WE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!!

If my memory serves me, the Mayan calender does not account for leap years. Leap years were "made up" by Caesar around year 50 b.c. So logically, if the "end" of the Mayan calender really meant the "end" of the world, the world would have "ended" a couple of hundred years ago.

You mean:

Isn't an inappropriate religious comment on a thread? This is a secular forum. It is written in the rules. I'm not going around telling people that there is no God, although that is my personal conviction. To do so is damned rude, arrogant and demeans the intelligence of the other people here.

Zephyr, in terms of 'nonsense' I didn't mean his Christian beliefs, I meant the arrogance to assume that his view precedes all others. I'll admit that my wording was not exactly choice.

Secularism and Atheism are different things. Secularism prevents religion from influencing the agenda or laws of the body in which it is used, Atheism denies the existence of a deity.

My reply was multi-faceted because it also answers my opinion on the Mayan Calendar debate, but I hear what you are saying. I try to keep my spiritual beliefs off the forum and away from rehearsals.

the Meyans never actually said " end of the world" it's just simply the guy that printed the calender wasn't selling enough calenders, so he just stopped making them...simple as that!

All of you worried about what to wear on the big day can rest easy. turn off the media, do some research, and you''ll find that the Mayan made no prophecy of any kind. Below is a brief explanation of there calendar history and concept. I will see you all right here on the 22nd. Peace.

The Mayans were skilled mathematicians, and this shows in their calendar; besides having a concept of zero, they also had a firm grasp of modular arithmetic; they also worked extensively in base 20. However, despite their great skill at observing the heavens, their calendar has no relationship to lunar or seasonal cycles, and is only synchronized with the solar cycle year approximately. The Mayans were aware of this discrepancy; they simply didn't feel the compelling need to synchronize their calendar with the sun that Old World civilizations did.

The Mayans used three separate calendars. The Long Count was pricipally used for historical purposes, since it can define any date for millenia in the past and future. The Haab was a civil calendar based on a year of 360 days consisting of 18 periods of 20 days. Five days were added at the end of the Haab year to approximately synchronize it with the solar year. The Tzolkin calendar was used for ceremonial purposes, which had 20 periods of 13 days. The Tzolkin calendar went through a complete cycle every 260 days. The signficance of this cycle is unknown; it may be connected with the orbit of Venus, which has a period of 263 days. The Haab and Tzolkin dates did not have a year component; however, a combined Haab and Tzolkin date specify a unique day within a 52 year cycle.
There is a great deal of nonsense that has been written about the Mayan long count. It has been claimed (most egregiously, in a Discovery Channel TV series) that it will 'come to an end' in the near future, and along with it will arrive a Mayan apocalypse, a pole shift, earth change, cosmic convergence, whatever. Given the completely cyclic nature of the long count, this is an idiotic characterization. Once any given cycle ends, another begins, endlessly. The full long count is currently only at baktun 12; there are still 8 baktuns (or about three thousand years) before it turns over. The current Katun will increment about ten years from now (13.0.0.0.0 will be on December 21st, 2012). However, there is no reason that date should be any more cosmologically significant than the end of the common era millenium was!

For one thing, this is a theoretical reconstruction of the Mayan calendar, since it hasn't been in use for hundreds of years. The Mayan epoch shown above was hotly debated by archeologists for many decades. The date shown is a consensus date, originally proposed by J.E.S. Thompson, and supported by carbon dating and other methods. However, this particular date for the Mayan epoch could still be off by some amount, possibly by years. Thus any eschatological theories based on this calendar would have to be adjusted accordingly. This is similar to the Christian era, which may be off by several years since we don't have Jesus' birth certificate in hand; so any predictions of the end of the world based on when that calendar ticks over were just as absurd. Furthermore, the assumption that some occurance of the Christian millenium marks the expiration date of the Universe is based on base 10 math: the fact that the Mayans adopted a base 20 system shows how arbitrary this assumption is. And anyway, last time I checked, the date is now 2000 and counting, and the universe is still here...

If my memory serves me, the Mayan calender does not account for leap years. Leap years were "made up" by Caesar around year 50 b.c. So logically, if the "end" of the Mayan calender really meant the "end" of the world, the world would have "ended" a couple of hundred years ago.

What a great point. The thing that I am most interested in isn't the calendar, it's the galactic lining up of things in the universe. I don't have the facts but I do remember reading that there is some kind of strange phenomena where a whole bunch of heavenly bodies line up with each other on that date.

I paid my mortgage this month.

More:

December 21, 2012 merely indicates the end of a cycle that began on August 11, 3114 BC. While there are wild interpretations as to what this date means, and many holiday resorts are booked out on this day, there is no evidence from any Mayan literature suggesting that the world will come to an end.

