Stick Grip Product

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/va...y_name=19349&product_id=2363&variant_id=38051

I found this product in Ace Hardware that is used for coating tool handles, etc. and decided to try it on some sticks instead of tapes and other products. I bought the 14 ounce can which is approximately 6 inches tall, and the process is just opening the can, stirring the product, and slowly dipping the stick in the can and slowly pulling it out. I put paper clips around the tips first and then after removing from the rubber product, and letting them drip into the can for a while, I hung them on the clothes line in the garage to drip on some paper. They dry completely in four hours. It also appears that I could do all of the sticks I own with one 8 dollar can. I will post picture tomorrow to show the final result. The first pair I did are dry and they feel great, and didnt add significant weight and maybe 1/100th of inch to the diameter if that, I couldn't feel the difference. It is also sold in several colors if that is important. Stay Tuned.

Edit...this product looks like paint but has just enough grip to it. In the second picture you can see some of the product dripping off of the butt end of the stick, but i took a Qtip and just wiped it off.

Attachments

• P3290015.JPG
    P3290015.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 1,772
  • P3290014.JPG
    P3290014.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,755
  • P3290013.JPG
    P3290013.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,749
Last edited:
I've seen stuff like this before, but I was afraid that it would cause blisters - much like the zildjian dip sticks........

I'm sure it would work for most though, I might even try it....

Thats a sweet idea....You could even get some sand a sprinkle on it while its wet.....but that might cause some problems.

That's an awesome idea G! You're definately saving $$ by going that route instead of buying those "dip" sticks like Zildjian sells. I normally don't use grip tape or sticks along this line because my hands are like an alligator they're so dry (LOL)!

Definately keep us posted on how the final product turns out.

The website for the product mentioned some grit material could be mixed in with the product but I can see that gritty stuff coming off and being everywhere except where it belongs. The pair I picked up this morning have not lost any balance and the one coat is so thin you dont notice any thickness at all, but you can feel that it just wants to stay in your hand. I have not played with them yet but will do so this afternoon.

Great idea for a mod!

I used the same exact product for this purpose a few weeks ago, black color. It worked good at first, but started peeling off the sticks before long. While it lasts, though, it works great - excellent grip and absolutely no discernible effect on balance, feel or weight.

I think this stuff is coming off because the sticks are polished. I am thinking about re-doing the application, but first using sandpaper to roughen up the stick a bit so the rubber adheres better.

I also brushed the material on, as I had about two-thirds of a can (I use it in other places on the drumset and around the house) and I wanted to coat about 40 percent of the stick, basically all the lower half, and the can isn't deep enough. The material is like really thick paint and cleans up well with mineral spirits.

I think brushing may result in a thinner layer, which is more prone to peeling off the stick. I think that by dipping, you'd get a really thick coat that would be tougher and adhere better.

Well I played for about two hours this evening with a pair of my dipped 5A's and not even the first hint of a slip.

DMG...I think if you had enough to do the slow dip process that they recommend as opposed to a brush you may have had better results. Time will tell if these last for any time at all keeping in mind that I'm playing 60's rock and some smooth jazz and some blues and not smashing them like some metal players. I just got tired of the tapes I was using and this product is so thin after one coat that you can barely feel it on the stick and yet there is no slippage. So to this point I an happy with my experiment. I may let the manufacture know of my attempt and see if they have any interest in putting the product in a little deeper but narrower container for our purpose. Thanks for your feedback and interest. I have enjoyed your DIY posts in the past.

Well I played for about two hours this evening with a pair of my dipped 5A's and not even the first hint of a slip.

DMG...I think if you had enough to do the slow dip process that they recommend as opposed to a brush you may have had better results. Time will tell if these last for any time at all keeping in mind that I'm playing 60's rock and some smooth jazz and some blues and not smashing them like some metal players. I just got tired of the tapes I was using and this product is so thin after one coat that you can barely feel it on the stick and yet there is no slippage. So to this point I an happy with my experiment. I may let the manufacture know of my attempt and see if they have any interest in putting the product in a little deeper but narrower container for our purpose. Thanks for your feedback and interest. I have enjoyed your DIY posts in the past.

