A short clip of the Sound and the Fury ;)

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Hey all -

I wanted to share some of my live playing that I do with my show choir gig I do here in southern California. I've talked about it before and I usually get the "what are you doin' that for?" reaction from others. Tonight was our last concert of the year for the students and the last time we'd do these shows (before we start up again in September with another group of kids and new shows), so I threw the Zoom Q3 up to see what I actually look like when I do this.

Anyway, think of this as a marching band of sorts. The kids learn a 15-18 minute show, and they take it out to compete against other schools. They sing and dance, and they hire musicians to back them up. In this instance, there's only two of us, me and a keyboard player who's playing two keyboards through a 1,000 watt PA rig for himself. I'm un-mic'd. Some schools have entire orchestras, or small combos. We get away with just the two of us because vocally, I think having too many musicians gets in the way of the choir.

But after editing down the video, I realized one thing: we are literally the only show choir where we start at forte and go beyond. We even play everything alot faster than normal too. So, to be honest, I couldn't play this way for any other show choir, this is more like a rock n' roll gig - any one else we would just bury in the sound. So what you're seeing is a clip from their Beatles medley.

I was using my zep kit here with 15" New Beats, 26" bass drum, and my 24" K Light Ride. And there are alot of spots where I couldn't get loud enough! Forget subtle and musical - this is just outright bashing. It's rather therapeutic. I apologize for the apparent abuse to my beloved 24" ride - but you know it makes a great crash if you hit it hard enough.

So that's why I do it - I get to really play like Animal most of the time, and it's a pretty good check too! It beats having to play for four hours a night, don't you think?

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea02PjwubIc&feature=youtu.be

Now that I really like!!!!!!!!! That's the first time I've seen you really laying into the drums, & is suits you well sir. Simple bashing - great groove pocket - punchy drums. It doesn't get much better than that. Driving, driving, driving Bo :) :) :)

Your comment, "forget musical"? Really, I'd call that very musical. It's right for the music & the vibe - right?

I enjoyed this - the first thing that went trough my mind was this guy:

That K sounds really good!

thx

jorn

Attachments

• vadrum_08.jpg
    vadrum_08.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 133
you know exactly how I feel about your playing Matt .......I wish this vid was an hour long

that K and those hats sound ridiculous

Not just the cymbals -- the whole kit sounds great. I dig the Supra, it's dialed in perfectly. What a fun gig.

Awesome, bo! Love to see you just rockin' out like that. Rock solid playing, looks effortless. And the drums sound great! Love that Supra.

Looks like a lot of fun.

Thanks all for watching so far. There is a side benefit to this gig (because we don't have just one of these show choirs, we actually have four) - it's a bit of a workout - so it's probably helping me keep my girlish figure. For now.

Speaking of the Supra, the one thing I've always dealt with on those old P-85 strainers is the need to constantly adjust them while I'm playing. And going from playing hard to not playing at all sometimes with the kids means the strainer gets flipped on and off probably moreso than on any other gig. And while I pound the drum really hard, the strainer loosens up because I don't start with it at 'choked levels'. Is it just me or does everybody deal with this?

As I consider that I may need louder drums, a set of Gurus may be a good investment for this gig. I'd really like to discover how much louder a 26" Guru bass drum would be now ;)

Speaking of the Supra, the one thing I've always dealt with on those old P-85 strainers is the need to constantly adjust them while I'm playing. And going from playing hard to not playing at all sometimes with the kids means the strainer gets flipped on and off probably moreso than on any other gig. And while I pound the drum really hard, the strainer loosens up because I don't start with it at 'choked levels'. Is it just me or does everybody deal with this?

I think it's a "most people" thing. For a design with so many imitators, the P-85 is really junk. I count myself lucky that mine hasn't really developed any issues yet. Maybe you'd be happier with a P-86...?

I loved the playing Bo. We should all get in touch with our inner Animal once in a while!

Back