Why are we addicted to vintage drums?

Most of my thoughts are just echos of things already said, but I agree that the sound and the "mojo" is what has drawn me to older drums.

I think the hand hammered cymbal analogy is perfect in this case. Vintage drums were not made to the exacting tolerances of today's kits and many were either flawed from the get-go or have quietly self-destructed over the years, but when they were good they were really good.

I can appreciate modern drums,but I'll always own vintage stuff.I just love the thought of being the temporary caretaker of aome pieces of history.
I also feel that I am a caretaker. I play and enjoy my old drums but I take care to do no harm to them.
The previous owners kept my drums for 45 years without even scratching them. I can't help but feeling obligated to show respect to them, and the drums by doing the same.
This is a recent development in my character. I have never felt this way about my drums before. Since I acquired these drums my attitude has changed.
Perhaps there is an unseen force that surrounds my drums. I feel special when I play them. Musicians that I frequently play with have noticed a difference in me that was enough for to them to make comments about. Hmmm??? Life is full of mysteries.

Last edited:
But all that steambending is labor intensive so I can see why it costs as much as it does.
This, & the skills to get it right, plus reliance on high quality board selection, are the reasons why drum companies moved away from this construction.

many were either flawed from the get-go or have quietly self-destructed over the years, but when they were good they were really good.
Exactly, catch a good one, & there's no way a modern multiple ply kit can deliver the same tone.

I feel special when I play them. Musicians that I frequently play with have noticed a difference in me that was enough for to them to make comments about. Hmmm??? Life is full of mysteries.
This is great to hear Bob. It's a "coming home" feel, an empathy with an instrument that just feels so right. When ascertaining value, many often underrate the positive affects of this. Can't put a price on that.

Most of my thoughts are just echos of things already said, but I agree that the sound and the "mojo" is what has drawn me to older drums.

I think the hand hammered cymbal analogy is perfect in this case. Vintage drums were not made to the exacting tolerances of today's kits and many were either flawed from the get-go or have quietly self-destructed over the years, but when they were good they were really good.

True.Construction and QC is no doubt way better these days,but if you get your hands on a well preserved and constructed vintage drum,you have a piece of treasure in your possession.

That's how I feel about my vintage stuff,especially my 47 Slingerland Radio King.It's one of the really good ones and is in 9 out of 10 condition.In round,no ring separation or wrap separation.Only a very slight yellowing of the WMP wrap which is just beautiful.

Original snare wires and calf reso head.It even has the rare aluminum reso hoop which Slingerland only used for less than a year and the NOB stick chopper engraved batter hoop.

I kid about being burried with some of my drums,but it would be a crime not to pass this on, to someone who will appreciate the history and value of that instrument.Not to mention the joy of playing a piece of history.

Steve B

Back