Good nutrition ideas?

Wow - you guys are making me look bad. I try to stay away from really fatty foods, but almost everything you buy today is processed. I don't know how people have time to make such healthy food like salads for lunch or juicing, let alone organic stuff.

Organic is worth it long term, but organic means a lot of things. The ultimate would be fresh, local and wirl crafted.

To make a home made diet work, you just have to learn to plan things ahead. I don't really use more time than most people who live on frozen pizzas, which is my country's nww national dish. I probably use less, since those people plan so little that they have to go to the store to buy one frozen pizza at a time.

Chopping off some veggies for a salad takes 2 minutes. Have things ready and have your kitchen set up so that it really works for you. Get rid of everything that's not in use and let everything that you need regularly have it's own place, where it can be used as is on the bench. You can prepare many things ahead just like e.g. marinating a piece of meat which I just do before I go to bed along with making my breakfast ready so it can soak up all the goodnes over night in the fridge. Or maybe do it if you have some extra time while making today's dinner. Make enough to have leftovers and have a plan to use them.

My smoothies which are my lunch tale litterarly 1 minute. I have the fluid base ready in the fridge. I have the dry ingredients already combined in one bowl and then just throw in whatever else I feel like. Ready to run out the door. I could also bring it with me in the morning or just do it at work.

Anything on a stove or an owen does pretty well on it's own. So just set a timer and continue with whatever needs to be done.

Both your health and also your bankaccount will thank you. Offcourse the save can be spent on fancier foods. Planning also helps so that you don't throw any food away. After observing a lot of modern people, including my own family it appears that the biggest mouth they are feeding is the trash can. It's like there's a whole other family living in there, which means they are spending easily twice as much as they should on the food they are eating because they don't plan.

People used to be really good at this during bad economic times. Imagine what could be done today. With the same amount of planning you can eat like a king every day, kep it healthy and add small amounts of tonic medicinal herbs from all over the world, previously reserved to emperors and those few in the know, for pretty cheap, and with the internet and international mail service it really doesn't matter where you live.

If you ask around I'm also sure, there are local people that produce stuff you can make use of at extremely low straight from the farm prices. Offcourse, all the plants in the forest are free and as fresh as it gets.

The only stuff I take daily (I'm only 20, but was a nutrition major in college for a while) is...

Fish Oil (Omega-3)

Your basic multi-vitamin

Melatonin- At night... it helps me sleep, and has been shown to be beneficial in many ways

DMAE- an alternative ADD medication. It's all natural, doesn't crack you out, and makes me feel sharper than ever before. It's also been shown to reduce aging if you take it for many years, decrease cancer, and many other things.

Superfoods- ie. blueberries, broccoli, tomatoes, spinach, celery (just google superfoods).

Pickles- I love pickles especially after a long drumming sesh (even though I'm skinny, I sweat like a pig). They replenish sodium levels, and can reduce cramping.

Water Water Water!- I can't stress that one enough. It's amazing to realize the change in energy and sense of well being that you have when you're hydrated.

If you are average, I would suggest eating less...wouldnt suggest this to anyone at a low BMI of course...there is research showing increased logevity at sub 900 calorie intake levels...hard to do as an active drummer...but can be adjusted accordingly.

Vitamins are far more helpful than most realize...just stay away from mega dosing.

Drink water...being careful not to go bonkers and wash out all electrolytes.

...and, though not exactly the topic....exercise.

From there on out, follow your intellect when buying food...not your palete.

...and never take health advice without consulting your doctor about it first...

Don´t eat junk food. Don´t eat at McDonalds!

On that note if you have Netflix or other provider and can get your hands on a movie called Fathead, I would suggest you watch it. You will scratch your head thinking you knew nutrition.

Last edited:
"It's [organic food] a bunch of bull," he said. "How do you know what's really organic? Today, there's all these impurities in the water and the air. The water for the fruits and vegetables has junk in it. If you get enough vitamins and minerals out of normal food and whole grains, and you get enough proteins and exercise (that's the key), then nature builds up a tolerance to all of these things. It's survival of the fittest. You can't have everything perfect, that's impossible, but the fit survive."

Jack Lalanne

I was surprised JL said that. I've tried the organic cigarettes. I was trying to impress my vegan friends by going natural. I couldn't hear their comments because of the wheezing and coughing though. I told them they should take better care of themselves. Bada Bing!

