Girl drummers

I'm on the fence...

On one hand, I love that there are members of the lesser gender (j/k) with the ability AND interest to play the drums as well as some do.

On the other hand - it seems weird that they play as well as, or inferior to, other male drummers, but get notoriety simply because of their gender.

It's the way the world turns.

I'd advise that you just view them as "drummers". This difference in genders thing has really gotten old.

Yeah i do, dont mean to offend anyone, its just that i see these girls on youtube that have around 1 million views and they can hardly play the standard 4/4 beat.

Girl drummers? Bah, I don't believe it! Everyone knows girls can't drum! :p

I'd advise that you just view them as "drummers". This difference in genders thing has really gotten old.

Yep. The instant you qualify a drummer based on gender, any valid measurement of talent goes out the window. Same applies to age, IMO. "That drummer's amazing for a 5-year old!" Really? How nice for them.

A person playing the drums has talent, or they don't. Period.

Bermuda

I'm on the fence...

On one hand, I love that there are members of the lesser gender (j/k) with the ability AND interest to play the drums as well as some do.

On the other hand - it seems weird that they play as well as, or inferior to, other male drummers, but get notoriety simply because of their gender.

It's the way the world turns.

Lesser gender?Wow....do you really believe that?I've worked with female cops that will kick your butt down the block,everyday and twice on Sundays.

I've trained female shooters,in both archery and firearms who will beat most if not all male challengers.

The truth is because of the fact that the're female,most males still think that the're superior to women.That's what they get so many hits.You just want to see what they first of all look like.The playing is usually secondary.

The're plenty of really good female drummers out there,they're just more men doing it that women,so it just seems like some of them are not as talented.

The're also more that enough male drummers on youtube who couldn't find a 4/4 if you gave them a map,and told em' where to start.

Steve B

Lesser gender?Wow....do you really believe that?I've worked with female cops that will kick your butt down the block,everyday and twice on Sundays.

Hey man... he typed (j/k)... I think that means "just kidding"... So I don't think he really believes that. You misunderstood his point.

Anyway good for you for standing out for the chicks, hehe, lol. :)

Cheers.

Hey man... he typed (j/k)... I think that means "just kidding"... So I don't think he really believes that. You misunderstood his point.

Anyway good for you for standing out for the chicks, hehe, lol. :)

Cheers.

If that's the case I didn't know that (j/k) meant just kidding.I don't do a lot of texting as I prefer actual conversation weither it be on the phone or in person.

My apologies if I have offended....mea culpa.:)

Steve B

Yeah i do, dont mean to offend anyone, its just that i see these girls on youtube that have around 1 million views and they can hardly play the standard 4/4 beat.

I'm cool. I find that we humans still have quite a ways to go when confronted with bias. It takes more time than we have. YouTube and actual drumming don't have that much in common.

I played with one in high school a long time ago along with female trumpet players etc, I guess I'm used to it by now.

Yep Steve, "jk" = "joke" ... pretty well equivalent to a wink but without the potentially lascivious overtones ;-) ;-)

No doubt there's novelty value in being a woman drummer - if you're young and gorgeous and play really well (Emanuelle, Meytal). It's even a novelty for me! I don't see a lot of women play either since I don't play in front of a mirror (even though over a year ago Brent suggested I do that when I practice for more effective sessions lol)

That's just how things are in this society where sex is dirty and violence is family entertainment. Let's face it, you don't see marketers trying to sell cars by draping semi naked men over them, do you? 'Tis a shame ...

In an industry that actively celebrates and awards the difference in gender, what hope has anyone else got?

And the Grammy for best female vocalist goes to.......

Or how about?

The Oscar for best actress in a leading role goes to.....

As for the question at hand, I think it's perfectly valid. Sex sells. Advertisers and marketers cottoned on to this idea years ago......long before youtube. That horse bolted whem Adam was a lad, so it's no surprise to me at all that people will throw out a tag line that plays on gender in the hope of being noticed in the fog.

What do I think of it? Fine by me, I see it everywhere, everyday.....on billborads, on TV....everywhere I turn my head.
A "hot chick" playing drums is just another minute example. If they feel the need to promote gender or even the fact that they are "hot" in order to score a few views it's no skin off my nose. "Views" are one thing......if they have no talent to begin with then who's gonna stick around anyway?

No harm, no foul, for mine. At the end of the day, they've still gotta be able to cut it for me to keep watching.

In an industry that actively celebrates and awards the difference in gender, what hope has anyone else got?

And the Grammy for best female vocalist goes to.......

Or how about?

The Oscar for best actress in a leading role goes to.....

As for the question at hand, I think it's perfectly valid. Sex sells. Advertisers and marketers cottoned on to this idea years ago......long before youtube. That horse bolted whem Adam was a lad, so it's no surprise to me at all that people will throw out a tag line that plays on gender in the hope of being noticed in the fog.

What do I think of it? Fine by me, I see it everywhere, everyday.....on billborads, on TV....everywhere I turn my head.
A "hot chick" playing drums is just another minute example. If they feel the need to promote gender or even the fact that they are "hot" in order to score a few views it's no skin off my nose. "Views" are one thing......if they have no talent to begin with then who's gonna stick around anyway?

No harm, no foul, for mine. At the end of the day, they've still gotta be able to cut it for me to keep watching.

I agree with you. But we're talking about an "auditory" experience rather than a visual one. If I put on a record and the music is good, then why should anyone care if it was a male or a female drummer? The music is good. If it's not good, then it still shouldn't matter what the gender is, right?

I agree with you. But we're talking about an "auditory" experience rather than a visual one. If I put on a record and the music is good, then why should anyone care if it was a male or a female drummer? The music is good. If it's not good, then it still shouldn't matter what the gender is, right?

Totally agree, in an auditory sense "hot chick drummer" is unlikely to have as many people switching a radio dial to give it a listen on that basis alone.

However, youtube is more than putting on a record or CD. The very nature of youtube is visual (hell, we could argue the very nature of popular music in this day in age is visual. Thanks to MTV, it would appear that a band or artist is only as good as their accompanying video) :)

But "hot chick drummer" is gonna spark a lot more interest than "drummer"......pretty much why the tactic is used in the first place.

The very nature of youtube is visual (hell, we could argue the very nature of popular music in this day in age is visual. Thanks to MTV, it would appear that a band or artist is only as good as their accompanying video)

You could argue that music is almost always an audio-visual experience. Generally you will see musicians and vocalists and props and dancers or recorded music with interesting cover art.

They knew a bit visuals and music back in Mozart's day ... even prehistoric times! It's not like tribal people don't dress up to dance.

I wonder if the percentage of "bad" guy drummers is the same as the percentage of "bad" girl drummers, as judged by a YouTube survey.

I should make a video and name it "guy drumming", then upload the same video but instead name it it "hot guy drumming" and compare view tallies.

Back