Dave Grohl

drummercraig said:
i am with this man, he is a talented to be able to play all these instruments, but he plays them so poorly, his drumming is poor, in the songs he drums for, he uses no fills and nothing interesting, leaving the piece feeling empty. his guitaring is awful, i am in a band and 1 of my guitarists have been playing for about 1 year! not long, but he can play every single foo fighters song. so he has a gud voice but everything else he is crap at, happy arguing craig

Are you kidding me?

Have you heard the fills in 'No one knows' ?

You shouldn't be so negative about someone else's guitar playing. If Dave's playing is so crap, why does your guitarist even bother learning his riffs? Because Dave plays great, catchy riffs.

Think about your post next time.

Jalmar said:
I think it is quite descriptive, he has not specific signature style, no feeling in his playing and now that Nirvana exists no more, he nourishes himself on the former reputation as their drummer and when he started Foo Fighters, he decimated the whole image of himself because of the fact that the music they are bringing is tasteless and macabre.

And also, he tried a futile attempt to play for Queens of the Stonage and where did that lead him, nowhere.

Haha...You don't have a clue what you're talking about :)

He has never used Nirvana to help him forward in the music business. He made a brand new start with the Foo's, and a great start it was.

And his 'attempt' to play for the Queens wasn't futile, he did (and still does, i believe) play for them, on occasion.

Do some research next time.

lfdy said:
Haha...You don't have a clue what you're talking about :)

He has never used Nirvana to help him forward in the music business. He made a brand new start with the Foo's, and a great start it was.

And his 'attempt' to play for the Queens wasn't futile, he did (and still does, i believe) play for them, on occasion.

Do some research next time.

He was awesome with QOTSA! Who's this dude saying he was futile. As far as I'm concerned, he's done a better job with them than joey castillo does.

Dave Grohl was (and still is awesome). He is one of the most under rated drummers of our time. I've been influenced by his drummin' for a long time.

rendezvous_drummer said:
He was awesome with QOTSA! Who's this dude saying he was futile. As far as I'm concerned, he's done a better job with them than joey castillo does.

Yup, true.

I saw a live performance of the QOTSA with Dave, he was great...

Jalmar said:
I think it is quite descriptive, he has not specific signature style, no feeling in his playing and now that Nirvana exists no more, he nourishes himself on the former reputation as their drummer and when he started Foo Fighters, he decimated the whole image of himself because of the fact that the music they are bringing is tasteless and macabre.

And also, he tried a futile attempt to play for Queens of the Stonage and where did that lead him, nowhere.

For a drummer without a specific style he certainly has influenced quite a few drummers. I feel his drumming has changed many rock drummers approach to playing rock music currently. Where did Daves playing on Qotsa songs for the deaf lead him? Well first it brought an amazing rock band with a good approach to rock music to the forefront of mainstream music. I think the current state of rock needs a good kick in the butt, Qotsa is defintely a good start. Also playing on NIN's new record is quite an acheivement as well. There are a lot of drummers who are a lot less talented making more tasteless rock records than Dave.

Superlow said:
For a drummer without a specific style he certainly has influenced quite a few drummers. I feel his drumming has changed many rock drummers approach to playing rock music currently. Where did Daves playing on Qotsa songs for the deaf lead him? Well first it brought an amazing rock band with a good approach to rock music to the forefront of mainstream music. I think the current state of rock needs a good kick in the butt, Qotsa is defintely a good start. Also playing on NIN's new record is quite an acheivement as well. There are a lot of drummers who are a lot less talented making more tasteless rock records than Dave.

I see your point and I agree, but all I can say is that I do not like his style, that's all.

I like this dude! The groove of Smells Like Teen Spirit must be one of the most known. Everytime I try to hit the snare irregular, I always go back to that groove. Watched him playin' (or tryin' would fit there) Stairway to Heaven on guitar and he really messed the whole song up. When I first listend to Foo Fighters I thought he was the drummer. When I found out he wasn't, and he played guitar and sang on it, I was very impressed. It's nice too see him still gong strong after the tough years.

Zebbe said:
. Watched him playin' (or tryin' would fit there) Stairway to Heaven on guitar and he really messed the whole song up. When I first listend to Foo Fighters I thought he was the drummer. When I found out he wasn't, and he played guitar and sang on it, I was very impressed. It's nice too see him still gong strong after the tough years.

I think the messing up part was on purpose :)

for real, i used to look down on dave grohl cuz of nirvana, because me and my friends just didnt like nirvana, but after i listened to the D cd, and after i listened o queens of the stone age, it showed that he was really versatile and now im like wow--- hes good

The thing about Dave Grohl is that he played in a grunge rock band. Grunge rock is a simple style that requires simple beats and fills. He was a great grunge drummer in Nirvana (one of my favorite bands). He also played with Tenacious D (another one of my favorite bands). I have to say, I've never heard him solo or show off in any way. But that doesn't mean he can't. He has a solid sense of time and played well for the bands he was in. I like Dave Grohl's drumming but I love him for the rock image he is. I mean cmon, Nirvana? Foo Fighters? Tenacious D? I love them all.

rendezvous_drummer said:
WHY LORD! WHY DID FOO FIGHTERS BREAK UP! Grohl should go back to drums in a new band.

er... what the heck are you talking about? foo fighters are alive and well. they just put out a new album, a third single now has a video coming out, and they are touring in europe.

first i've heard of a break up. but i'm not very good at keeping my ear to the ground. nothing on their site, and i haven't heard of any conflict. i think they'll definately be having a small break after this tour. i know taylor will be doin coattail riders and i hope to see dave grohl drumming for a few other bands as usual. can't wait...

rendezvous_drummer said:
What??? A few friends of mine said they heard on the radio a few times that they are calling it quits after the "In your Honor" tour. Im feckin confused. And another thing, im not a cheap fan, not even sure wtf that is but yea i've been a fan of them since i first heard their music wanker

the foo fighters website doesn't say anything about this. i imagine this is something they'd announce, but i could be wrong.

I dont know if this has been said becasue i havent read every reply but, i like his drumming on Tenacious D's album, Dave recorded the drumming for Jack Black and Kyle Gass' band Tenacious D, which i am a fan of, i suggest check them out if you havent heard them.

Back