Dave Weckl

does any one here feels like doesnt understand his solos?
like.. i think hes an awsome player.. and ive learned a lot from his instructional videos.. but i dont really understand his drumming.. (mostly the solos.. like the one on the beggining of "Back to basics")
is it just me?

"He's not ( that we know of) as versatile as Vinnie for example, and he doesn't get as many jobs recording with artists as Gadd did or Vinnie does. But maybe he doesn't want to do that.."

I have all three of them lumped into the same category for me. Not sure what muzak in the world needs what you refer to as a more versatile Vinnie rather than Weckl...

I just feel there's a bit of a barrier between drummers of the jazz nature and the other drummers of many different kinds of nature - when they refer to players like Weckl and Vinnie and Bissionette as "jazz" drummers or "jazzy" or whatever. I don't know any serious jazz drummers who are listening to these guys for jazz...

Could just be me though.

"He's not ( that we know of) as versatile as Vinnie for example, and he doesn't get as many jobs recording with artists as Gadd did or Vinnie does. But maybe he doesn't want to do that.."

I have all three of them lumped into the same category for me. Not sure what muzak in the world needs what you refer to as a more versatile Vinnie rather than Weckl...

I just feel there's a bit of a barrier between drummers of the jazz nature and the other drummers of many different kinds of nature - when they refer to players like Weckl and Vinnie and Bissionette as "jazz" drummers or "jazzy" or whatever. I don't know any serious jazz drummers who are listening to these guys for jazz...

Could just be me though.

this is true. pure modern jazz drummers are guys like lewis nash, watts, riley, stewart, erskine, etc. although out of those three up there i think vinnie is the most legit when it comes to straight up jazz. he just doesnt put himself in pure jazz situations that often. obviously weckl and bissonette can play jazz damn fine, but i think vinnie can dial in the style the best.

I'm glad it seems that most people in this thread enjoy and appreciate Dave, and I can't blame those who say Dave's not their cup of tea....

but it blows my mind when people say he's unoriginal or boring!!!

He's the extreme opposite fo me

But what I like most about Dave, as well as some of my other favs, is that he makes the drums a LEAD instrument, while also playing the drummer's role by holding down a groove a keeping time. His amazing chops just don't get in the way of his primary responsibilities

Busy, highly technical playing may not be your favorite but u cannot deny his creativity, phrasing, and execution.

Hey what do you guys think of Dave Weckl? I like his set up, His style, and His Sound.
What do u guys think?

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the privilege of seeing Dave do a clinic in Milwaukee Wisconsin about 10 months ago. He put on a great show, was very personable and seems like he would be a great teacher. He offered a lot of in-depth information and I think ran about a half hour over.
I have seen clips of his videos but don’t own any yet.

Happy holidays

dan

Completely not my style of drummer, but as I was not playing for around 20 years, I recently heard him on this site and was amazed. The comment of making the drums the lead instrument while holding a groove (and quite a groove it is) covers it best. Wish I had 1/2 his talent.

I bought one of his cd and book combos, but the cd only plays in my computer, not my cd player. The bad part of this is that the computer at my kit has a dead cd drive.

Dave is exciting to hear and watch, wish they would promote shows like his in the Boston area. Happy new year.

does any one here feels like doesnt understand his solos?

I feel the opposite. I find his solos tell a story and no matter how many times I listen to them I always here something new and musical. One of my favourite soloists.

but it blows my mind when people say he's unoriginal or boring!!!

Me too, Dave spawned many clones of his playing style. I can always pick out Dave's playing though, he has a unique sound and feel in his playing (the same way Virgil Donati does for me.)

"No punk rocker drummer can play these guys' parts, but all these guys can play punk rock."

Yeah Weckl could play the notes of a punk groove, but I doubt he could get the raw and gritty vibe down. IMO he's too polished to pull it off.

I attended Dave's master class at Drumtech (London) last week. I can tell you, that guy can lay down a fat rock groove. He's not all Jazz.

The lesson was a real eye opener. He's technique is fantastic - so loose and fluent.

He spoke about how and why his setup and technique has changed over the years and it seems to me that he's a lot more about feel and groove than before.

