How to record through a MIDI Out port

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSEfan

My DD502 kit has a MIDI port that I havent used. I recently learned that you can use that port to plug up to a computer to record your playing (Yes, I know, I'm late). How would I go about doing that? What cables or software would I need? Can I record a video of the playing without sound and match it with the audio recording?

MIDI is just computer data going into your computer to record the performance. The actual sounds will be triggered by the data coming into the computer. Which means your computer will be providing the drum sounds (not the sounds from your sound module that came with your electronic kit). So a couple of things need to happen: you need to set up your computer to create the actual sounds you'll be playing, and you'll have to figure out what MIDI note number each of your pads is so you can tell the computer, "my bass drum pad is triggering MIDI note number 38, I want you, computer, to assign a bass drum sound in your library to react only to MIDI note number trigger 38".

You can see why not alot of people do this anymore ;)

Bo's spot on the money.

MIDI really comes into its own as a control system. I use a sequencer that has hardware control, with OSC data triggering the sound samples and MIDI (with another piece of hardware) controlling other 'control' parameters like tempo, time signature and on/off. I love custom software.

Yikes. Thanks for the explanation. I'm no sound engineer so no messing with the MIDI for me. I took a different aproach. I took a double-male 3.5mm cable and plugged it into the headphone adapters slot in my drum module. The other end went into a split adapter with 2 female ends and one male end. I used the other slot to plug my headphones in so I can hear what I'm playing. The male end of the split adapter went into the microphone port of my labtop. I downloaded a free recording and mixing program called Audacity. Very nice program. I was able to configure it and record my drums straight from the brain this way. I took some time to mess with the volume levels for each piece of my kit. They were all set to my likings for when I play, but when I listen to it through the software, certain pieces overpower others. With that said and done, I'm gonna start recording and doing covers now. Thanks for the advice.

I'm not familiar with your sound module - so you only have stereo outputs? It'd be nice if you had several outputs so you could assign each sound to it's own specific output. I noticed that my Roland TD-10 only had stereo outs too. Not good for a recording situation where you want individual control of each sound in the mix-down phase.

I may be describing it wrong and confusing you. I'm not really extremely techy when it comes to this stuff. I have a MIDI out port, 9 inputs (1 for each piece of the kit), the 2 R/L Mono output slots, an Aux. In port (I plug my mp3 player into this), the power cable slot and the headphone output jack. I'll put a picture of the back where all the ports are. Sorry for the oversized picture. Trying to do this from my phone.

Attachments

• osp_dd502_Alt5.jpg
    osp_dd502_Alt5.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 875
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back