Another Head Preference Question.

DrewTheShoe

Alright, I know if you're like me you've seen at least ten of these in the past three minutes.
But, I'm getting new snare heads, and my previous purchase plans were killed pretty fast. I was going to get a Coated Pinstripe for my batter, but that was shot down in a very elaborate manner in one thread.

So now my main question is this:
What snare heads would you think would best suit my playing style/needs/situation?

Also, not as urgent since I'm pretty content with my heads on my toms for now, but for the future, what heads do you think I should get for them?

It's eventually going to be my decision in the end, but a few third-party opinions never hurt anybody.

So I play rock, and mostly progressive rock, but others too. Things such as Muse, Wolfmother, and Chili Peppers.
I really have no plans on gigging any time soon, so I'd be in a pretty small, un-micced area.
For my snare I want a mostly deep fat sound, kinda wet, with a tad bit of resonance/sustain.
Toms are the same way...only without the snare portion.
:p

So just gimme your two cents, I'd really appreciate it.
:)

Snare - Coated ambassador batter, hazy ambassador snare side
Toms - Clear Emperor batter, clear ambassador reso
Kick - Clear PS3 batter / Ebony PS3 reso

Snare - Coated ambassador batter, hazy ambassador snare side
Toms - Clear Emperor batter, clear ambassador reso
Kick - Clear PS3 batter / Ebony PS3 reso

x2

or you could always do the evans version

Snare - Coated G1 batter, hazy 300 snare side
Toms - Clear G2 batter, clear G1 reso
Kick - Clear EQ3 / Ebony EQ3 reso

whichever company you prefer

x2

or you could always do the evans version

Snare - Coated G1 batter, hazy 300 snare side
Toms - Clear G2 batter, clear G1 reso
Kick - Clear EQ3 / Ebony EQ3 reso

whichever company you prefer

you were close with the evans version but where a little off.

for the kick the evans heads are either the EQ1 or EQ4.
the EQ1 has tiny vents around the edge and has a removable tone control ring.

I guess the evans equivalent of the PS3 is the EQ3 but the EQ3 is only 7 mil.
the EQ3 is a great sounding head either way.

you were close with the evans version but where a little off.

for the kick the evans heads are either the EQ1 or EQ4.
the EQ1 has tiny vents around the edge and has a removable tone control ring.

I guess the evans equivalent of the PS3 is the EQ3 but the EQ3 is only 7 mil.
the EQ3 is a great sounding head either way.

The EQ3 is a 2 ply head each ply being 7mil, the PS3 is a single ply. The EQ4 would be its closest equivalent I believe.

Well, I've decided that I'm definitely going to go with some sort of an Emperor for my snare batter.

But does anybody have any thoughts/comments on an Emperor X?
I think I might like the deeper sound that it'll produce, but I'm not sure if it'll be too thick and sound dead.

Well, I've decided that I'm definitely going to go with some sort of an Emperor for my snare batter.

But does anybody have any thoughts/comments on an Emperor X?
I think I might like the deeper sound that it'll produce, but I'm not sure if it'll be too thick and sound dead.

I bought an Emperor X reverse dot yesterday and personally I hate it. It's so thick that it virtually has no rebound what-so-ever. I ended up tuning as tight as I possibly could, just to get enough rebound to work with, but it still felt sluggish and sounded like I was hitting a piece of cardboard. I suppose there are drummers that prefer less rebound, so if this is you then it might be worth checking out. On the plus side, this thing is built like a tank and will probably last forever!

I bought an Emperor X reverse dot yesterday and personally I hate it. It's so thick that it virtually has no rebound what-so-ever. I ended up tuning as tight as I possibly could, just to get enough rebound to work with, but it still felt sluggish and sounded like I was hitting a piece of cardboard. I suppose there are drummers that prefer less rebound, so if this is you then it might be worth checking out. On the plus side, this thing is built like a tank and will probably last forever!

Ah yeah, I have heard that before.

Although, I decided that I wanted a more open sound and got a coated Amb.

I love it! You should try it, it honestly can be tuned low and fat to bright, cracking and dry in an instant.

If you are a heavy snare hitter, and do not want to do too many ghost notes, the emperor x is your head.

I prefer the coated ambassador as mentioned before, or the Evans G1 coated.

Just my preference and my opinion.

You might try a Remo Controlled Sound head on the snare. I use it ONLY on my 14x7 brass Tama Starclassic snare, and it's the only thing that sounds great on it.

Aquarian just came out with a relatively new snare batter head... I saw it in the drum store yesterday, but I don't remember what it was called. It looked pretty good, but they only had 14" in stock, and my only 14" snare is the Tama, so I didn't pick one up.

Back