new heads or sticks, something like that, ill got to Earcraft in Dover, NH (about ten minutes away from somersworth). i hate going there though because the people who work there are absolute jerks and there prices are pretty high. Daddys i dont really like either, nor does my drum teacher, or other drummers and musicians ive talked to. i dont think they have the greatest stuff instock and i dont think the workers are very helpful or polite. never been to a place in Manchester. where is Keller shells located in NH?

I thought daddy's (like the one in Vermont) was rinky dink. Advance music is the only real choice I have unless I drive out of state. Even then, Advance has some very young dudes on staff.

Keller shells:
P.O. Box 4105
41 Union Street
Manchester, NH

603-627-7887.

Thinshells, or anyone else who knows,

Sort of an arbitrary inquiry here, but figured this thread would be appropriate. I've always loved the sound of Chris Layton's snare (Stevie Ray Vaughn)...in particular the sound he has on the Instep album. If you've happened to hear his stuff, do you have any idea what he's playing?

Once I get my set cleaned up from storage and tuned up, I'd like to start adding on. A new snare is a must. I've always loved piccolos but for some reason, a deeper, warmer sound with a good pop is appealing too. I've done a lot of searches on Layton and can't really tell from any of the pictures.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
WK, when I saw layton he was a Tama player, if memory serves me correctly.
He had a ludwig supra and a tama wood shell that he'd use alternately on stuff.

But, in the studio, all bets are off. Guys that endorse one company think nothing of using whatever gear will get a type of sound they're going for. ie Vinnie Coluita endorses gretsch, yet, uses a ludwig snare on stage and in the studio.

Oftentimes, unless you're in the studio at the time of recording, or the drummer says he used whatever, there's no way of really knowing.

ClockworkOrange said:
WK, when I saw layton he was a Tama player, if memory serves me correctly.
He had a ludwig supra and a tama wood shell that he'd use alternately on stuff.

But, in the studio, all bets are off. Guys that endorse one company think nothing of using whatever gear will get a type of sound they're going for. ie Vinnie Coluita endorses gretsch, yet, uses a ludwig snare on stage and in the studio.

Oftentimes, unless you're in the studio at the time of recording, or the drummer says he used whatever, there's no way of really knowing.

Thanks for the info CO! That will give me a good starting point as far as testing out new snares when I get enough $ to buy. I've tried doing a search for Modern Drummer interviews where perhaps he's mentioned what he's used in the past. Maybe someone here has read those in the past somewhere. It's a long shot, but, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

1st ever post!
Erm, iv only been drumming for a while and iv only played a few snares. i own a cheap kit and managed to break the snare drum that came with it. i then replaced it with a yamaha v power steel shelled monster. 14 inches across, 6.5 deep. it is so loud and has amazing attack and tone, you feel it as clearly as you hear it. it will hold up well in any type of music, i know because iv used it in everything from acoustic rock to heavy metal and every single time everyone i was playing with commented on how loud it was and how good it sounded. not bad considering i only paid £36 for it on ebay! however, its not very sensitive, and on ghost notes all you hear is the top skin, not the snare wires at all. still i love it and i think it was a great find! how i wish i could afford a new kit!

I like DW Snares maple Collecters series 5x14 and 5.5x12. Also i have a modern drumshop snare drum 5x14 that sounds awesome as well

My favorite all around snare is a Pearl Custom Z in Champagne birdseye maple finish. Though it's a rather thick maple ply shell, it was designed to behave very much like a solid. Very responsive at all volumes. Warm with dark overtones. 'Active' snare system makes for a real cutting crack. Think it was a pretty limited production run (early 90's) as I don't see them much.

Attachments

• Pearl4.jpg
    Pearl4.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 2,901
Last edited:
What is the point of buying a good snare? Doesn't it sometimes get to you that there is so much you will never be able to do in drumming...for example, play at the speed of light with one finger, or play along to an infinate number of completely different songs at different tempo's and time signatures and tuplet values, at the same time. You will never be able to play more than 4 different things at once without using electronics because you only have 4 limbs, or play so fast on the bass drum (even with double bass) that all your hits blend together to make a note of a definate pitch and you can play actual melodies on your bass drum (or any drum). You will never be able to even play a groove in exact timing, so you snare lands within the nano-micro-whatever second, right where it is meant to. The ultimate aim of any drummer should be to be able to control time itself, and it is something we will probably never achieve, so what is the point?

Well I dont quite see how your point relates to having a good snare or not.

Not every drummer plays as you describe. A crap snare sounds crap and a good snare sounds......good!
Snares are one of the most versatile drums sound wise as you can have so many combinations of heads, snares, tightness of snares, looseness of snares etc..

2 people could have the exact same snare but get 2 different sounds out of it. Thats why it makes sense to buy a decent quality snare.

Ludwig snares are usually fantastic in my opinion...

I had one of these before but it was stolen.

I am planning on buying another early next year.

PearlBrass6.5FreeFloater1.jpg

I just bought a stainless steel Dunnett, 14x 6.5, and it sounds absolutley awesome. It has an amazing range and sweet tone.

Back