Fill-ins with bass drum technique. Book suggestions

BramVanroy

As the title says, I am looking for books and exercises that help me mix my bassdrum better in my fill-ins. Looking for Aaron Spears kinda stuff.

Can anyone give book suggestions? I have been drumming (educationally) for more than ten years, so it rather advanced books should be fine, I have some time on my hands for practice.

Gary Chaffee Linear Time playing is basically the bible to all those cats

that and Sticking Patterns

Mike Johnston also has a good book called Linear Drumming

all pretty much the same stuff with some different applications

but all of those type players I have ever spoken to .......Aaron Spears, Eric Moore, and Marvin Mcquitty included.....all swear by Chaffees books and listening to Vinnie Colaiuta

also check Damani Rhodes youtube channel ...great stuff here

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF09tYYN8LCU3EzRN5uDZAg

was going to say Gary Chaffee as well ! i am actually re-working those "old" patterns now. complete "gospel chops" fills if you treat these as 32nds at 100 bmp. some 8 & 4 patterns but most are odd groupings & they sound great / interesting at speed. or even as eighths / groove fills that sound musical / not pedestrian.

stuff like hand/foot combos in:
8 | 3 | 5
4 | 3 | 5 | 4
5 | 5 | 6

but i believe about 8 or more pages worth. i am really enjoying just flowing thru them w/ eighth note hi hat on LF.

was going to say Gary Chaffee as well ! i am actually re-working those "old" patterns now. complete "gospel chops" fills if you treat these as 32nds at 100 bmp. some 8 & 4 patterns but most are odd groupings & they sound great / interesting at speed. or even as eighths / groove fills that sound musical / not pedestrian.

stuff like hand/foot combos in:
8 | 3 | 5
4 | 3 | 5 | 4
5 | 5 | 6

but i believe about 8 or more pages worth. i am really enjoying just flowing thru them w/ eighth note hi hat on LF.

absolutely

another one that all those guys use is

3 hands 1 foot 3 hands 2 foot pattern

9 notes long played in a measure of sextuplets

24 notes so thats 2 sets of 9 and a remainder of 6 which works out perfectly to a measure

looking like

RLRFRL RFFRLR FRLRFF RLRFRL 1

alternating the 3 note hand groupings between snare and closed hi hat

really common lick that all these guys use and sounds great voiced anywhere

Definitely Chaffee's Patterns books - especially Technique and Time Functioning Patterns... Those two books will more than get you going...

All good suggestions from everyone but maybe try this approach as well.

I've been trying to develop this myself but I want it to flow from me instead of coming from patterns. Obviously we need patterns and formulas to start but eventually it needs to be natural.

So pick a subdivision -16th is good to start with

Pick a tempo

Now improvise using the following restrictions.

No hand doubles
Maximum 2 kick notes after one another.

Stick on a timer and play for 10 minutes doing this.

To me guys like aaron spears and Chris Coleman don't play from patterns they play from the subconcious/improvisation part of their brain not recalling patterns.

This is one way i have been able to work on the phrasing element of it.

Hope this helps

D

Try this from Carmine Appice's book called Realistic Drum Fills: Replacements

This is exactly what you are searching for (replacement with Bass drum) !

Gary Chaffee Linear Time playing is basically the bible to all those cats

that and Sticking Patterns

Pretty much what I was going to say... I would also add in Technique patterns, as he actually has a section on hand and foot control in there. All the Patterns books by Chaffee should be within any drummers library. I use them all the time.

You can even use books like Stick Control - G.L.S. and Syncopation my Ted Reed to practice hand and foot technique. Just find stickings and apply them to the drum set, afterward just orchestrate it round the kit and maybe make an 8th note into a 16th, 16th into a 32nd etc. Be creative with patterns you see, remember - you don't have to play the sticking as it's written! Just use it as a guide if there are specific accents you like etc.

Back