TAMA Speed Cobra

redsky20

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyones tried out the Tama Speed Cobra? As far as i know its relatively new so I've not heard much about it from other drummers yet, but has anyone tried out this pedal? If so what do you think? I think it looks pretty cool and considering it's TAMA probably pretty sturdy too!

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyones tried out the Tama Speed Cobra? As far as i know its relatively new so I've not heard much about it from other drummers yet, but has anyone tried out this pedal? If so what do you think? I think it looks pretty cool and considering it's TAMA probably pretty sturdy too!

I tried it out and from what I can tell it's my next pedal. The longboards are pretty sweet for me because I'm trying to start heel-toe technique while not going for an axis or trick pedal. Without the cobra coil or springs tightened, its about as smooth as the pearl eliminators. I personally love it. But like the other guys said, there are already a few threads about this subject.

I tried it. It was the most incredible pedal I've played yet. Very smooth... I'm most likely going to buy one..

I tried one of these today at the local GC. I loved it. I'm selling my DW 5002 to get one. This thing was made for people with big long feet like me. No more heel hanging off the foot board. And I can actually pull off heel-toe with it with my shoes on! I konw it sounds silly but with standard chain drive pedals its tough for me to do unless I'm in my socks or barefoot.

A lot of people online complain, saying that it looks cheap. I can assure you it's built just as or more solid than any other tama/dw/pear pedal. Don't let the lack of matte black hardware fool you.

I tried it out, and it didn't strike me as anything special, I don't much care for "regular" iron cobras either, so that may have something to do with it. The springs just seem too tight, even after adjusting them.

Just picked one up yesterday. Finally sat down and played it some today. It is flippin sweet.

Super fast and smooth...but also...quite powerful.

Whoever said it looks "cheap" is entitled to that opinion, but I think it looks rather classy. The build quality is also top notch and the lack of texture on the playing surface of the footboard is a godsend for doubles.

Just picked one up yesterday. Finally sat down and played it some today. It is flippin sweet.

Super fast and smooth...but also...quite powerful.

Whoever said it looks "cheap" is entitled to that opinion, but I think it looks rather classy. The build quality is also top notch and the lack of texture on the playing surface of the footboard is a godsend for doubles.

That sounds like what I'm looking for... if it's significantly lighter than the Iron Cobras, which I have, it should be perfect.

That sounds like what I'm looking for... if it's significantly lighter than the Iron Cobras, which I have, it should be perfect.

I think you'll find that it is. Definitely go try it out. It is a "different" pedal in some ways, but for me so far...it is a perfect fit.

I tried one of these out at Guitar Center and I loved it to death. Don't like the beater much though. A minor issue.

I've been using mine for about two weeks now. I don't know if I can ever go back to my DW 5000. The long foot board just fits my foot so well. I even like the beater. It's nice and punchy and responsive when compared to a regular iron cobra beater.

I really think that Tama is on to something here. I mean, if you think about it, most pedals aren't really made for anyone with a shoe size larger than a men's 10. The speed cobra accommodates man feet like no other chain drive pedal. I won't be suprised to see other companies follow suit on this.

Solid build and smooth as butter. I can actually pull off heal toe doubles on this pedal with out having to slam my heal onto the bass heel plate. My heel can stay on the board and the doubles just roll off.

So, would the consensus be that if you have small feet you won't find the new Cobra any good? I wear a size 5.5 shoe and have no problem heel-and-toe-ing with my Iron Cobra Jr. (or any other standard pedal for that matter). So I suppose it would have to feel significantly better for people with small feet?

So, would the consensus be that if you have small feet you won't find the new Cobra any good? I wear a size 5.5 shoe and have no problem heel-and-toe-ing with my Iron Cobra Jr. (or any other standard pedal for that matter). So I suppose it would have to feel significantly better for people with small feet?

I would say that is correct. Prolly not much of a sale for someone with small feet.

Dang it! I keep trying to find a replacement for my Iron Cobra Jr......oh well.... ;)

I'm working with a size nine and it feels fine. The way it seems to me is that the bigger board gives you a larger sweet spot to work with on the pedal. My foot doesn't take up the whole footboard, but I only play the damn thing from 1/3 of the way back most of the time anyways. If you want to feather, you can advance your foot. It's not like it will be slower for smaller feet.

I said it before, and I'll say it again...go try one...you just might like it.

Why not make the double break into 2 singles? This would be my next pedal if it did that... Guess I'll be sticking with my 9310 flying dragon a little longer

Back