Who here plays a different instrument in addition to drums?

jwildman

How many of you guys on hear play instruments other than drum set and other percussion instruments? Do you think this helps with your drumming somehow? I've thought about learning bass or acustic guitar but if it ruins my drumming I'd rather not do it.

There is another thread here somewhere with this info. I can't find it for now....But I will.

I played/programmed sequencers in the 80s and played simplistic keys in a band in 2007. Also play appalling guitar. I expect a lot of us have done backing vocals too.

Acoustic and electric 6 string Guitar and 4 string electric Bass. Yes, it does make you more round as a musician, and you do get to walk in the other band members' mocs.

I actually played piano before I started playing drums, so there's that. I also play guitar (well enough to be in a band, which I thought was really cool) and can BS my way on a bass. It really helps to learn a new perspective, and I've found that I end up tweaking everyone's tone for the better because of my experience and my natural yearning to make everything sound as good as possible.

A little bit of piano, guitar and bass.

Saxophone, trumpet, bass, and just enough guitar to get in trouble...

Started with guitar, then drums, now bass. Definitely gives you a great perspective of how the instruments work together.

I originally played the guitar, i always wanted to play the guitar and do the vocals in a band but when we couldn't find a drummer i thought i might as well do it myself. Sorry.

I don't play keyboards so much as I program them.

I started playing guitar a few years back when the guy we had for the session flaked over and over again, and I said 'screw it, I'll learn how to do it myself." I can't say I'm good enough to play live, or jam, but in the confines of my own studio, where no one else cares if it takes me 100 tries to get a good take, I can get by.

I played baritone horn from 1994-2001 as part of my school band. I also currently play electric bass and I can sing lead or background vocals (my voice is my strongest "instrument" aside from drum set) I know some basic chord structures for guitar and piano, but I can only play piano marginally well and I'm horrible at changing from one chord to another on guitar.

--------- Martin D18 Ge-tar --- Kentucky Mandolin ----- Dog house Bass -----------
---------------------------------------- But singing is my best Talent ---------------------
---------------------------------------------Now Learning The Drums ----------------------
------------------------------------------------- Didgery Doo --------------------

I have been playing drums for 8 years and i started guiatr a year ago and i am one of the best people at my school at guitar(they arnt bad im just good) and i have gotten even better at all music and writting music dont limit yourself to one instrument. i also play bass, piano, trombone and also learn music theory for guitar it helps so much

I played piano a long time ago and I can mess around and make it sound halfway decent. Trying to learn to play harp and hopefully am going to pick up an acoustic bass within the next few days and attempt to play that.

I play several instruments. I found that it did give me opportunities to grow musically.
And having a better understanding of the other elements in music; having perspective
from the guitarists point of view, and the ability to adapt to the other players.

On the other side: I wasn't playing with anyone while I was writing my own material,
composing all the pieces myself. And what I found there is that I was so acclimated
to my style, that I had become sloppy on some technique that I would use playing
music with different people.

So the thing I would suggest is to find a sparring partner.
Someone who may be a guitarist or bassist, but shows some interest
in drums. That way you can still compliment the other musicians.

Back