Charity Gig...

SquadLeader

Gold Member
If anyone has any good advice or useful pointers or even warnings on this subject, then they would be gratefully received.

I'll try cut the story as short as possible

Bass player in our band (Steve) is a Police Constable. Last summer two young female officers, colleagues of our Steve, were gunned down and killed on the outskirts of Manchester. Sadly Steve is part of the First Response Unit. I'm sure I need say no more.

We've formulated an idea to run an unsigned band event, a mini festival if you will. We're thinking, 'Copfest' or '999fest' or some such but this is early stages. Just, essentially, a chance for us and some other bands, and hopefully a good audience, to come together and say, "hey girls, thanks for your service, you won't be forgotten".

We believe we have the venue onside (a very respected live music venue near where the PC's worked) and that we may be able to secure it for free, hopefully including the door men, sound engineer, etc. The one stipulation we're trying to push for is that EVERYONE works for free.

We've managed to already round up four bands who will play. We'd like to get a couple more on board.

Our Steve is in discussion with Greater Manchester Police to check that we're not going to cause any problems, and also to hopefully invite the families of the constables who died along. Obviously this all needs to be played very carefully. We don't want them to think that we're trying to gain ANYTHING from the deaths of their loved ones.

We want all proceeds from the event to go to their nominated charities.

What kind of things should we be mindful of and/or watch out for, when organising this?

We're trying to solve the problem of fans coming to see their band alone, either arriving later or disappearing after. I've had an idea on this, but I'm not sure if it flies. I'm thinking that we draw the performers out of a hat so order of play is completely random. Still doesn't stopping people buggering off after they've seen their band, but then if the place has sold out, I guess it's sold out.

In terms of sound checks I'm thinking one drum kit set up and sound checked. Each band to bring their own cymbals, snare, bass pedal, guitars etc but each band has ONE HOUR to do whatever pre-gig sound check they need to, and then to play their set.

It is these band/music-related considerations that we are dilemming over...

We'd like to ideally get some local, or maybe even national, press coverage. We believe that we can get the full show broadcast on local radio which would be just great. And hopefully make an absolute packet for a worthy cause.

Any comments and/or ideas, thoughts, ANYTHING, gratefully welcomed

Copfest? 999fest? It sounds like the most unappealing gig ever.

That aside, the problem of people buggering off comes, I think, from people lumping bands together that don't fit. You'll not stop some people from only coming to see their mates play or their favourite band, but you stand a chance if they are likely to be attracted to the other bands cos they somehow fit with the band they know. Also it depends on the type of audience - some are just more receptive to new music than others, and that depends on the venue.

I will soon be playing in concerts for Sandy Hook so I know where you are coming from.
The Newtown Arts Commission has had these same discussions while organizing events.

It seems that you are on the right track with how you are organizing your concert.
Most people will stay for all of the bands. They paid for their ticket and they want to see the show.
It should all work out.

Copfest? 999fest? It sounds like the most unappealing gig ever.

I know...it's an odd one. Who'd want to go to a police charity event anyway?? lol
These girls were well thought of and the events absolutely rocked the local area to the foundations. We're just trying (perhaps too hard) to paint a slightly different picture of the police...human beings under the uniforms and all that.

We'll have a decent name for it in the end...don't want it to be too highbrow.

In terms of bands...what you're suggesting is not to get too eclectic a mix then??

We were looking at going the other way...we have a ska band, a couple of pop-punk bands. Was thinking of going for a heavy rock band. And bizarrely we know The Matchstick Men so are hoping we can persuade them to play...

You think it would be better to get bands together who are more closely aligned stylewise...interesting take on things that. And I can see where you are coming from

I'm thinking not necessarily aligned stylewise. More that there's something about all the acts that's going to appeal to the type of audience you expect, if you see what I mean.

I've played at a few different Cancer benefits over the last 4 or 5 years, and they have had 1/2 hour between bands/acts.
Usually it's one drum kit, bring your cymbals, snare, sticks, anything extra you need aside from the "X" amount of stands, and basic kit provided etc... I supplied the kit a couple times too, and everyone has been cool.

You seem on the right track, but, pulling the bands out of a hat for set times....not sure how realistic it is, unless all bands agree to arrive at a specific time. Then it's more likely they'd leave right after they play if they had been there for a long time already.

However, if they have a specific time slot given, they'll know when to get there (at least 1 hour before they are to set up on stage), & their people know when to get there too--which will usually be about an 1/2 hour/hour before "their band" plays, so you have them for at least a couple hours, maybe more.
Some will stay for other bands, some won't, but everyone is paying to get in, so it doesn't make that much difference in the big picture of what it's all for, & the donations are still coming in for the support of the charity.