He also mentioned that during that day, he was checking out his videos on Youtube and reading the comments of others! So, Dave if you're reading... Great class. Respect!

I adore Dave Weckl...I love everything about his drum playing. He's such an inspiration. The main thing I like about him is that his playing and solos sounds absolutely mind-blowing, yet they are totally understandable and playable and they still have the groove...they just need a lot of practice...hours and hours of practice...

i love dave weckl, you can tell hes getting old though

i recently dug up a sabian dvd from a year or two ago. and man, its sad to see weckl age

hes amazing!

and he talks cool

if you see him with his band its just incredible the chemistry they have

amazing

wow, some of the negative comments about Weckl are real eye openers. Of course not everyone sees or hears things the same so I'm not surprised. I've seen Weckl numerous times and I think hes one of the best drummers out there now, at what he does. His technique is solid and he has superb control on the kit. His playing on the Latin style tunes is very good.
Someone said they didn't care for Weckl's work with Michel Camilo and prefer his current drummer. I've seen Camilo with Dafnis and Dafnis was great. Do I prefer Dafnis over Weckl?
Not really. Each brings something different to the table and it's basically a matter of what your taste is. Even if I didn't care for Weckl's music I'd still give him high marks for his abilities. Hard for me to find fault with his considerable abilities. If I did I'd be nitpicking.

I saw weckl in clinic last night in Falmouth, Maine and it was the most informative, educational clinic I've attended yet, much more so then, donati, bozzio, even Thomas Lang's. I learned a lot of new techniques I'd overlooked that I will be starting to work on, as well as ergonomic drum placement.

His chops were amazing, and he even demonstrated some Heavy rock grooves that were killer, to show a proper and improper way of pulling them off. If you get the chance, don't miss him.

Although after the show when he was signing autographs he seemd stressed.

Last edited:
For any of you guys that say "Weckl always overplays" check out the new Jeff Lorber CD He had a hat ....

Dave is puttin down some monster paradiddle grooves on a couple of songs and a latin groove on another....Hes really showing his other side and playing in the pocket....

Oh and Vinnie is on five tracks also with Abe Jr filling out the rest.....
Its a great CD by a real jazz fusion legend.....

Do you have a list of who plays on which song? I only downloaded the mp3s. Quite hard to distinguish who is who...

Cheers,
Tim

Have you listened to Weckls 'Master Plan' or 'Hard Wired' albums? These show musical, AND technical drumming. There is no way you can say Weckl isn't musical! If he wasn't he wouldn't be a successfull studio drummer, full stop. Much prefer Weckl as a technical drummer to Steve Smith, and I think his style is smoother and sometimes preferable to Vinnies when they go onto more technical stuff...

Master Plan and synergy are my 2 fave weckl cd's. Awesome stuff. And your absolutely correct If weckl wasn't a Musical player....he wouldn't be playing. He and Vinnie are huge influences for me. Not that i'd ever be worthy to even polish their drums, lol.

Did anyone go to the clinic in Hollywood Florida? I liked it, but I wish he would've played more and talked less. I also think he sounds better when his drums are tuned differently.

Yup was at the Weckle clinic in Hollywood Fla. I thought he did a great job. Gave some really good tips. I really liked the Sabian Evolutions. Funny thing is the new Sabian Evolutions HH don't sound any different to me then my current discontinued Sabian Flat hats!
Yamaha wnats a lot of green for the Phoenix series. Not so sure they are worth it. Don't get me wrong I play Yamaha.

The clinic would have been better if he had some backup players. If you ever have seen him with a band, he feeds off the members, and the exchanges are pretty creative. So from that perspective he was not in his glory the other night. All in all he still is one of the top players in my book!

I was there as well.
Hung out after wards at Jeffs place with Dave and the crew.

That kit isn't as much as Darrell said it was. About half that but...still high dollar.
Played it after and they do have an interesting sound. To me though....sounds like a drum! Haha.

Dave always knows what to do in each situation and I enjoyed the clinic.

I tell ya though....after playing and hanging at the MD fest all weekend...only to come home and do it another day.....I'm all drummed out!
Haha.

Cheers guys.
D.

Back