Anyone else been having problems with Remo?

Just another experience I wanted to share, as I don't know if he'll remember to post here. I was talking to Tuxido last night and he says that his Fiberskyn snare head has a "bubble" in the middle of it, like two plies aren't sitting together...except it's a one ply head. There is a plastic "click" when he plays the head. He said that it happened about 4 days after he put on the head and has been getting worse since. Coincidentally, somedrummer told me that he had the exact same problem with the one as well.

That FiberSkyn head is actually a type of two ply in the Ambassador weight. There is the Ambassador-weight mylar and then the proprietary "FiberSkyn" material is laminated to that. So it's not two free-floating plies, but there is a layer laminated to the main mylar ply, and it seems his is coming unlaminated.

so you wore it out and then put dents in it and its the head's fault?

When I say "wore it in" I mean that whole seating the head deal (putting two hands on and pressing). I tuned it up and played it a little before the set. I've put plenty of different snare heads on (1 and 2 ply) and never had problems, there was just something wrong with this head. Evans doesn't have perfect quality control either; that's all I'm saying.

Well I posted these troubles on the Remo forums and people just seem to mention that there are a lot of dud heads out there. Apparently, the new ones are better made which makes sense but I can say that the old ones are still out there. People said that to buy them you should check them out first. Now, this is odd because 1: I don't have such a place to do so, and 2: how is looking at the head in a box going to tell you whether it's not going to fit or tune right...unless maybe it has a large dent in it.. :)

im not having problems with remo......nope....im not....

Kinda like how Yamaha started using plastic parts on their drums all over. Plastic washers and lugs and whatnot. And those companies and their complex $400 bass pedals that have so many parts they fall apart. What happened to the Speedking pedals and the belt drives? And the cost keeps going up even for stuff that's already been sitting on the shelves.

i havebeen having problems wth my 12" tom, i had evans coated g1s on, fine, changed to pinstripes, can't seem to get them right. going back to evans, probably clear g2s.

I've had three PS3s that didn't fit the kick very well. Two batters and one reso. That said, they sounded good, but it bugged me. The heads counter hoop left a gap between it and the bass drum hoop.

I had a 14 inch Vintage A that was dead as a door nail, and a Powersonic that the foam started peeling off of.

I'll keep using Ambassadors on my snares, but I think I'm pretty much done with Remo.
Evans has very consistent quality and they sound great.

I sent one of the heads back to Remo. They paid the shipping.

I do plan on addressing these issues with them.

I've had three PS3s that didn't fit the kick very well. Two batters and one reso. That said, they sounded good, but it bugged me. The heads counter hoop left a gap between it and the bass drum hoop.

I had a 14 inch Vintage A that was dead as a door nail, and a Powersonic that the foam started peeling off of.

I'll keep using Ambassadors on my snares, but I think I'm pretty much done with Remo.
Evans has very consistent quality and they sound great.

I had the same problem with 2 bass drum batters and 2 bass drum resos, but they did sound alright, but again the gap kind of bugged me. At least now I know I'm not the only one.

What contact address/number did you use? I bought TWO totally dead 26" coated Emperors ($$$$$). I contacted them via an email address on their site and never heard back.

The reason they wouldn't tune is that the underside ply often didn't lay flat with the batter side. There were wrinkles/waves, so the plies wouldn't tune the same, and therefore wouldn't resonate properly. They sounded dead, or at best, choked. Yet these heads get into the stores! So it's partly a manufacturing issue, but the bigger problem is Remo's lack of quality control.

Die-hard Remo fans tell me that they go to a store with a good selection and hand-pick their heads, and they have no problems. Then I explain the irony of having to separate the good heads from the bad ones, and reality starts to sink in.

With Evans, I haven't encountered any bad heads (and I also know that Aquarian's quality control is excellent.)

Bermuda

They don't always leave the factory with problem being evident. I bought a set of Vintage A's to try out. They all passed the tap test before I put them on. No wrinkles or other visible signs. Once they were installed 2 of the 3 were dead/choked and were not good. I removed them to investigate the issues and found wrinkles in the bottom ply and they failed the tap test miserably while the third head was fine.

Last edited:
What contact address/number did you use? I bought TWO totally dead 26" coated Emperors ($$$$$). I contacted them via an email address on their site and never heard back.

I called them and spoke to a lady named Angie in customer service. Waste of time so far. Haven't heard a word.

Remo Inc.
28101 Industry Drive
Valencia, CA 91355
Tel: 661-294-5600

Last edited:
I bought some pinstripes and i have the same problem thats why im switching to some evans ec2s. I prefer evans over remo.

I bought some pinstripes and i have the same problem thats why im switching to some evans ec2s. I prefer evans over remo.

the snareheads powerstroke 3,with white brush surface ,last only 2 gigs,especially if you use brushes,so i now use aquarian modern vintage,these last for ages,ive used remo for years but the quality is now suspect!

Thank you for explaining that tomtom, i used to work at gc and so often people would come in asking for the remo heads with oil and I would explain the same thing to them. For some reason people have trouble understanding this concept.

GC does not get seconds heads.

Remo's quality control sucks. When you get a head do the tap test, its not a perfect way to see how good a head is but if it sounds completely dead, move on to the next one. Although
Remo's dont last as long, imo they are the best sounding heads out there. Sometimes you'll get a junky head that only lasts a short time. They are the cheapest (decent) heads out there, cheaper than evans and aquarian. So that should be considered also.

I just got a bum pinstripe head that will not tune up properly on a fairly new 12" Gretsch USA Custom tom. I left a note on Remo's customer forum, so let's see what they suggest. I haven't tried using Pinstripes in a million years, and I was excited to try them again. Looks like I'll be going back to single-ply heads from now on.

Back