18" floor tom head

mydreamsmyanchor

so i received my 18" pearl masters floor tom today. sound good, but it has a lottttt of ring... i need some advice on heads. i want to go as deep as possible and minimize the ring just a little.

has anyone ever put a bass head on a floor tom?
what about ec2s?

so i received my 18" pearl masters floor tom today. sound good, but it has a lottttt of ring... i need some advice on heads. i want to go as deep as possible and minimize the ring just a little.

has anyone ever put a bass head on a floor tom?
what about ec2s?

It RINGS too much? That might be a tuning issue? What type of heads are you using currently?

One of my "most favorite" kick drum heads is the Remo Powerstroke 3, which I also use on larger sized toms. 14x10, 15x12, 14x14, 16x16, 18x16. That will take "a lot" of the ring out, without taking all of it out. Some would call it "a big fat sound". The Pinstripe head is also used extensively to tame "overly live" sounding drums. For that matter, a piece of T-shirt material rolled and taped on the drum head near or touching the rim, or a strip of felt run under the batter and/or reso. head....experiment.

It will cost a bit, but experiment with different thicknesses/styles. Like G-Plus's all the way the multi ply heads. It'll be worth it in the long run.

Moon Gels: do what you want and they are removable. I would say Remo Ambassador, Remo Emperor, or Fiberskyn Ambassador all sound great for nice drums. Evans G1 Coated heads are nice too. Heads like Pinstripes and EC2s sound like plastic often from in front of the kit but not to you behind it. I recommend coated heads on top and bottom get a nice warm big sound from it.

Back