grip tape suggestions

After a long run without using it i feel like i may need to start using it, any suggestion for tape that doesnt tear the living crap out of your hands?

I cant use anything but bare sticks, if I use any of the wraps, rubber dipped, painted or varnished sticks they grip the skin on my fingers and cause blisters.

You could try tennis racquet overgrips. They are about a dollar a piece, which if you cut it in two is enough for a pair of sticks. I've never used in on sticks, but I use it on my tennis racquets. They are very soft, comfortable, and absorbent.

i tried ahead grip tape before it gave my hand worse blisters than without any grip tape. maybe ill try the tennis stuff thanx for the idea.

You could try tennis racquet overgrips. They are about a dollar a piece, which if you cut it in two is enough for a pair of sticks. I've never used in on sticks, but I use it on my tennis racquets. They are very soft, comfortable, and absorbent.

What I use I think is called Tourna Grip tape for tennis rackets. Very good price and I believe I did wrap 2 sticks with 1 roll. As mentioned, very soft and comfortable.
What's cool is that after you wrap them diagonally, they create ridges along the stick that really prevent slipping.

I tried the Regal tip sticks as well. Nice, but no ridges to stop the slipping.

After a long run without using it i feel like i may need to start using it, any suggestion for tape that doesnt tear the living crap out of your hands?
My favourite grip enhancer is Vic Firth's Vic Grip coating. If you like Vic Firth sticks, I highly recommend checking to see if they offer your favourite stick in a Vic Grip version.

Word of warning though: If you find yourself liking it, you will get completely addicted to it. I now find myself really disliking playing with bare sticks.

I cant use anything but bare sticks, if I use any of the wraps, rubber dipped, painted or varnished sticks they grip the skin on my fingers and cause blisters.
I'm the other way around. Bare sticks cause me to grip too tightly because they feel like they're constantly slipping away. Grip enhancers have really allowed me to relax my grip.

thanx for the info, i used to use exclusively vic firth stick but im kinda up in the air with different brands right now, i find it difficult to settle on one model or brand but thats a completely different thread all together haha.

Tournagrip is probably the thinnest overgrip you can buy, and is a good place to start. In addition, there are different textures: tacky, grooved, and super-absorbent. They come is lots of colors too. Check out the variety from this page from Tennis Warehouse: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/overgrips.html

True - it is not that thick and wears at the point of the fulcrum or where the fingers grab it.

What do you suggest for a thicker, more durable wrap?

Last edited:
What I use I think is called Tourna Grip tape for tennis rackets. Very good price and I believe I did wrap 2 sticks with 1 roll. As mentioned, very soft and comfortable.
What's cool is that after you wrap them diagonally, they create ridges along the stick that really prevent slipping.

I tried the Regal tip sticks as well. Nice, but no ridges to stop the slipping.

I used to use that, worked good

I used hockey tape for a while, now I just put a square of it over the butt of the stick, then one wrap around the bottom, so if my stick starts to slide out of my hand, the slight increase in diameter and friction from the tape grabs my hand and keeps the stick from flying across the room.

Absolutely man! Those yellow dipped signature Zildjian sticks destroyed my hands and I had to wait a week or more before I could start playing again and no it wasn't technique or how I held them. The friction against my fingers just burned them right up lol!

I used hockey tape for a while, now I just put a square of it over the butt of the stick, then one wrap around the bottom, so if my stick starts to slide out of my hand, the slight increase in diameter and friction from the tape grabs my hand and keeps the stick from flying across the room.

I like this approach, as I'm not entirely happy with any wrap or dip I've tried. The Ahead wraps work great but they fatten the stick a little too much for me, and I'd like a cheaper solution. I'll try this, thanks! I'm going to pick up some Tourna grip on the way home tonight...that might work.

Absolutely man! Those yellow dipped signature Zildjian sticks destroyed my hands and I had to wait a week or more before I could start playing again and no it wasn't technique or how I held them. The friction against my fingers just burned them right up lol!

Some of us grip tighter than others - not that one is right or wrong, or better than the other. It just shows how individualistic we are, as people and musicians. For me, the dip coating isn't tacky *enough*, and the sticks end up sliding right out of my hands. I think the Vic Firth dip is less grippy than a bare stick!

Some of us grip tighter than others - not that one is right or wrong, or better than the other. It just shows how individualistic we are, as people and musicians. For me, the dip coating isn't tacky *enough*, and the sticks end up sliding right out of my hands. I think the Vic Firth dip is less grippy than a bare stick!

Very true and good point zambizzi. :)

Back