Are there any sticks i can try between 7A and 5A?

CHOPED

When i first started drumming around 3 years ago a friend who was a jazz drummer told that the sticks to get were 7As. I have never been able to switch from 7As. i have 5As but they just feel too heavy. i play rock and everyone tells me how weird it is to play with 7As. i dont have any problems with durability of sticks because i don't break them very often. i was wondering if there you guys have any suggestions on some good sticks to try.

thanks!

If the only problem is what other people say, then keep using 7A's. They are not buying your sticks, are they? YOU can always go to drum stick makers' websites and find the stick you use and explore similar sizes. It is almost always better to think for oneself. I like sticks in between a 5A and 5B, so I looked and found some I thought I would like and tried them out. Some I did like, and some others I did not like. You are the only one who knows what you are comfortable with. Peace and goodwill.

There are a good combination of Signature sticks, that you might want to check in different branches or makes. For an example, I play with Pro Mark Simon Phillips which is the between of 5A & 5B...fantastic sticks!

Pro-mark 747's i used them for ages playing metal now i don't play suck fast stuff i use a heavier stick but there a great in between

When i first started drumming around 3 years ago a friend who was a jazz drummer told that the sticks to get were 7As. I have never been able to switch from 7As. i have 5As but they just feel too heavy. i play rock and everyone tells me how weird it is to play with 7As. i dont have any problems with durability of sticks because i don't break them very often. i was wondering if there you guys have any suggestions on some good sticks to try.

thanks!

Regal Tip Jazz Nylon - they're like a longer 7A. For me, they are the perfect stick.

I like lighter sticks most of the time, as my toms are very thin shelled and tuned wide open. The 7A were nice, but too short.

I played with 747's for a long time - didn't like the finish after awhile.

The Regal Tip Jazz are what I use nearly full time now - if I need more beef, occasionally I'll move to a 5A, or even a 5B by Vic. The Jazz are my stick of choice.

-K

MAN, if you are not having issues playing with the 7A's why change? Because people tell you how weird it is? Do what works for you; you can mess around with a bunch of sticks and try to work on getting use to them, but it will always come down to what has and is working best for you so stick with that.

I would definitely have to agree with the posts before me- if the 7A is working for you, then that's all that counts. If you're looking for something different, is it the length, the tip, the taper, the diameter, or the weight?

Cheers!

If the only problem is what other people say, then keep using 7A's. They are not buying your sticks, are they? YOU can always go to drum stick makers' websites and find the stick you use and explore similar sizes. It is almost always better to think for oneself. I like sticks in between a 5A and 5B, so I looked and found some I thought I would like and tried them out. Some I did like, and some others I did not like. You are the only one who knows what you are comfortable with. Peace and goodwill.

Not all 7A's are created equal, some are longer than others, some are slightly fatter etc.

You may find a 7A that's different enough from what you're using, but like everyones saying, if you're happy and they work for you, why switch? You know what Im/they're say'n?

thanks!

I would try some of the Signature sticks from each company ... Artist sticks tend to be in between and custom sizes. But in the end you will probably come back to 7A.

Try the Vic Firth 8D.
They have the length of a 5A, but the diameter of a 7A. They're really fast and durable and I use them a lot.

Cheers

I found the Vic American Classic 85A to be almost just what I'm looking for. It's a little longer and has a little more diameter than a 7A and 8A, but is still not as big as a 5A.

Back