I think you are right, I am painting it on in a thin layer and it's coming off because it needs to be thicker. I will try dipping now.

One question about dipping: The amount of stick you can cover will get smaller each time you dip. How do you deal with that?

Absolutely correct. I am going to try and find some disposable, smaller diameter containers at work. I thought about that as I was dipping. I work at a hospital and may be able to find something in our lab.

right now i use wax -- which i love the stickiness however it tends to wear off fast and i have to reapply all the time - especially on my polished sticks. Have you used wax and how does the dip compare to it?

Absolutely correct. I am going to try and find some disposable, smaller diameter containers at work. I thought about that as I was dipping. I work at a hospital and may be able to find something in our lab.

That's a good idea, but because the material is so sticky, I think you'd lose a lot of it between transfers and pouring, unless you did a lot of scraping, which would be very messy.

Elvis, I havent used any waxes. I always used some kind of tape and most of those tend to peel at some point. I figure the wax would come off in your hands at some point. This product being rubber has some stretch to it so it should take some knocking without coming off. I just did two more pair, but sanded down the butt end first to see if it adheres any better. Only time will tell if this was worth the effort. I guess thats what DIY, and experimenting is all about.

Last edited:
Here is a shot of my arsenal. I think all manufacturers are represented from My Manhattan
7A's down to the Rikki Rockett Bottle Rocketts. They feel great when playing and I haven't quite used half of the product yet.

Attachments

• P4010017.JPG
    P4010017.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 1,826
Here is a shot of my arsenal. I think all manufacturers are represented from My Manhattan
7A's down to the Rikki Rockett Bottle Rocketts. They feel great when playing and I haven't quite used half of the product yet.

Looks very good!

When you dip, do you tilt the can as needed to extend the reach of the material? That would help compensate for the fact that you have a little less each time you do it. I'm goign to try dipping this weekend. All of the stuff I painted on has peeled off now.

ive got the zildjian dip sticks and they give me SO many blisters, but once you get around the blisters, they are so much better then regular wood sticks

Looks very good!

When you dip, do you tilt the can as needed to extend the reach of the material? That would help compensate for the fact that you have a little less each time you do it. I'm goign to try dipping this weekend. All of the stuff I painted on has peeled off now.

The last few pairs I tilted the can and spun the stick being careful not to touch the edge of the can.

have you noticed any blisters? defenately does not sound fun. Also, i noticed a few of the dips (like on the regal) the dip does not seem to make it to the fulcrum point of the stick -- where your thumb and first finger meet -- was that intentional?

No sign of blisters after about three days of playing. I am playing matched grip and so far all of the sticks have enough product on them to fit my hand. Again this product is just a thin coat of rubber, more like paint, you dont even know its there except for the fact that they don't slip out of your hand. Its not thick like grip tape.

I have been playing for almost two weeks now with dipped sticks. I removed all the painted-on material and re-did the sticks by dipping and tipping the container and rolling the sticks around to get uniform coverage. It took some finesse, but the diminishing amount of material doesn't affect the coverage area as long as I roll the sticks carefully.

These do abrade my hands a lot more than varnished wood and a feel a bit of a sting after a half-hour straight practice session. I could see if someone wasn't used to this material and started playing four hours a day, they'd get some mean blisters. My calluses have gotten noticeably thicker in just 10 days. But the sticks absolutely stay put and the material is holding, but I can tell it's wearing down (not as shiny) in the areas where it rubs against the skin the most.

In all, a great idea for a DIY project that's cheap and easy and produces a big benefit.

If you guys have an archery shop around you, you could get dip tubes for finishing arrows. It's basically just a long narrow tube with a screw-on cap for preserving the leftovers. They come in different lengths.

If you can't find them locally, here is a link.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/ListThumb.asp?offset=0

I think the dip tubes would work well on your sticks.

Back