Phil Rudd

Re: Drummer From Ac/Dc

Theyve rehearsed so many times and they know each other so well that they usually dont need to count anything off, a simple stare or bodymovement can indecate to the band memebers when to start.

And ACDC whos been around for 30 years doesnt know their songs?

The hats are just part of the older bluesy sound ACDC has. And they dont do it on all thier songs. Just a couple, and when you have 17 albums worht of material thats not that many.

Phil Rudd is a solid drummer for sure and nothing to take away from his style I just wished he do a fill once in a while(since his first name is Phil LOL).I appreciate his drumming now that i'm more mature but when I was a kid his drumming sounded boring that's why it took me so long to like AC/DC I understand it now but back then I was bored.after I played in a few country and blues bands I understood the "less is more" thing.what's Phil doing now days now that Chris Slade(Manford-Mann,the Firm) is jammin' with them?I think he is a great drummer though.

Keep swatting,
Bonzolead

Fellow drummers,

Just a comment to share.
When I was 14 years old, I started to follow and play on drums Phil Rudd's beat/pace on "High Voltage" album. He is solid as a rock and time-keeper as well, the backbone for AC/DC. Most of the time, simplicity is the key to all success.

Cordially,

Even his simplicity "oozes" groove.

Man, when he plays back in black, you just start moving!!! Simple beat, but he plays it Just Right!!!

AC/DC got me into rock music, and I'll always be a big fan. I really appreciate Phill's drumming a lot. So ...steady.

Well, in the wonderfully subjective world of music, I get to not like this guy's playing. I like a little dynamics in music and this guy makes a living off this basic rock beat that anyone can play. He should be good at it, it's all he does. No thanks. Very overrated band IMO.

I hate to bash drummers, but I do agree with this.

But keep in mind, AC/DC fans are also the ones who will claim Angus Young is the greatest guitar player in the world. I love ACDC fans, because they are passionate about their band, and sometimes reality is seen through "AC/DC glasses."

Last edited:
But keep in mind, ACDC fans are also the ones who will claim Angus Young is the greatest guitar player in the world. I love ACDC fans, because they are passionate about their band, but they aren't realistic about reality sometimes either.

I'm the biggest AC/DC fan you'll ever meet, and I know very well that all their songs are about the same stuff, and that Angus' solos are all based on the same few licks and that Phil plays the same beat on every song and that Cliff's basslines are straight 16ths most of the time, and you know what? I still love them.

And while I love AC/DC and similar bands, I'm also the kind of guy that listens and appreciates a lot of highly technical and progressive music. As weird as it may seem, I manage to like several styles of playing.
But AC/DC, they are freaking rock 'n' roll, it needs a straight beat and an even bassline, that's just how it goes! Try sticking a lot of ghost notes on the snare and intricate hi-hat patterns in there, and it will suck, period. The way rock like AC/DC is played is the way Phil does it, and he's damn good at it.

Anyway, proof that not anyone that knows how to play a 4/4 beat can play AC/DC the right way is Chris Slade, who while being a great drummer, dind't seem to cut it the same way as Phil. Go figure.

Hello, All.

For those who doubt:
I suggest to play on drums songs like Night Prowler, Ride On, Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, The Jack, Let There Be Rock, Hells Bells, For those about to Rock...We salute you. Then make further comments regarding Phil Rudd's drumming.

All the Best,

Phil Rudd AC/DC

Want to say how much I appreciate Phil Rudd now that AC/DC is back on tour.

He is known as the man with the steady thump, but if you listen to songs like 'Back in Black' you know he does more than a solid 2/4. He really works the song and digs deep.

Was disappointed Rollingstone left him off the Nov. '08 cover, he must of missed the photo shoot.

Anyway, cheers to Phil Rudd the man with the steady thump!

Re: Phil Rudd AC/DC

Phil is a good time-keeper and groover, I invite you to play Night Prowler from Highway to Hell album or keep the time on Let There Be Rock...good exercise!

All the Best,

Phil Rudd is a legend. He is the perfect drummer for AC/DC. Phil is solid as a rock and is the ultimate ' play for the song drummer '.

I read an interview with Thomas Lang and he was asked what album he wished he had played on and he said 'Back in Black'.

Phil Rudd has influenced a lot of drummers, in the same way that Ringo did to an earlier generation.

Rolling Stone? Yeah, I keep a copy around in case I run out of toilet paper or my neighbor needs to pick up the dog's poop.

Now that's funny ... what they do, leave you off the cover?

I've got a lifetime supply of toilet paper, my subscription is a life sentence.

In the article on AC/DC this month they say when they toured with Aerosmith the crew had a name for Angus' nightly flip-outs, when he fell on his back and pumped his legs in the air: "bacon frying".

That issue has an nteresting article on the Mexican drug war too, there has been a lot trouble recently down South.

let's just say I am no fan of RS and they are as irrelevant to me as irrelevant can be.

As for Phil Rudd his playing with AC/DC should be a lesson that one not need to showcase stupendous chops to get the job done in a very admirable way. He fit that band like a glove and his playing for the song is something to be admired. Drummers like Phil sometimes get overlooked or are under appreciated because they don't blow you away with stupendous Chambers-like chops. For whatever it's worth Mr. Rudd has my respect and I appreciate his contributions to AC/DC and drumming.

let's just say I am no fan of RS and they are as irrelevant to me as irrelevant can be.

As for Phil Rudd his playing with AC/DC should be a lesson that one not need to showcase stupendous chops to get the job done in a very admirable way. He fit that band like a glove and his playing for the song is something to be admired. Drummers like Phil sometimes get overlooked or are under appreciated because they don't blow you away with stupendous Chambers-like chops. For whatever it's worth Mr. Rudd has my respect and I appreciate his contributions to AC/DC and drumming.

You know I'm with you on some of that, RS is irrelevant and irreverent and they tick me off too. They bashed Zepplin when they first came out and AC/DC too, and their music reviewers are always touting some hot new act that I could care the less for. And don't even get me started on their politics......

BUT, RS does keep up on some of the latest movers and shakers, has good gossip and photos, and keeps track of the Top 100. And I doubt any drummer in the world wouldn't be thrilled if they saw their puss on a Rolling Stone cover.

Back