Lost drummers wanted

jspitza

Hello all!
There are(were?) two phenomenal drummers that, for the life of me can't remember their names. Back in 89' A very young drummer was performing a duel with Louie Bellson with the North Western Jazz Ensemble : Vern Spiegle or something similar? Also, back in the early nighties, a very popular big band jazz drummer, who always seemed to be playing with various artists on PBS. He was easy to remember mainly for two reasons: the first His playing-frightening and second- His girth. I mean this cat was huge yet so nimble. Any info as to their fate or current status is much appreciated! Thanks, Jeff

Got to say, that was beyond mighty impressive. Can you imagine the occasion intimidation, & how that would affect any player? Pulling that off faultlessly shows just how much depth there is lying in reserve.

When the roll down the rims was finished, all of my breath was taken out. It seems everyone in that room received a potent left hook.

That was seriously impressive!
Astonishing level of mastery of the instrument but also - what is at least as important - great taste in how to use them and how to respond to/interact with other musicians (of a similar caliber like Louie Bellson). What a gem.

That was the first time I saw roto-toms being utilized this way and I must say, that's damn cool. They do have their place.

Omg is that Cameron from Ferris Bueller's Day Off? jk lol

That guy is insanely good! Thanks for this! Absolutely amazing!

I believe the other drummer you may be looking for is Duffy Jackson. His main claim to fame was a stint with the Count Basie Orchestra.

Attachments

• Duffy Jackson Drum Solo with the Count Basie Orchestra.flv
    5.1 MB · Views: 118
I believe the other drummer you may be looking for is Duffy Jackson. His main claim to fame was a stint with the Count Basie Orchestra.

And what a true gentleman he is.... One night when they were in my town, my dad made his way to the bandstand before the band started and met him and then introduced me to Duffy. Duffy allowed me to sit on the stage right behind him the whole night. It was a moment I'll never forget.

His dad, by the way, is the famous bassist Chubby Jackson and is in the famous picture "Great Day in Harlem".

Amazing........a once in a lifetime experience........how many of us would kill to have a chance to "Battle" Mr Bellson like that...............I know I couldn't match that kid, but what a memory!

And what a true gentleman he is.... One night when they were in my town, my dad made his way to the bandstand before the band started and met him and then introduced me to Duffy. Duffy allowed me to sit on the stage right behind him the whole night. It was a moment I'll never forget.

His dad, by the way, is the famous bassist Chubby Jackson and is in the famous picture "Great Day in Harlem".

He is also an oustanding mallet player, bassist, & singer. I tried to upload these links earlier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH1tveSmeSA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvkluRXvCj8

THANK YOU ALL!
Yes, I think the mystery has been solved for me. currently on break inside my hotel room and will reply in greater detail once this airshow calms down a bit! Currently being buzzed by F-100 super sabre, three P-51 mustangs and a few Skyraiders. Oh and one Bell Huey!

Back