Let's see your Gretsch kits (saved the best for last!)

^^^ for $400 bux! Even if you hate the ZBTs. THAT my friend is a dealio!

WOW,
these are some awesome kits guys! Gretch has such great variety too..awesome.
I've only had my set for 2 days now and don't yet have my cymbals. I'll go ahead and post a few pics of the drums until I get the rest. I'm getting rid of the edrums on my avatar.
My 1st kit I had for 25 years was 70's Slingerland in chrome with zil A cymbals, new beat hat. I sold it a few years ago due to my disability. This is my 1st brand new kit..
I will post more pics when I get the rest, my Saluda's and toys! I had to resize my pics so I hope they look okay on here..sorry if not.
Melinda

Attachments

• DSC01619_edited.JPG
    DSC01619_edited.JPG
    281.4 KB · Views: 4,361
  • DSC01620_edited.JPG
    DSC01620_edited.JPG
    269.1 KB · Views: 4,324
  • DSC01621_edited.JPG
    DSC01621_edited.JPG
    309.7 KB · Views: 4,325
  • DSC01622_edited.JPG
    DSC01622_edited.JPG
    243.6 KB · Views: 4,283
  • DSC01624_edited.JPG
    DSC01624_edited.JPG
    347.3 KB · Views: 4,271
WOW,
these are some awesome kits guys! Gretch has such great variety too..awesome.
I've only had my set for 2 days now and don't yet have my cymbals. I'll go ahead and post a few pics of the drums until I get the rest. I'm getting rid of the edrums on my avatar.
My 1st kit I had for 25 years was 70's Slingerland in chrome with zil A cymbals, new beat hat. I sold it a few years ago due to my disability. This is my 1st brand new kit..
I will post more pics when I get the rest, my Saluda's and toys! I had to resize my pics so I hope they look okay on here..sorry if not.
Melinda

Hellow Melinda!

You and I have the same kit! I just picked one of these up last night.
Great drums btw. Gretsch really knows how to build a great kit. From beginner to pro, they are all good. I am thinking about some head swaps. I like the G1 coateds on the toms, but the snare head and kick will no doubt be swapped soon. I am using my kit for rehearsal and gigging duties and think this kit will be seeing alot of use! I am also considering re-wrapping the shells as I am not real wild about the design, but Gretsch was blowing this finish out..so what I paid for them, I guess I can't complain too much.

I will post some pix as soon as I have everything tweek'd and set up proper.

Peace.

Just caught this...What do you mean.."cut down e-ring"?

Can't wait to see some pictures of your kit Yamahamer.
About the cut down e-ring, I bought an Evans E-ring for my 16" floor tom, but I found the ring dampened it waaay too much, so I cut it to abot 1/2" thick. Probably would have been easier to buy moongels, but oh well. I already had the e-ring.

Can't wait to see some pictures of your kit Yamahamer.
About the cut down e-ring, I bought an Evans E-ring for my 16" floor tom, but I found the ring dampened it waaay too much, so I cut it to abot 1/2" thick. Probably would have been easier to buy moongels, but oh well. I already had the e-ring.
I should have some pix up this weekend.
I have been messing around with tuning and find that these drums need no dampening.
Very full and resonant. The 5 lug 12 inch rack tom takes a little fussing, but once it's there..it's THERE!
Just a great sounding set of drums! Gonna go for the Aquarian SK1 on the kick I already have an Aquarian force ll white reso head that has a 5" port..I think an SK1 would be great on this bass drum with the force ll res.
I may also try out response 2 batters and look at different resonants (toms)

Oh yeah, I slapped on a Aquarian Hienergy snare batter and the drum came to life.
I still am messing with a snare reso swap and wireset.

So far, I am lovin' 'em.

I got some great compliments on the kit at a show last night. Several people commented that my kit sounded better than the other band's drummer's Pearl Masters MCX...and his kit sounded amazing. Normally I'd say it's all in the tuning...but that "Great Gretsch Sound" certainly makes it a little easier.

may2001.jpg

^^^Nice kit TT! What is it exactly...Catalina Maple/birch?

Sorry about the wonky pix, but I thought I should post these here.

