I am going to get a new drum set sometime soon, and I need to decide on what cymbals I want. I play thrash metal/heavy metal like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, Motorhead, Ozzy, Black Sabbath, Dio, etc....Here are the set ups for if I use these cymbals.

Paiste
Paiste signature sound edge hi hat 14" (x2)
Paiste 2002 power ride 22"
Paiste 2002 china 22"
Paiste 2002 nova china 20"
Paiste RUDE thin crash 16" and 17"
Paiste RUDE wild crash 18" and 19"

Sabian
Sabian AA metal-x hi hat (x2)
Sabian HH power ride bell 22"
Sabian HH china 20"
Sabian AA china 18"
Sabian HH dark crash 16"
Sabian HH thin crash 17"
Sabian AA metal-x crash 18" and 19"

Please help me decide

Not bad options there. I'm not a fan of the Rude series so on the Paiste side i would switch those Rudes for maybe 2002 Wild Crash's or Signature Relected Crash but that's just me. Have you looked into the Zildjian and Meinl lines as well? Zildjian A's have some great options there for Metal/Rock and Meinl MB20 is an excellent line for this style as well. Give them a look also if you haven't already.

Not bad options there. I'm not a fan of the Rude series so on the Paiste side i would switch those Rudes for maybe 2002 Wild Crash's or Signature Relected Crash but that's just me. Have you looked into the Zildjian and Meinl lines as well? Zildjian A's have some great options there for Metal/Rock and Meinl MB20 is an excellent line for this style as well. Give them a look also if you haven't already.

Yea I have looked at Meinl, they don't give me that sound i really like...but anyway I checked out the signature reflected crash, and those are really nice. Also in zildjian I love them, but I cant find the zildjian z custom mega bell ride I like and the z dyno beat hi hat, do know anywhere where i can find those 2 cymbals?

Brundlefly, I agree with your post 1,000% but i think he is just wanting an opinion and not nessesarily someone telling him this is what you SHOULD buy. I"m always open for anybody's opinion but in the end i'll make up my own mind and i'm shure he will do the same. I'm not trying to sound like a smartelic toward you i'm just saying.

Yea I have looked at Meinl, they don't give me that sound i really like...but anyway I checked out the signature reflected crash, and those are really nice. Also in zildjian I love them, but I cant find the zildjian z custom mega bell ride I like and the z dyno beat hi hat, do know anywhere where i can find those 2 cymbals?

Z Customs were replaced by the Z3 line last year i think. Some picks in that line as well. You can still find Z Customs on Ebay and Craigslist though.

Brundlefly, I agree with your post 1,000% but i think he is just wanting an opinion and not nessesarily someone telling him this is what you SHOULD buy. I"m always open for anybody's opinion but in the end i'll make up my own mind and i'm shure he will do the same. I'm not trying to sound like a smartelic toward you i'm just saying.

Yea that is what I want is more so opinions, but damn, I wish they still carried the z dyno beat, like I see some drummers that still use them like if im correct lars uses them and mario duplantier from gojira uses z custom mega bell ride

Yeah those Z Dyno Beats are a great set of hats! If you need some Z Customs to round out your sound keep an eye out on Ebay and Craigslist, they are on there all the time. Remember to always trust your ears and get what YOU like.

Actually i think Lars has went with all Z3's now. Someone can correct me if i'm wrong. If your looking for bright cymbals those are not bad. There is a Z3 Mega Bell Ride that sounds just as good as the Z Custom Bell Ride, or at least to me it does.

Yeah those Z Dyno Beats are a great set of hats! If you need some Z Customs to round out your sound keep an eye out on Ebay and Craigslist, they are on there all the time. Remember to always trust your ears and get what YOU like.

Actually i think Lars has went with all Z3's now. Someone can correct me if i'm wrong. If your looking for bright cymbals those are not bad. There is a Z3 Mega Bell Ride that sounds just as good as the Z Custom Bell Ride, or at least to me it does.

And the z3 mega bell ride sounds similar just not as pingy which is nice
I've been looking at the 2002 wild crrash and signature power crash and they sound ALOT Better than the rude

Yeah i'm not a big fan of the Rude series at all. If you haven't been there yet go to www.mycymbal.com have great cymbal samples being played on a drum set. You can really get a good idea of what the cymbal sounds like. But hearing them in the store is much better.

Why choose between just two brands? Lately I have been loving Ufip. Awesome pies!

A couple years ago I switched from Sabian to Paiste and the difference is, quite literally, night and day.

Here is my current setup. Not cheap by any means, but definitely worth the investment. All by Paiste Signature:

14" Signature Reflector Heavy Full Hi-Hat
22" Signature Reflector Heavy Full Crash
24" 2002 Crash
22" Signature Reflector Power Ride
20" Signature Power Crash
14" Signature Fast Crash

If I were to give you my opinion, the setups you're currently deciding between could both use work (in terms of the better cymbals/hi-hats offered from each brand). If you're able to afford it, the epitome of quality offered by Paiste, I believe, trumps the epitome of quality and sound Sabian could ever provide.

That's, however, pertaining to the sound I go for. What specifically is the sound you're going for? Are there any drummers whose setups and sound you strive for?

Rob

A couple years ago I switched from Sabian to Paiste and the difference is, quite literally, night and day.

Here is my current setup. Not cheap by any means, but definitely worth the investment. All by Paiste Signature:

14" Signature Reflector Heavy Full Hi-Hat
22" Signature Reflector Heavy Full Crash
24" 2002 Crash
22" Signature Reflector Power Ride
20" Signature Power Crash
14" Signature Fast Crash

If I were to give you my opinion, the setups you're currently deciding between could both use work (in terms of the better cymbals/hi-hats offered from each brand). If you're able to afford it, the epitome of quality offered by Paiste, I believe, trumps the epitome of quality and sound Sabian could ever provide.

That's, however, pertaining to the sound I go for. What specifically is the sound you're going for? Are there any drummers whose setups and sound you strive for?

Rob
I want to get that heavy sound like iron maiden, metallica, judas priest, slayer, etc.

I want to get that heavy sound like iron maiden, metallica, judas priest, slayer, etc.

i'm not entirely familiar with metal's sound in general, but i do know Lars' drumming quite well and know a few Iron Maiden tracks. if i were relate the sound you're going for to them specifically, i would suggest to go with a Paiste setup. like i said though, Paiste is more of an investment than Sabian will be.

firstly, the hi-hats are critical. based on that sound, i would honestly suggest going for the hi-hats i use, the Paiste 14" Signature Reflector Heavy Full Hi-Hats.

http://www.paiste.com/e/cymbals.php?category=3&family=3&action=category&menuid=240

if you click on that link, a bunch of hi-hats will be shown across the page. just click on "Reflector Heavy Full Hi-Hat", second from the right. although it will never do these hi-hats justice (or any of their cymbals for that matter), you can "test" the sound of them by clicking on sound files on the left-hand side of the page. crank your computer speakers up and listen. haha

as for the mains, i could give you literally 100+ choices on different lines and sizes of Paiste cymbals to give you that heavy sound, so i would just suggest surfing the site and seeing if you find anything you like. the cymbals i use are very heavy-sounding, but a lot of it has to do with the sizes of my setup (20"-24" crashes, 22" ride) and the fact i'm much more of a rock drummer than a metal drummer. metal drummers usually do not use as big of cymbals as i do, so for that reason only i'd say check out other Paiste lines.. perhaps the Signature Dark Crisp line or the cymbals Joey Jordison uses.

Rob

Back