It is simply the end of the current Long Count, and December 22, 2012 will be the beginning of the next Long Count, or cycle in the Mayan calendar. In fact, the Mayans have names for the Long Counts, and the fact that they've named Long Counts beyond this one suggests that this won't be the last. It is significant, however, that we are entering a new cycle in the Mayan calendar.

But in case you are still worried:

A more extensive version of this survival kit is the Deluxe 2-Person Perfect Survival Kit which includes:

A Backpack
2 person tube tent
24 pouches of water
24 200-calorie food bars
AM/FM radio
Compass
Waterproof matches
Flint (for starting fires)
Flashlight with lithium batteries
Multifunction utility knife
First aid kit
Headphones and rechargeable batteries
2 Light sticks
Whistle
16-Hour body warmer
Rope
Dust mask
Soap, toothbrush and toothpaste, tissues, moist wipes
Playing cards
Poncho
Work gloves

A more extensive version of this survival kit is the Deluxe 2-Person Perfect Survival Kit which includes:

A Backpack
2 person tube tent
24 pouches of water
24 200-calorie food bars
AM/FM radio
Compass
Waterproof matches
First aid kit
2 Light sticks
Whistle
16-Hour body warmer
Rope
Dust mask
Playing cards
Poncho
Work gloves

What?!? No drumsticks and a practice pad??? You cannot be serious!!!! Might as well use the rope...

One thing I've wondered ever since this doomsday thing came up, is how this rapture date will work. I mean, when the time is 00.00 on the 21st of December here in Stockholm, it's 18.00 on the 20th of December in New York, and probably around 12 on the 20th of December in California.

It is not possible for the whole world to be on the same date at the same time, considering that there are some places within the time zone -11 hours, and other places within the time zone +14 hours. Because of that, the whole world is never on the same date in the calender. So if the doomsday is the 21st of December in Stockholm, let's say at the time 00.00, New York will still be on the 20th of December, at 1800 hours.

I hope I made at least some sense.

The fire will start on the Greenwich line and travel around the globe.

One thing I've wondered ever since this doomsday thing came up, is how this rapture date will work. I mean, when the time is 00.00 on the 21st of December here in Stockholm, it's 18.00 on the 20th of December in New York, and probably around 12 on the 20th of December in California.

It is not possible for the whole world to be on the same date at the same time, considering that there are some places within the time zone -11 hours, and other places within the time zone +14 hours. Because of that, the whole world is never on the same date in the calender. So if the doomsday is the 21st of December in Stockholm, let's say at the time 00.00, New York will still be on the 20th of December, at 1800 hours.

I hope I made at least some sense.

There is no religious association with the Dec 21st Armageddon.

More:

December 21, 2012 merely indicates the end of a cycle that began on August 11, 3114 BC. While there are wild interpretations as to what this date means, and many holiday resorts are booked out on this day, there is no evidence from any Mayan literature suggesting that the world will come to an end.

It is simply the end of the current Long Count, and December 22, 2012 will be the beginning of the next Long Count, or cycle in the Mayan calendar. In fact, the Mayans have names for the Long Counts, and the fact that they've named Long Counts beyond this one suggests that this won't be the last. It is significant, however, that we are entering a new cycle in the Mayan calendar.

A Backpack
2 person tube tent
24 pouches of water
24 200-calorie food bars
AM/FM radio
Compass
Waterproof matches
First aid kit
2 Light sticks
Whistle
16-Hour body warmer
Rope
Dust mask
Playing cards
Poncho
Work gloves

This in and of itself is a great idea Mr.Mayor.But a certain degree of practical outdoor survival skills is also necessary to survive.

Given the widespread use GPS devices and mapquest,I doubt most people could find their ass with both hands and a flashlight.:)

Steve B

dang! i have a gig in wimbledon on that night. cool - if the world ends i'll be playing drums as it happens - good way to go!

j

ps: i hope the world ends - i personally can't wait for the next chapter and i think there are way more people leading horrible lives than those living a good exsistence. it is time for change. if aliens came i would one of the ones holding a welcome sign, if a mega tsunami was coming i would watch it from my roof top. what a rush.

pps: truly nothing is going to happen on the 21st except i'll play a blinding gig and then drag my tired butt home. my spiritual affairs are in order. i'm ready for the end but i beleive it will be on the 9th of june.

Well, that's only fifteen miles away. Obviously, I'm screwed.

You're snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory. Look at it this way, travel 20 miles and get well on the other side of the line. It should go in one direction, right?

Back