DaveReggiedrums005.jpg

DaveReggiedrums007.jpg

DaveReggiedrums008.jpg

DaveReggiedrums017.jpg

Gig pics from this past Saturday night

Some gig pics of my Gretsch Renown (autumn burst) kit, set-up in a 4-pc configuration. Cymbals are all Zildjian: 13" K hats, 16" K Custom dark crash, 17" A Custom crash, 20" A Custom ping ride. Snare is a Ludwig Acrolite Black Galaxy

I was backing an artist named Brant Christopher (www.myspace.com/brantchristopher) down at a show in Vero Beach, FL

On to the pics....

09May_Brant_Christopher_Vero_1026_IJFR%20(Medium).jpg

09May_Brant_Christopher_Vero_945_IJFR%20(Medium).jpg

09May_Brant_Christopher_Vero_1073_IJFR%20(Medium).jpg

09May_Brant_Christopher_Vero_1077_IJFR%20(Medium).jpg

^^^Nice kit TT! What is it exactly...Catalina Maple/birch?

Catalina Birch. Same one as on page 4. Depth X diameter:
7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms
14x14 floor tom
18x22 bass drum
4x13 PDP snare

Here's a couple more pics....if I'm posting too many and flooding the thread with pictures, let me know and I'll change them to links instead.
P1010304.jpg

P1010301.jpg

P1010283.jpg

And of course, the driver's seat. I'll be moving the rack toms closer when I play it later today.
P1010286.jpg

Catalina Birch. Same one as on page 4. Depth X diameter:
7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms
14x14 floor tom
18x22 bass drum
4x13 PDP snare

Here's a couple more pics....if I'm posting too many and flooding the thread with pictures, let me know and I'll change them to links instead.]
P1010283.jpg

And of course, the driver's seat. I'll be moving the rack toms closer when I play it later today.
P1010286.jpg
Ahh, okay..I didn't put the 2 together. Catalina Birches are indeed great and for what you paid?? AWESOME! Cool set up btw!

Nice kit Yamahammer, I like your cymbal setup. How do you find the snare with the kit?
Thanks for the compliment.

I have to work on the tuning on the entire set. The stock resonant heads are poo!
I also need to replace the Attack thin skin 3 batter I got to try out on the kick..total waste of money! I have a feeling the Gretsch logo'd stock kick batter is better than this ATTACK head!
I can tell this kit has good potential..Just the heads on it now are not ideal.

This brings me to the snare. As of right now. I don't like it. It seems to have a very shallow tuning range..and favors a looser head tension..which I am not fond of. I tried putting a set of Puresound snare wires on the dooky snare side reso and it didn't respond any better. In fact it buzzed uncontrollably! Poorly cut snare bed or Krappy reso..prolly both!
I'm gonna mess with it a bit more and see if I can get a somewhat acceptable sound out of it..If not..MOTHBALLS or eBay.

The kit needs more tweeking than I expected..so far, I'm less than impressed.

Dont give up, It took me a while to get a good sound. You have to be patient, and try different tunings. I even got a good pop out of the snare somehow, and its bone stock.
Basically sat down with it, and took about an hour of messing around with it. I'm using it now over my yamaha maple snare.

Keep at it.. Evans Genera clear reso's do wonders for this kit. This may help. An Emad makes the bass thunder all the good ways as well.

Yeah, I'll give the it a chance yet.. I was expecting alot more. it is a Gretsch after all!

Just bought my first Gretsch kit. A Catalina club jazz in white pearl.
All though a bugdet priced kit, I am very inpressed.
The Toms and bass sound amaizing, not so inpressed with the snare. Might have to get my Yam birch custom snare out. With out looking at it to closely it sounds like they haven't cut the snare beds properly but thats Taiwan for you.
I have a couple of gigs over the week end and then in the studio for two weeks so I'll get some photo's on here soon.

Just bought my first Gretsch kit. A Catalina club jazz in white pearl.
All though a bugdet priced kit, I am very inpressed.
The Toms and bass sound amaizing, not so inpressed with the snare. Might have to get my Yam birch custom snare out. With out looking at it to closely it sounds like they haven't cut the snare beds properly but thats Taiwan for you.
I have a couple of gigs over the week end and then in the studio for two weeks so I'll get some photo's on here soon.
The snares on the club jazz kit seem to be their weakest point. It's also the bottom head and wires to blame, i've never seen a thinner head!..I should really get some pics of mine up..

Back