I'm playing a benefit on April 20th, and we play last. Not the best slot to have at a "benefit", but, it's at a nice rock venue, and we can draw in some people ourselves, so it'll be more like playing a regular show.
This time it worked out that the bands are all using their own gear (so it's really like a regular show).
I did separate flyers/posters for our band (others are doing it too), aside from the actual benefit organizers promotion we are on, to try and draw as many people as possible to the event.

You may consider asking the bands you book to do flyers, facebook postings, etc... to get the word out as much as possible for the event.

At the events I've played at, it's usually steadily "full" the whole time, as people come and go.
They did learn it was better to start at 4 or 5pm, and not 2 in the afternoon. Too early a start, and everyone gets burnt out by 10 or 11, and there are still hours to go...

One idea that has worked nicely though, is if the place serves food, they do a donation of 10% on food sold to the charity. They set up specific menu items for that day, 2-4 choices, and 10% goes to the charity.
Just be sure to tell everyone quite a few times they are doing it during your event to keep them happy!

Good luck!

I've played at a few different Cancer benefits over the last 4 or 5 years, and they have had 1/2 hour between bands/acts.
Usually it's one drum kit, bring your cymbals, snare, sticks, anything extra you need aside from the "X" amount of stands, and basic kit provided etc... I supplied the kit a couple times too, and everyone has been cool.

You seem on the right track, but, pulling the bands out of a hat for set times....not sure how realistic it is, unless all bands agree to arrive at a specific time. Then it's more likely they'd leave right after they play if they had been there for a long time already.

However, if they have a specific time slot given, they'll know when to get there (at least 1 hour before they are to set up on stage), & their people know when to get there too--which will usually be about an 1/2 hour/hour before "their band" plays, so you have them for at least a couple hours, maybe more.
Some will stay for other bands, some won't, but everyone is paying to get in, so it doesn't make that much difference in the big picture of what it's all for, & the donations are still coming in for the support of the charity.

I'm playing a benefit on April 20th, and we play last. Not the best slot to have at a "benefit", but, it's at a nice rock venue, and we can draw in some people ourselves, so it'll be more like playing a regular show.
This time it worked out that the bands are all using their own gear (so it's really like a regular show).
I did separate flyers/posters for our band (others are doing it too), aside from the actual benefit organizers promotion we are on, to try and draw as many people as possible to the event.

You may consider asking the bands you book to do flyers, facebook postings, etc... to get the word out as much as possible for the event.

At the events I've played at, it's usually steadily "full" the whole time, as people come and go.
They did learn it was better to start at 4 or 5pm, and not 2 in the afternoon. Too early a start, and everyone gets burnt out by 10 or 11, and there are still hours to go...

One idea that has worked nicely though, is if the place serves food, they do a donation of 10% on food sold to the charity. They set up specific menu items for that day, 2-4 choices, and 10% goes to the charity.
Just be sure to tell everyone quite a few times they are doing it during your event to keep them happy!

Good luck!

Really great advice thanks which we'll definitely take on board.
We're quietly confident that we can get a reasonably large local catering company to 'sponsor' the event by supplying food for free...they'll get some good exposure including an honourable mention on the posters which we're going to flood the area with.
We're quite excited about it all...came from a kernel and it's really beginning to take shape.

Another way in which we thought to try to resolve the band followings dilemma is to obtain the agreement from the venue to discount beer when inside the live music section of it.
So, for example, the ticket price is £10 to get in but then anyone in has a pound knocked off a pint of beer for example...or gets drinks at half price....so they're basically getting their entertainment for free in a way and it hopefully will keep them in and 'persuade' them to make a night of it at the venue.

The venue would hopefully be happy with this as they're likely to do really well out of the event anyway...and they'd also be down as 'sponsors' to.

And it's a real ale pub/venue...so it has that quirky edge about it to.

Now...we just need to try find a local famous musician who would open the event....for free of course :)

The only thing that I'd add is to make sure someone has those random spare drum parts (heads, beaters/felts, strainer etc...). I've been involved in multiple band set-ups using a single kit in the past, and had to watch two guys play on a duct-taped snare head...

Other than that, I say good-on-ya, and good luck!

As has already been alluded to if the event is billed as a tribute to two local individuals who were known and loved in the community rather than what job they happened to do then it will lessen any potential prejudice (think dickheads who might want to cause trouble in and outside the venue).

Other than that, as far as the show itself goes - why not include other types of act in order to appeal to a broader selection of said community? I'm thinking stand-up comics, dance companies, stage hypnotists etc. I'm betting each of these people had a nan or two and you might want to put something on for that crowd (if you get my meaning). In fact, if the victims' families know any local acts that they particularly like then why not approach them?

Best of luck . . .

Back