Maybe go macrobiotic if you don't mind hideous, unidentifiable food. I went to the local macrobiotic restaurant with a friend, having no idea of what I was in for. Some nights they would have a speaker to talk while you were gagging. Our speaker of the nights subject? His 'problem' of compulsive masturbation. I wish someone could have gotten a picture of my face as that presentation unfolded. The restaurant and the setting it was in were awesome though.
http://www.casadeluz.org/austin/

"The automobile, while wonderful, has proven to destroy well being." ...these are not people that I would ever want to know.

Little healthy dietary changes will make big improvements over the long term such as adding a couple extra fruits and vegetables to your daily diet. For example, a few carrots and an apple every day will have enormous effects over the long run.

Glucosamine and Chondroitin has helped may with joint and ligament problems.

GJS

I was surprised JL said that. I've tried the organic cigarettes. I was trying to impress my vegan friends by going natural. I couldn't hear their comments because of the wheezing and coughing though. I told them they should take better care of themselves. Bada Bing!

Ha ha.

Yes, I actually like them better. They are 100% additive free and the farming practices have less impact on the environment by using sustainable agricultural practices. I grew up on organic food and my ex insisted on it. Nowadays I'm not so adamant about because I don't make a lot of money anymore.

"It's [organic food] a bunch of bull," he said. "How do you know what's really organic? Today, there's all these impurities in the water and the air. The water for the fruits and vegetables has junk in it. If you get enough vitamins and minerals out of normal food and whole grains, and you get enough proteins and exercise (that's the key), then nature builds up a tolerance to all of these things. It's survival of the fittest. You can't have everything perfect, that's impossible, but the fit survive."

Jack Lalanne

I reckon Jack's being intellectually lazy. How do you know? You don't. How do you know they don't put dog gizzards in McDonalds burgers? You don't.

You hope they play fair. You figure they won't want to risk getting put out of business, but you don't know.

Maybe they are adding some Intestine a la Canine but they pay off someone important so they'll never get caught?

Maybe the CEO figures that he'll be in Rio with the loot by the time they find out about Des Liver D'Labrador?

We don't know - but we trust. Same with organic. I think it's important to eat healthily with lots of fruit and veggies (organic or whatever) when you are maintaining a suite of enjoyably unhealthy habits ...

I switched to organic cigarettes. Do you think that'll help?

Hah! How do you know they're organic?? They might have been rolled with the husked shells of the tobacco beetles that ate the crop due to lack of pesticides ... some of those new cheapo Chinese brands taste like it!

Hah! How do you know they're organic?? They might have been rolled with the husked shells of the tobacco beetles that ate the crop due to lack of pesticides ... some of those new cheapo Chinese brands taste like it!

A company has to be certified as an organic grower. But really the good stuff comes from the local farmer's markets that are set-up on the weekends here and there in various cities.

They have a brand here called American Spirit that's pretty good. The company is from New Mexico. Not sure where their tobacco is grown, maybe Nicaragua. Who knows?

I don't know about food, but I can tell you: Do a lot of excercise.

I eat every kind of food, but I play football soccer at least two times a week or you can go out and run in a park near your place. Running is very healthy

I'm 27 years old and I'm a thin person, and some many people thinks I'm 23, because I don't drink alcohol, and I don't take drugs, I don't smoke much. I eat every kind of foog and I do excercise.

And don't forget to practice drums at least two hours a day.

If you’re in a good health then don’t worry about your weight because I’m also thin but I’m healthier than my fat friends So I’m quite alright about that matter. I like your daily routine continue doing exercise, eat nutritious foods and try to quit smoking forever.

I've found that living in Germany I'm eating much healthier than when I was living in the U.S.. It's much easier to stay off the junk food when the idea of it isn't being crammed down your throat constantly.

I'm not a vegetarian or anything, but I watch what I eat. I like, if I can, to eat a nice pasta dinner a few hours before playing. I feel like it helps me have the energy to get to the end of the set.
I don't like the energy drinks. Also, I don't drink alcohol at all when on tour or during shows. Not any reason outside of not wanting to feel sluggy while on the road or the next day. Also, to me, a drummer is like a bus driver. Everybody else is along for the ride. Wouldn't want a drunk bus driver. The whole thing could end up in a ditch somewhere.
After a show I'll try to eat a banana and drink water and try to get to bed at a reasonable hour.

Back