I bought them.

The best part? After 20, 30, 40 years, they'll sound even better! I can tell you that because I have 20+ year old New Beat hats and Medium Ride, 25+ year old 18" Medium Crash, and a 35+ year old 17" Medium Crash!

That 17 is usually my favorite crash of everything I own. Just the perfect example of what "crash" should sound like.

That said, they will sound far different than what you're used to. My band's drummer got a kit a few years ago outfitted with newer Zil As... and I hated the sound. Hated, that is, until we got out and started gigging with them.

Great, versatile cymbals, and they only get better with age. Just don't EVER EVER EVER polish 'em!

I was thinking that...it seems that vintage A's are pretty highly coveted. Of course, I'm never going to get rid of them, and as long as they don't break, I'll pass them on to my children, who will pass them onto their grandchildren, who will pass them onto generations until they are worth millions of dollars apiece.

Or I could just keep them:)

But you said you hated the sound...that's...interesting. I don't plan to be gigging...but I'm sure I'll be somewhat used to them when they arrive. I've been playing the Zildjian sound files to myself over and over again, watching Youtube videos, and my school's band even HAS New Beats (about 10 years old, I'd guess). I was playing with them today, and they sound and feel amazing. I am most looking forward to those.

I'm so glad to see you have a saga that has a happy ending. I know you've had some hiccups along the way with some other deals (ddrum swap anyone?), but this is the very essence of "art of the deal." You had a budget for some new hats, swallowed the "new" pride, and scored an complete set of used, but, incredible cymbals for just about your budget. And to top it off, you got rid of that Pearl albatross and now have pared down to your original 805 with some Zildjian A's. Your patience has paid off immensely. Good work.

I should write a memoir. It's the story of my life.

Very nice buy. You will enjoy those.

But you said you hated the sound...that's...interesting. I don't plan to be gigging...but I'm sure I'll be somewhat used to them when they arrive. I've been playing the Zildjian sound files to myself over and over again, watching Youtube videos, and my school's band even HAS New Beats (about 10 years old, I'd guess). I was playing with them today, and they sound and feel amazing. I am most looking forward to those.

Just the sound of his new-ish As versus my vintage As. His still sounded fantastic, but I had come to love my mellowed out vintage pies. His sounded the same, but yet altogether different. Like I said, once I came to appreciate his cymbals, I liked his sound again (plus he had a rock ride, and I DETEST rock rides in all fashions- too clangy to my ears).

Anyway, NBs are among the best hats in history, and the entire set can last you for the rest of your life if you take care of them. Well done!

...Makes me feel good about the deal I got on my As, actually... I paid a buddy of mine $200 for a drumset AND the ride, hats, and 18" crash... and then I ran into another used set that my grandparents picked up with older Zildjian As- It came with another pair of NB hats, the 17" crash, an 18" crash (non Zildjian), and a 22" washy ride (didn't like it at the time, sorta regret selling it now). Anyway, I sold the set for them (they run a secondhand shop), and took the 17" as my commission instead of cash. I think they paid $100 for that, and I sold it for a BIT more. ;-)

Back