Remo Vintage A Question

Bull

Gold Member
I thinking about trying these for resos under my Vintage Emperors. Were the 70s Ambassadors still 2-ply?

No Ambassadors are/were two ply. To my knowledge Ambs have always been a one ply head.

That's what I've always thought but i got this from the Remo site.

"Vintage A the head that changed the world in 1957! Constructed of 2-ply 7.5- and 3-mil polyester film, this drumhead changed the art of drumming around the world as the first successful alternative to calf heads."

Wow, well you live and learn.....thanks men. I never knew that.

I'm still sure the 60's and 70's Ambassadors were just a single ply though....until someone else comes along and bursts my bubble again, that is.

I recently tried a Vintage Emperor over a Vintage A on a vintage Ludwig 14x14 floor tom. I didn't particularly like it, too boxy in a weird way.

Vintage Emperors over Standard Coated Ambassadors on the other hand sound really great.

Wow, well you live and learn.....thanks men. I never knew that.

I'm still sure the 60's and 70's Ambassadors were just a single ply though....until someone else comes along and bursts my bubble again, that is.

No thats accurate to the best of my knowledge. The Vintage A's use a 7mil and 3mil layer so its still 10mil but 2 ply

By 1976 they were definitely one-ply. Prior to that I couldn't say with certainty. But getting back back to the OP, I am not surprised by Mr L's experience. But it could be just the sound you are looking for!

Thanks for the replies. I'm currently using Vintage Emperors over Coated Ambassadors. I'm happy with them but just looking to experiment.

How about buying one head? That way it won't set you back too much. If you love the sound, you can always buy more. If not....swap it back out and keep the new head as a spare.

Cheers and/or +1 to this! :)

You MAY be a fan of the sound... sucks that a sound sample doesn't exist, though.

How about buying one head? That way it won't set you back too much. If you love the sound, you can always buy more. If not....swap it back out and keep the new head as a spare.

This is what I did. I liked the general sound of the Vintage A on my 16" floor tom so I went ahead and put them on all of the toms. Nice sound.

The only exception would possibly be my 10" tom. It sounds good but the sustain is a bit on the short side. Next time I'd maybe put a regular Ambassadaor on that one. The rest sound very good.

Back