Vintage 14x22 - batter

F

fusssion

Hey all,....

Going to switch up my bass drum head. I was using a SKII on my kick, but since switching that head to my 14x22 1969 Ludwig kick, ...it's too dead/muffled.

Chris Brady said SKI hands down, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experimented with a 14x22 Ludwig kick and Aquarian bass batters (other than the SK) and,...what your findings/thoughts are??

Thanks !!!

Any and all suggestions welcome!

What type of sound are you after for that kick?

Karl, hey,....just more open and toned than the "thud" I'm getting from the SK2.

Granted, on a deeper kick, the SK2 is sweet,....so.....just looking to open it up

Evans EQ1 might be what you are looking for. It's a single ply with dry vents and a removable ring inside. A bit drier than a Powerstroke head. I had one for a jazzy sound on a 26x16, so I'm sure it can be plenty open on a 22".

Evans EQ1 might be what you are looking for. It's a single ply with dry vents and a removable ring inside. A bit drier than a Powerstroke head. I had one for a jazzy sound on a 26x16, so I'm sure it can be plenty open on a 22".

Definately don't want dry though....

but I'm wondering if anyone else has experimented with a 14x22 Ludwig kick and Aquarian bass batters
Any and all suggestions welcome!

Does it have to be Aquarian? I have no experience with them. But if not I'd suggest PS3's. Enough dampening to control overtones, but still enough boom. Or you could go for the traditional sound and use coated emperors with a felt stip for dampening.......sounds great on vintage kits.

Does it have to be Aquarian? I have no experience with them. But if not I'd suggest PS3's. Enough dampening to control overtones, but still enough boom. Or you could go for the traditional sound and use coated emperors with a felt stip for dampening.......sounds great on vintage kits.

Often wondered about the PS3's .....

No, I guess it does not have to be Aquarian, ...I'm just very happy with them right now...quality and cust. svc are second to none.....

I saw a guy in a cover band with 60's Ludwigs, and he was using an SK 1. It sounded really good, so I don't think it would be a bad choice. The problem with the 2 ply ones is that they need to be cranked up pretty high to get out of that thud range. But, on a 22 you can't really crank the batter up too high without it getting too high pitched. These work great on 24's where you can crank them up more and get some good tone.

I'd recommend the SKI too. I use only Aquarian heads because I love their quality and customer service too. I've called them a few times for assistance and Roy Burns has personally helped me twice.
It sounds like you have contacted them too since you said Mr. Brady told you to go with the SKI. He knows his drumheads... I use that head and it sounds awesome; just the right amount of attack and sustain. Or maybe check out the American/Modern Vintage series depending upon how 'vintage' you are trying to go with your sound. I've only used those on my snare so I can't tell you what they do on a kick, but they hold up well and sound great on the snare. Check them out.

Back