Dw kit with added 14x12 floor tom

cdrums21

Gold Member
I recently added a 14x12 floor tom to my DW kit. I had debated on getting either a 14x12 or an 18x16 to go with the 16x14 I already had. I was worried that the 14x12 wouldn't be deep enough for a "floor tom" sound. After some more research....and thoughts from you guys here on drummerworld, I ended up with the 14x12 and it's working out very well. The "X" shell seems to create more rich low end, which makes the drum sound bigger than it is. It's great, I think the 18" floor would have been too muddy and gotten lost in the mix. Anyway, here's what the kit looks like now. By the way, that's a 1976 6.5x14 Ludwig supra there. I can't seem to find a better sounding rock snare drum. The other specs are 22x18 kick and 12x9 mounted tom. Broken glass finish. Paiste 2002 15" sound edge hats with 18" and 20" 2002 medium crashes. 22" signature Paiste dry heavy ride and signature heavy china.

Attachments

• DWKITgood1.jpg
    DWKITgood1.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 2,543
Beautiful kit!

cdrums said:
By the way, that's a 1976 6.5x14 Ludwig supra there. I can't seem to find a better sounding rock snare drum.

Of course not!

Hey man,
No, I have the 16x14 in the "X" shell as well. The 12x9 is a "VLT". I see you're a DW man and a Pittsburgh guy huh? I'm close by as well, just about an hour and a half east of you. Still bummed about the Steelers....oh well, next year!

Hi, Clint! Sweet looking set of DW's! Love the tom choices -- and, of course, the snare! You won't believe this, but, I'm thinking of getting a 3 piece DW kit from Dale's. You still gigging? Playing Yamaha's?

Take care,
Chris

Hi, Clint! Sweet looking set of DW's! Love the tom choices -- and, of course, the snare! You won't believe this, but, I'm thinking of getting a 3 piece DW kit from Dale's. You still gigging? Playing Yamaha's?

Take care,
Chris

Hey Chris! Good to hear from you. Thanks for the compliments on the kit. I really like it. I'm gigging quite a bit, all over the place. I pulled the trigger on the DW kit about a year and a half ago. I no longer play Yamaha. The DW shell technology with the X shells and VLT shells really piqued my interest. After hearing them at Dale's and talking with Reggie, I decided to sell the Yammies and get the DW's. I couldn't be happier, they look great and sound wonderful. Really rich and powerful. I hope you're doing well. If you do decide to go with a DW kit, you won't regret it in my opinion, they're really nice drums. Maybe we'll hook up at Dale's sometime soon, I'm due for some sticks and heads!

Back